Follow

I was browsing at my local library and came across a slim volume called "The Swedish Art of Death Cleaning"?? I couldn't borrow it because it's on hold for 3 other folks, but I'm intrigued. It's apparently a Swedish concept of decluttering in old age, so that your loved ones aren't stuck with task. Has anyone else used this method?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My Mom use to donate one knick knack a year to the local hospital huge rummage sale. Cute stuff but it didn't even make a dent in the household inventory :(

I shouldn't gripe, I just viewed my own basement :P
(2)

Barb, I’m with you on being intrigued. I’ll have to look for the book at my library. We’ve recently downsized in house and “stuff” and I find there is continually more that can be done. My dad’s had me help him clean out a few times, his church has an annual yard sale for missions that he likes to contribute to, so he’s willing to go through his home once in a while. He’s aware that it’s also making it easier on those left to deal with it one day. I have an elderly friend who tells me she spent the first half of her life trying to get all the things she wanted and the the second half trying to get rid of them all!
(3)

Oh I saw this book reviewed on my Google feed this week. It's sounded like a decent little book that promotes a good concept.

I think about this sometimes - what if something happened to me....and my friends, or worse, my brother, found those few little things I never wanted anyone to see? Mainly my journals from when I was younger!  Full of marijuana-influenced, navel-gazing tripe. But some other things that would probably just embarrass the finder! Plus other stuff....I don't even know what to do with the family photos and memorabilia; it's not like my brother or I have kids to leave anything to.

My mom had to deal with 60+ years worth of semi-hoarded stuff when my grandad died. (Empty yogurt containers....who on earth keeps hundreds of empty yogurt containers?)  1-800-Got-Junk became her new best friends. 
(1)

A provocative title but it seems this is really just another book about de-cluttering and downsizing as we age, I'm not sure there is anything new to add to the dialogue there.
(1)

My mom, a borderline hoarder, says to everyone how hard it is for her to get rid of things, and jokes to all that she'll leave it for me to dispose of after she's gone. I'm not sure why she thinks there's humor in that? Maybe I need to head to the library or Amazon and buy some copies of "Death Cleaning" to strategically leave in the house.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter