Follow

I'll be leaving this website, it's just too painful. My dad passed away during the early morning hours on Thursday.

He had been staying for a few days at a nursing home thru the hospice we were using. It was called a respite program to give the care givers a break for a few days. But my father was a very combative senior with dementia. And they over medicated him on Wednesday to make the transport back to the house easier. I saw him Wednesday after work and he was like a zombie from the drugs. I think basically he died from an overdose.

It's a mixed blessing I guess. One the on hand he was 93, had become more bedridden and as a result there was the daily clean ups of poop and urine in the bed. He had some dementia. So would he have wanted to continue to live that way.

I know my brother and I were getting very worn down from the daily routine. But I miss him alot.

This group was a good source of information and support. I want to thank you all. Take care everyone.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Sandy, I'm so sorry about the loss of your father. I hope you reconsider leaving the site. You have valuable insight and experience to share with new caregivers. My dad died over a year ago and staying here and sharing my experience has helped me.

((((((Sandy))))))
(0)

Sandy, I am so sorry. I hope the memories of the last years with your dad will be replaced soon with those of earlier times. It is a cruel disease that I hope future generations won't have to face. Hugs to you as you go through these first weeks without your father. He was lucky to have you and your brother there for him.
(0)

SandyC, I am so sorry for your loss and the dreadful experience. I've been a member of this site for 3-1/2 years; my mom passed away last Saturday and I too felt I wouldn't return. However, now new problems are starting with my dad, who is 94 and lives at home with my husband and daughter. His dementia is getting worse each day since mom died. God bless you and give you peace, a smooth transition from grief to serenity and always the strength to face each day.
(2)

SandyC, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad. Please know we're thinking of you and your family. Take care. (hugs)
(0)

Sandy, my condolences to you and your family. Daddys are always hard to lose. I miss mine everyday but I also know he is no longer suffering. Take your time to grieve and keep him fondly held in your heart. ((((hugs))))
(0)

Thank you. Even though we all realize that our parents who are in declining health would be better off in we can only hope will be a better place, it's still hard. Yesterday I did my first grocery shop where I wasn't shopping for him. I cried my way thru the store.
(1)

SandyC, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad. May you be comforted by your happier memories.
(0)

SangyC, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad. May you be comforted by your happier memories.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter