Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I think that each family is different. Depends on the relationship you had with your parents, and what you expected to happen when they got old. If you never got along, too late now to learn how to make nice. If you always got along its easier because you don't self-talk yourself into being angry at your parents for aging.

I have to say I don't think that any of us are hero caregivers or extraordinary and it is what it is, people have been carging for their families for thousands of years. I am not saying it is easy, just wondering how we were sold on the notion that we somehow wouldn't have to pitch in and help. My grandparents went throught the holocaust and raised a family. I feel humble in comparison. Maybe we should not expect so much and be grateful for more. It won't change our circumstances or our parents behavior if it is not always nice, but it will lighten the burden we choose to carry by being angry.
(0)

There is a big difference between taking care of the very young and the very old. The very young are yours by choice. They grow up, generally become less dependent, and if you survive the teen years there can be a very positive longterm outcome. The very old just keep getting more dependent. The long term outcome is, well, the end. And they aren't necessarily yours by choice, but sometimes just by default. And many of us don't have the extraordinary love or unending patience, but are just muddling through and trying to do the best we can. It can be very depressing, frustrating, anger-inducing, but yet we still are here for them.
(0)

" Some days I feel like I will be able to handle whatever is coming my way, and other times I feel like I am going to snap. Does anyone have any advice with this and how to deal with stubborn" young, cranky/grumpy children? Have you heard this before? Do you see the connection, Weeza? There isn't much difference between the very young and the very old, is there? Think about it. This is a site for Agingcare.com, but if you hear, see and listen to the complaints of young parents with very young children, on a different website, you will hear the same questions asked. We all know that it is hard. Very hard, but if you don't wan't to do it, then don't do it. Find someone else to do this job. I meant it. This is the circle of life....the very young are hard to care for and the old are hard to care for. You didn't ask for this job. If there isn't the extraordinary love in your heart, then check into an alternative person or place to do this end-of-life caring.
(0)

For those of you whou mentioned that your parents started taking anti-depressants I have a few questions: 1) Going into it, did your parent(s) refuse to consider taking the drug?, 2) If so, how did you give him/her to start taking them and 3) What changes did you see other than the obvious - the depression subsiding? My Mom, who really needs to be on them has been adamant about not taking them - she thinks that they label you as crazy, that they will make her sick, etc. I have had conversations with her PCP, who thinks she needs to go on them and she argues with him. I just feel like no one will ever be able to convince her otherwise.
(0)

Wow, I can't beleive the amount of replies already. Thank you all for your kind words and advice. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that feels this way. I already feel better and have am thinking about the advice that you all have shared and plan on following some of it. I thank you all for encouraging me to post my vent sessions here and will continue to do so. I hope that I can also offer you all words of encouragement!

Everyone have a wonderful day!
(0)

Dear Weeza, Please read all these postings. This network has unbelieveable people on it that have been through the same thing you are dealing with. I too am a only child with divorsed parents. I had to move my dad in with me due to finances he did to himself. He has had three strokes and have left him depressed and has effected his ability to word find and process conversations. I did get him to a pysch and got him on medication. It seems to have helped him. I had to fudge a little on why i thought he should go. I wrote a letter to the dr prior to the appointment laying things out on what I saw the problems being. It worked out good by prewarning the dr. and my dad thought he was going because he could not sleep.
At the same time my dad moved in with me I went to my moms house one day and found her on the kitchen floor. She had been there a couple days. Long story on that - she is now in a ALF and has lost everything due to the circumstances she put herself in due to alcohol. I feel the same as you do. Good days and then bad days. I can't even double up running them around or taking them shoppping etcc because they hate each other. So not only am I a caregiver but I feel on some days like a cab driver. I take my dad to his places and then on some days I am right back to those same stores but with my mom. It is hair pulling most of the time. I hide in my bedroom alot and read. It is a cheap way to escape to another world.
I think the best advise on this posting I have read is take it day by day or if you have to HOUR by HOUR. I am currently going to counseling to try and deal with the anger and frusteration that I struggle with each day. It is a learning curve and a tough one on top of that. Know that you are not alone..... you have all of us and we understand. Hang in there and take a deep breathe. Keep searching for resources and as I always say "eat the sandwich in small bites and try not and jam the whole thing in your mouth at one time - you'll choke" Bless you !!!
(1)

Well put, Elizza!
(0)

Absolutely! Giving care is not limited to the actual care - it is the caring in our hearts, first!
(1)

It can be quite the blessing to care for our loved ones, but sometimes we need outside help. I help by providing the best resources available. They don't have the wherewithal to search these out, and I can't perform more than my Creator gifted me with. So I get the blessing of being able to be a blessing in peripheral ways. Mom, Dad, and FIL get the help they need, and my family can has more energy to devote to loving, like family can. The professionals have their niche, and children and grands have theirs. That way, everyone wins!
(1)

Dear Weeza,
The best advice from we who have been there and have survived is this: TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME
And if that doesn't work: TAKE IT ONE HOUR AT A TIME

When we project our troubles into the future, they tend to take on a life of their own and cause us to lose hope. Whenever that started to happen to me I countered it with the Serenity Prayer:
GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE; THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN; AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

If you can find the time to read it, I would also recommend you read "Elder Rage" by Jacqueline Marcell. I was in situation similar to yours several years ago and Jacqueline's story saved my sanity.
(3)

I called my mother's doctor and asked him if he thought an anti-depressant would be in order. He very much agreed and prescribed zoloft for my mother (also curt in general but it had increased to an almost intolerable level). There was a noticeable difference within 36 hours. It is a big help. No side effects for my mother - great side effects for us!
And another thing that might help - a friend recently sent me a message saying it is a blessing to be able to care for a parent! How's that for a good perspective? He also wished me wisdom, patience and energy. Good luck!
(1)

My dad was in severe debt, and is now in a nursing home on Medicaid. I don't have enough money to help him, but time to visit. I do all the paperwork, and finances for him, and leave the nursing care to the experts. I found lots of help out there, from legal, to personal, friends to organizations willing to help. There are resources, and there is help available, so I advise you not to quit, but rather, pray: "Help!"

And you have personal reasons to get help: your own personal survival and medical needs, and your children. Do you have a reason for guilt? Or is it false guilt? (You don't have to answer that question.) Since dad is selfish and ungrateful, that does not mean you are obligated to be subservient. Help him get help, by filling out a nursing home application, and get a Medicaid one while you are at it. You have no financial responsibility to him, and must care for yourself and children. Do not run away, but run to Social Services, Commission on Aging, or your local Senior Services. That's what they are there for. Is your Dad a Veteran? You can get help, so don't give up. Sounds like you need some direction, and some relief for yourself. Take care, and best wishes.
(1)

I am 43 years old, in the middle of a divorce, I have 4 kids and I have been caring for my father for 6 years. He has Parkinson's, Diabetes, Cancer and suffered a stroke on 9/10/09. Things were tough before, now he is completely unable to care for himself. I have entered into very "personal" care of my father as he is unable to use the restroom anymore. I work full-time from 5:00am to 2:30pm, get home and go into full care of dad. He won't allow his daytime caregiver to see him undressed, so he waits for me to do everything.
I have been depressed for a while, but now it has escalated to me becoming angry and I resent that I am having to deal with this, alone. My sister "can't help" as she is too busy. My kids are distant, but compassionate, but don't know what to do to help me (they are 14, 15, 22 and 27). My dad is, and has always been, a very selfish person who is completely ungrateful.He would be in a home, but he made some poor financial decisions, so I had to move in with him (guilt drove me to accept this responsibility), and now my world has collasped financially. I need
to know how I will ever be able to do this? I have even thought of diappearing one night...but my guilt would kill me. People say "find time for yourself", and I laugh...how? I can't afford to have my weekly caregiver come and "sit" with him, so it's me left here to deal with this. How are other people doing this?
(0)

Well, you just took a very good first step. Writing here helps by sharing your concerns, and clarifying your situation. You are not alone, as many are in similar circumstances. The answer is grace; as in receiving and extending. Grace = God's loving mercy. We all need that. You can read books on dementia/Alzheimer's, and attend a Support Group or two. Those wonderful tools will help you process what you and your parents are experiencing, and prepare you for the future. Of coarse no one knows for sure what the future holds, because the process is different for everyone. But, they will provide you with information, support, encouragement, and a step-back look at what you are going through.

I would also suggest you speak with your parent's Physicians regarding the depression issues. Take notes, and send off a list of concerns, asking for help. If there doctor is a good one, you may make some progress. Be strong and bold, and stand by your instincts, after seeking wise counsel. Caregiving is not for sissies. You may have to make some tough decisions, and the more information you have beforehand, the better.

I can relate to the ebb and flow of feelings. Such is life, regardless of what we have to face. Since this is a learning curve, expect challenges, successes and failures. Be gentle, both with yourself and your parents. Don't expect perfection from either, or to have all your questions answered perfectly.

Thanks for sharing your story, and the next time you feel stressed, know we can relate, and that this too shall pass. How to deal with stubborn, cranky/grumbling folks? The answer is grace. A long walk, talk with a supportive friend, and separation work wonders. Chocolate and gardening work sometimes, too. Bake cookies, laugh at the dumb stuff, and hug a friend. Last, but not least, remember to take care of you emotionally, physically and spiritually.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter