Follow

Dad spent 2.5 weeks in the hospital. It took awhile for the doctors to figure out what was happening, rule out other causes and stabilize him.

Dad has always insisted he would never go into a home.

But after a few days at home he is realizing how much socialization he was getting in the hospital. I don't think he would agree to be in a home, but living with my brother is lonely. My brother has young children, they are an active family, too busy to be Dad's entertainment.

It got me thinking, how some people post that their loved one is always wanting to go to the hospital, it could be they enjoy the attention and it wards off the loneliness.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Miasmom.

Dad loved the dogs he grew up with and refused to allow us to have dogs growing up. Part of his narcissism. He was afraid Mum and us kids would like a dog more than we liked him.

The first dog I had an an adult he abused. So, no therapy dogs are not for him.
(2)

if your dada likes dogs, maybe consider therapy dog visit. If you contact one of the organizations, they can send an individual and dog to your house. I used to belong to
Therapy Dogs International. www.tdi-dogs.org
(0)

Can he have visitors? I always kept my father's church friends (closer geographically than relatives) informed. They flooded him with cards, which a relative posted on a bulletin board. They also visited him, as did neighbors to whom I reached out, especially if they had animals. Dad used to enjoy sitting outside and interacting with neighbors walking their dogs.

Do you think he'd be interested in Senior Center activities? You might contact his, get a newsletter or something which includes upcoming activities, and ask if he'd like to go.

If his son won't take him, some Senior Centers have arrangements by which they rent small buses which might be able to pick up him then return him home after the activities. And they typically can use help with their various activities.

If he's physically able, he might also consider volunteering, One of the local Lowes is hosting events for people to help gather, pack and label packages for Ukraine. From the news photos, it looks like dozens of people are helping.

What about military organizations? Is he a Veteran? Local VFWs have events, and sometimes can use volunteers.
(1)

My mother was on a first name bases when it came to hospital staff before I placed her. She sought the attention from having people around her at all times,
(1)

Beatty,

Dad was involved in a post stroke study before Covid hit. He quit, because of the old people in it. He is 93.

Dad is a narcissist and believes he is far superior to most his peers. He does not like being around lesser beings. He does like the attention of professionals.

He has a group of people he calls on a regular basis.
(3)

I firmly believe that my mother lived until she was 95 precisely BECAUSE she lived in Assisted Living & had tons of people fussing over her 24/7.

Elders who carry on about 'not wanting to be in a 'home'' really don't know what they're missing out on. And wind up going to the hospital for entertainment purposes in many cases. Sad but true.
(1)

I used to refer to the hospital as Club Med for my father. He loved to be fussed over so weekly visits to the ER over nothing we’re not uncommon.
(3)

An unexpected positive after a hospital stay - reassessing some values!

What opportunities exist locally that Dad could get to? Eg local seniors groups or even rehab exercise groups?
(1)

My in laws have been in the hospital so much that it might as well be their personal Marriott. During omicron, for example, fil demanded to be moved to a room with a better view…and staff did it. That’s how much regulars they are.

It is also their expectation that all family visit them multiple times daily.they could have his and her backpacks with spare chargers and depends and sweats, but eschew this so it’ll result in more visits.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter