Follow

He was in California. I lived in vegas and by the time I got there the doctors gave him something. I am not sure what it was but after that he went into a coma and passed. I just need some answers after all these years.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
What a sad and traumatic event for you. When did your father die? Did the medical staff give you some explanations at the time?

Many people have a stroke and don't die from it. but a large number do die. Stroke is the third leading cause of death in the United States. More than 140,000 people die each year from stroke in the US. Many people who don't die are disabled by a stroke. Stroke is the leading cause of serious, long-term disability in the US.

Smoking and untreated high blood pressure are big risk factors for having a stroke. Some street drugs are also implicated in causing strokes.

What kinds of answers are you looking for, Jess?
(3)

I am sorry for your loss.

I know how this can feel. I know that we lay people tend to want to think there is a one for one relationship between the last medical procedure or drug, and the bad out come.

I also know that the stroke you saw was the tip of the iceberg. The profound damage to the brain hits randomly everywhere...like throwing a dart at the wall. What part of the brain is destroyed is totally random. Remember the brain is the control for all our organs.

There will never be a way for you to know what brain function suddenly shut down. So, we try to figure it out from what we think we do know.

I am no different. I will never know the exact cause of my Mom's death. It hurts.

We both will have to wrap our heads around the unknowable part of all this, and little by little heal.

I am sorry for your loss
(1)

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I hope that you can find the answers you are looking for.
(1)

You say you are seeking answers "after all these years", so I assume your father's death is not recent. Something that may comfort you is understanding the physiological nature of brain injury. The initial event, be it caused by a car accident, fall or stroke, is not the end of the damage that occurs. Despite his ability to speak on arrival at the ER, there would have been continued swelling, a domino effect of damage spreads to neighbouring brain tissue, chemicals and proteins are released that continue to wreak havoc. Sometimes timely medical intervention can control these damaging effects, but as Jeanne pointed out, unfortunately people often do die of stroke, even those who are under medical care.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter