Follow

...is a total farce if you have your loved one emergency-transported to a healthcare facility that is religious-based.

My mom had a bad fall and broke her hip in several places last week. She was in severe pain and already knocking on death's door, along with dementia and malnutrition. We knew she wasn't going to survive this event. We inquired about Death with Dignity but were continually stonewalled because, get this... we had her taken to a facility that was run by the Franciscan healthcare system.

Religious-based healthcare facilities don't allow Death with Dignity. This isn't really a question, but a heads-up warning that this could impact your loved one's end of life decisions.

Mom fell this past Monday, and she died yesterday. Granted she had a fentanyl patch and was administered morphine as needed for the pain, but she didn't need to suffer the way she did those days in between. The pain meds just weren't enough.

Long story short: Research NOW where facilities allow Death with Dignity before you have to witness the hospital prolong your loved one's suffering because of some stupid religious belief system.

My mom died Saturday at 2:15am, May 28th. She is finally at peace, re-united with her loving husband who died in January 2009.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Raysot, I'm sorry for your loss. You must be so relieved that she is no longer suffering. Take Care.
(1)

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your Mom’s story. Take comfort in believing you will be helping some people who need to face those decisions. Dying with dignity is one of those topics that need to be discussed more.
(1)

My condolences, I wish you peace thru all of this. Take comfort that she is released from it all…..My mom passed May 9th.. Im relieved for her.
(2)

Im so sorry for the loss of your mom. Take time for yourself now
(1)

Thank you. Thank you so much. It is still very raw for us. I've never cried so hard in my life. Cried over losing her and cried that she was finally free from the prison of her dementia and physical state.

We installed a camera in her AL apartment and nearly every night she would 'sundown', or just sit, crying, or begging for someone to help her.
(8)

I'm so sorry for your loss.

This must all be terribly raw. I hope you too will be able to find some peace in the weeks ahead. Wishing you comfort.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter