Follow

I posted a week or so about Dad doing poorly.

This morning I learned he has Aortic Stenosis and things are serious. My sister in law will be calling me later today to give me an update.

Apparently there is a minimally invasive valve replacement option, but whether Dad is a candidate for it, I do not know. I expect my sister in law will gather all that information before she calls me.

I wanted to give a shout out to my sister in law, I know many here do not like the "in-laws", being part of discussions around our parents, but she is a valued member of the family. As a physician, she is able to explain complex medical conditions in understandable terms. She can liaise with Dad's doctors on the family's behalf.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My mother who is 91 now had this a few years ago. I can't remember exactly her age when it was done but she came through it and afterwards said she could breathe much better. The hospital was willing to keep her 3 nights which made her eligible for rehab. She also had the less invasive procedure but had other health issues thus the 3 night hospital stay.

Ultimately it was her wish and the doctors decision to go through with this. He frankly asked her how long she wanted to live. Her reply was a long time referring to her father who made it to 98. She now has so many other ailments completely unrelated to this surgery. I imagine I will guilt myself after but I can't imagine 7 more years of visiting her in SN as compromised as she is with new ailments coming on and on.
(2)

My mother had TAVR at age 88-almost-99. My friend's father had it at age 97! Both recovered well.

On the subject of gallbladder removal, though, when my mother had an infected gallbladder at age 92, the surgeon would not remove it because of the risk of surgery to her. So she lived with a gallbladder drain for the rest of her life (her pulling it out might have precipitated her death). Even though she did not have surgery and thus no anesthesia, she was never the same mentally after entering the hospital.
(1)

Tothill:
I am wondering if your Dad went ahead with this procedure? I used to work surgery and in my day this wasn't available. Albeit I worked non-surgical unit with surgeries taking place at our sister hospital.
Am curious if this was done and how it went for your Dad.
(0)

My Dad had a valve replacement at the age of 65 so back in 1992. This new procedure is really neat. I see no problem in a 93 year old going thru it unless going under would be a problem. Its like having a gallbladder taken out now. Its just a few small incisions. No big scare halfway around you body.
(0)

A TAVR is not unusual in elderly patients. Two of my friends, of advanced age had it performed and are doing well. Remember that The former First Lady Barbara Bush, had her aortic valve replaced when she was over 90. I think, that it's a good option. Not having the valve replaced will mean that he should move to Hospice, since he wouldn't survive more than 6 months.
(0)

It's called TAVR. My phone isn't copying the link but Mayo Clinic has a good explanation.
(0)

Tothill, thank you for the update. This is a new one to me, the minimally invasive valve replacement? I have never heard of such a thing. I will be so looking forward to your update if this is the option chosen. And KUDOS to SIL.
(0)

Tot, I feel the same way about my sister-in-law, the MBA. She made our lives so much easier, taking care of mom's Financials and spending her money in the correct order!

My ex MIL had a minimally invasive valve replacement last year, at 92. She did fine. It was an outpatient procedure.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter