Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My mom also has dementia, been caring for her now 7 years , she lives with me and it get worse everyday, when it is to much walk out and breathe or cry, it helps releive my stress and i assure her it is just the diease and not her and i totally understand and that i love her more than anyone in the world and she will be with me till she goes to be with our Lord, will keep you in my prayers
(0)

You can put your father in an NH or Assisted Living if he can still take care of himself. Then, you can be his advocate - visit regularly to ensure that he's being treated right. You've worked in an NH before, so you know what to look for when you visit your father.

Just to give you an idea, mom had early onset of dementia/Alzheimer in her early 50's. When I was age 23, I stayed to help father with her. That was 24 years ago. Mom has been bedridden for about 13 years. She has finally passed away this past March.

You and hubby are in your 40s. Who knows how long your father will live - and you putting up with his abusive actions for years and years. I think you can assuage your guilt if you visit regularly if your father ends up in either AL or NH. It's a difficult situation and it will be based on what you can live with or prepared to give up. If you like, why don't you hop around this site and learn what people have done or put up with their parents living with them. If you think you and hubby can handle that, then, so be it. If you don't think you can handle that year after year, then, so be it.
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter