Follow

My dad died in 2018 just six weeks after being diagnosed with inoperable liver cancer. He faced his mortality with incredible grace, and he took that time to call everyone who was important to him and tell them how much he appreciated them. He was my mother's caregiver and he entrusted her care to me with full confidence, and I learned compassion, patience and kindness for my mother from him. "She's built up a lot of credit," he told me.

Near the end he had a Facetime call with my older son and his girlfriend. These two were like peas in a pod from the time they'd met in high school and they'd just graduated from college a few months before and moved to Colorado to start grad school and work. My dad told them, "I have only one regret, and that's that I won't get to see your wedding."

I was in the room during this call, but it just about killed me. They weren't even engaged yet -- they were only 22 years old -- but he knew as we all did that they'd get married one day.

Now the wedding is upon us on April 23, and I hope I can get through it without being a blubbering mess. My dad was so very proud of all his grandchildren, and he loved my son's fiancee like his own. I, too, regret that my dear dad won't be there to see his namesake stand up and get married.

I also hope I don't fall off my high heels...

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Awe. Bittersweet story. ((Hugs))
(0)

My (deceased) brother's son is getting married on the 30th - I can relate.
(2)

First, when my niece got married she had an empty seat beside her grandmother's (My mom who raised my niece) seat on the front row that was for her deceased step-grandfather's (my stepdad who also raised my niece) place. Niece had a photo of my stepdad on the seat in tribute.

Second, I totally believe your father will there in spirit, so he will be there!

Congratulations on gaining a daughter! Have a joyous day. *hug*
(0)

There will be a display of photos of those who were no longer with us, so both my parents and my husband's dad will be there in memory.

I'm a champion blubberer, but I've recently discovered that my son the groom is, too, as is the bride's father and one of the bridesmaids. I may be the one who's the most together after all, because I'm just kind of ready to be past the emotions.

Did I mention that the weekend after the wedding is the estate sale for my parents' house? And it's on the same day as what would have been my mother's 93rd birthday? And my birthday is the day after that, and it'll be the first birthday in my life that I won't share with my mother?

Nah, I'm totally fine... 😣
(1)

Yout can Honor your husband at your Sons Wedding, With a Memory table, Photos etc. They did this for my Nieces Wedding, her Mama was my little Sis❤
(1)

Start the day with a 'love you Dad' thought. If he couldn't be there, he would be so glad you were! Be thankful & enjoy the day! This is life after all... The good times, the sad times, the funerals & the weddings.

You know, even if a day is totallly bone wearying & tear inducing emotional - I want to live it, to experience it.

To feel ALL the feels.
Cry if you want to cry.
Laugh as well.

(Then maybe sleep for 3 days)

May you make many memories on the coming special day 🤗
(1)

Just an idea. Take a chair at the family table and put a place setting there with a picture of Dad.
(5)

Congratulations on such a great match for your son. And, Mamas are allowed to blubber at their kids’ weddings!
Bring some extra eye makeup to do a touch up between the ceremony and the pics, and let us know how those heels held!
(1)

When my dad was dying in June of 2015, kind of unexpectedly, my son was planning to get married in August. Dad went onto hospice care in his room at the ALF and was comatose in a hospital bed in the living room. My son decided to push up his wedding, on the spur of the moment, and get married by the hospice chaplain, in dad's room at the ALF, in front of his bed, b/c dad too wanted to see his only grandson get married. I took his bride out shopping for a dress and ordered a small wedding cake for the ceremony. We removed their furniture from the ALF apartment and brought in a bunch of chairs for the guests.

Dad woke UP the moment the chaplain came in to perform the ceremony & my son & his bride were standing before him! He smiled and said "I love you both" and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. The chaplain performed the ceremony and dad stayed awake the entire time, miraculously. We all got to kiss him and say some words to him before he closed his eyes once again. He passed away 18 hours later.

If you cry at your son's wedding, so be it. Your dad will be there for the event in spirit, that you can count on! Just make sure your heels aren't TOO high in case you lose your balance. But if you do, your dad will be there to prop you up, even if you don't believe in such things.

Congratulations on this blessed event, MJ! Have fun & dance a lot too.
(2)

You won't fall off your heels; your dad will provide unseen support. Don't worry about being a blubbering mess. If you need to blubbering a bit, do it. Know that you're dad would happy! After you blubber, enjoy the day! Congrats on the happy event!!!
(0)

You had a wonderful father. Enjoy the wedding, knowing that he approved of their marriage. Wear flats. ;)
(2)

MJ, your dad will be there. For sure. (((Hugs))))).
(4)

MJ, thanks for sharing this very touching, emotional and thoughtful action of your father. He sounds like a very special person.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter