Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Always check the prescriptions he is taking because those drugs could very likely be causing his dementia and his behavior and he may not need them. Make sure your dad is taking some high quality nutritional supplements. A good vitamin B complex is excellent for the nervous system. Magnesium calms the nerves down. If he is taking a statin (cholesterol-lowering drug) TOSS IT OUT. Statins are a scam drug that lowers cholesterol and lessens the risk of a cardiovascular event by a less than 3%. Very lousy end result. At the same time, statins cause dementia, heart failure and muscle destruction. Oh and BTW, take it as a blessing in disguise that your husband moved out. You don't want a partner who cannot handle taking care of someone. Just imagine what he would do if you took ill and needed him to care for you. Good riddance to him.
(1)

So sorry you're in such a tough situation. Just to add to what others have said, people with dementia say a lot of things they don't mean. Resist the urge to "crisis manage". Don't swing into action and try to fix things each time an incident happens. Allow some time, consult with doctors, etc. to figure out what's really going on.

Moving him out of the facility after only a few days was probably too soon. I would consider moving him back into a facility and sticking it out longer. Give him and the staff time to get used to each other. Staff should expect this behavior from dementia patients. Maybe the facility was just a bad fit for him.

There are different kinds of facilities: some follow a social model (activities based), others follow a medical model(hospital-like). My mom currently lives at her home with a 24 hr caregiver. Her children want the best for her but she made it clear earlier in her life that under no conditions should we feel obligated to bring her into our homes. (My grandmother lived with us growing up and it caused alot of stress for my mom.). Her caregiver is wonderful but we know we will need to move her into a place eventually. We are looking into a facility that follows the "social model" for dementia care.

If you want to save your marriage, then move your dad out and ask your husband to meet you halfway. He needs to understand that you must take some time to care for your parent. That's what decent people do. Just like you would have cared for him (and he for you.... hopefully?). Don't sacrifice your happiness completely if you still want your relationship to work.

However, if you feel your husband wouldn't be there for you in sickness and health, then dealing with him may not be worth the additional strain. He's demonstrated he's not there through good times and bad. Maybe he's too immature or selfish.

Good luck.
(2)

You are in going through a tough situation and it's a shame that your husband couldn't support you. But, I truly believe all things work out for the best and you are doing the right thing. Hang in there!
(1)

My sympathies for all your problems that you face. What struck me was your comment about the contentious 3.5 yr marriage and your husband not tolerant of needy people so he bailed. I believe that if this man bailed on you for this situation, then he would not be there for you if and when you need him in the future in the event, e.g. you becoming sick yourself. I was married to a total narcissist for 20 years and I ended up going through a very tough divorce while I was caretaking for my mom who was a stroke survivor. I believe that divorcing him brought me eventual peace because if I hadn't it would have been in constant turmoil and stress because i would have been pulled in two different directions. this month was the 15th anniversary of my being the solo caretaker for my 91 year old mom. It is a lonely place to be at times, but that is preferable to constant turmoil in an unhappy marriage. Good luck!
(6)

When we moved our mother into an assisted living facility, it was against her will, but none of us could handle her. We were asked by the facility to not come visit for 4 weeks - just to give her a chance to accustom herself. Our first visit was tentative, at best, but now, mother doesn't even remember that she had another place. Please give your dad more time than 3 days. I betcha he will learn to like the place. We had found a facility that has music, bible study, field trips, physical exercises. They are sure to knock on her door when time for group activities, so she doesn't have too much time to brood. She's happily adjusted. I'm glad we moved her to assisted living because she wasn't eating well, missing her meds and had baracaded herself into her room, now she's integrated and doing well.
(5)

I am so sorry for you, I totally understand, my mom lives with me moderate dementia along with other diseases and I am her full time caregiver, can't afford any help, husband and I of 11 years are divorcing, men come and go, but a mom and dad are the only ones we get, It really hurts me to see husbands not have empathy, I will never remarry maybe date, maybe not, as long as I take care of mom and am good with God that really is all that matters to me, will keep you in my prayers, God Bless
(3)

How good are the chances of your husband and you patching things up? Do you want to work on your marriage, or was it too rocky? I am not one to just throw away a perfectly good marriage for a situation that is temporary and can be worked out other ways. As is usually true, Jeanne said what I was going to say. TX has some of the finest assisted living places in the US. I don't know where you are in TX, but have a look around. Since he has a caregiver, he may be even happier in an independent living facility.

Unless your marriage was already over, I think it should be your first priority. I have a feeling from what you said, though, that things were already a bit rocky. I guess you'll have to decide if your marriage is worth saving. You mentioned you were religious. A good movie to watch is "WWJD: the Woodcarver." I believe it is on Netflix if you subscribe to that. It might give you some ideas.
(4)

Wow! My heart goes out to you. What a heavy load you are shouldering right now!

Just a few observations to share -- no overall solution :(

Trying a facility for three days is not a fair trial. Many persons with dementia would take weeks or months to settle in. My Mom moved in with my sister. She has a lovely "apartment" there and loves my sister and her husband very much. They are great with her. Mom has been there 2 months and she still isn't fully settled in. These things take time.

Many people with dementia need a secure facility, to minimize flight risk or simple wandering.

My husband often claimed he was being held against his will. He even called the sheriff's office to make this claim. He lived with me in the home we'd lived in for a dozen years before his dementia was diagnosed.

I don't know if any of this information is useful. Just know that your dad's behaviors are not unique.
(12)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter