Follow

This is more an FYI than a question. My 90-year-old father was just placed in a nursing home in the past month after a bad fall, surgery and rehab. He has Parkinson's, CHF, T2 diabetes, and other issues. Last night, he called me around dinner time very confused. He has had more confusion after the fall and surgery, especially occassional sundowning, but never this bad. He told me he was going to go out and get a hot dog and asked if I wasnted to go. He said was going to rent a car and that his parents were there. Then he thought I was my mom, who is also deceased. He has def cognitive decline but has not been dx'd with dementia, yet. We have new neuro apt coming up next month. I was able to calm him and talk him down, and he realized he was confused, he wasn't agitated or mean, just confused. I was really worried this was the beginning of worsening cognitive decline or with seeing dead relatives, end of life, which I am still not convinced it may or may not be close. He finally calmed and didn't call back.

I went to visit him this afternoon and he told me had the 4th Covid booster yesterday and then got very confused . He was very distressed about it but realized he was confused and remembered calling me. I verified with the nurse he did indeed have a booster and that several other residents experienced similar side effects of confusion/delerium. It is better today but not 100% gone. I had no idea they were planning to give him a booster today but also I never would've known this could've happened.

Just an fyi for those of you with elders who may be getting a 4th booster to know what to expect or if this happens to them.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Cdriver, the feature of individual responses to posts is enabled only in the Q & A section, not in this section, so it's not you that can't reply - it's the format structure!
(1)

Gee, I feel so lucky that my partner and I, in our 80s, each having had our fourth shot, only got a craving for Chinese takeout.
Just trying to lighten up a bit the posts that inevitably follow the word "covid-19 " or "vaccine".
I will say that the literature is just FULL of things where some inexplicable "side effect happens" (ERs are famous for them) where someone "feels", "smells" something, then collapses and lo and behold doesn't the entire ER end up writhing on the floor. Of course, nothing is ever found to explain the occurance, which passes into the annals of Ripley's Believe it or Not.
I know that the Nursing Home will understand this reaction is "reportable" to the CDC (unlike our craving for takeout).
I am glad the recovery was so quick.
(1)

I cannot reply to each msg for some reason.

Gardenartist - my dad got Pfizer for all 4.

MJ - totally agree with you. I found out today a former classmate of mine died from complications of long Covid, unvaxxed. Got Covid, turned into pneumonia, recovered, then got pneumonia again and went on vent and died. He was only 53, no preexisting conditions. Very sad.
(1)

Cdriver - Several of the seniors that I know, my mother's friends, told me recently that they would not take anymore COVID vaccine shots. They said they felt weaker, and weaker after each shot and they never recovered to their old baseline. They said they had their 4th and last shot. No more.

Hope your dad will fully recover.
(3)

sp19690, I do wish I could post photos here. I'd post screenshots of a friend's Facebook page that's full of snarky anti-vax memes such as "How To Avoid Covid" followed by instructions on how to use earplugs, or "Omicron? And here I haven't taken down my Delta decorations yet!"

HAHAHAHA HOHO HOHOHO!

Did I mention that my anti-vax Facebook friend died of Covid in February?

My bad.
(2)

CDriver, which booster did he get? Pfizer? Moderna?
(1)

And there will be others who say the opposite. Just recently Fauci triple boosted got covid. Took paxlovid and got it again. So there's that. But cue the script we have been taught by the media that thank God he was triple vaxxed otherwise it would have been worse. What sick joke is being played on people. Meanwhile you have vaxxed people in their thirties, forties and fifties dying unexpectedly. Or lime Justin How her getting facial paralysis or his wife having a stroke. And others getting aggressive cancers. It seems to effect everyone differently. Many vaxxed are in the control group and not even getting anything but saline. But each booster you get increases your odds of getting the real deal. It's like russian roulette only with a needle.
(2)

I am 75, had my 2nd booster. Only side effect for a couple days after 2nd shot was Covid Arm. Haven't had Covid. On the other hand I know several people who have had Covid and some people who have died, all without vaccinations. I think the benefits outway the risks.
(2)

I am pro-vaccine but agree these side effects in elderly should be reported.
(0)

How many friggin boosters are they going to give people before they finally admit that they are garbage? I hope your dad continues to recover from the shot and it isn't permanent. They should be reporting these adverse effects to VAERS since more than one resident had the same side effects. But they probably won't.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter