Follow

“Bill” had dementia and was a stroke and cancer survivor, age 80. “Alice,” his wife, was his caregiver and MPOA. They were both physically active at their retirement community, and he played bocce twice a week. He had recently quit driving. Six months or so after the Covid epidemic started in 2020, Alice told me that wearing masks makes people sick and that they had stopped wearing them. She was very proud that her state, Florida, was open more than most. They didn’t curtail their activities and continued to go into stores, restaurants, performances, etc. Alice believed that Covid is a plot and not real. She said: That hospitals diagnose Covid when it’s really something else so they can get payments from the government. That they over report deaths from Covid because they can get payments from the government. That Covid tests give people Covid. That a treatment for Covid, remdesivir, kills people. Alice got sick three weeks ago. She wouldn’t take a Covid test but had the symptoms and recovered at home. Bill soon became sick too with a nonstop cough and a temp of 103. She took him to the hospital, and when they wanted to test him for Covid, she said no, he just had a cold. They tested him anyway, test was positive, and they admitted him to the Covid ward. She angrily warned them not to treat him with remdesivir before they sent her home. I don’t know whether they gave him the treatment or not. She was desperate, she said, to get him out of the hospital before they killed him, but he was too sick to be discharged. A few days later, Alice and family members were allowed to suit up and visit him for 5 minutes to say goodbye. Not long after, Alice was a grieving widow. My understanding is that Bill’s health issues are co-morbidities that don’t bode well if one contracts Covid. Do the persons who were informing Alice (internet, podcasts and likeminded people) realize that? Considering the judgment against Alex Jones over the Sandy Hook misinformation, would these misinformed influencers be liable in any way for Bill’s death? How pervasive are Alice’s beliefs? (I don’t know if her beliefs were also his.) Thoughts? Do you know what your caregiver would order for you if you were in Bill’s situation? BTW, Alice and Bill are both college graduates, so neither of them is stupid.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Sars originated in China in 2002. Wanna bet that was a bastardized version of a weaponized flu even back then. The reality is China, the US and other countries have been doing stuff like this for a long time.
(0)

SARS-CoV-2 (covid19) is a corona virus, influenza is a different virus altogether 🤦‍♂️
(0)

Remdesivir can cause kidney damage. Covid was an intentionally weaponized flu virus. Bill was 80 with comorbidities and could have gotten deathly ill from the traditional flu. The vaccine does not prevent infection. If you want to get the vaccine and the million boosters every year that's your choice but I am sick of people's worship of said vaccine like its a religion and the comments insinuating the unvaccinated get what they deserve. Seriously?

Existence on this planet means people are going to get sick and die from something. It's inevitable. People have had side effects and died from the vaccine. But the cult worship of said vaccinnation don't care about that. I am so tired of the propaganda crap regarding this half assed vaccine with boosters. And the stupid statement I hear from the vaccinated when they catch covid and parrot well at least I wasn't hospitalized because I got the vaccine. Yes you and 99.98% of vaccinated and unvaccinated are not hospitalized when they get covid.

And sooner rather than later Alice or Bill will die and one will become a widow or a widower. That's life when you are 80 with comorbidities. The real tragedy is people warehoused in nursing homes pissing and defecationg on themselves and out of their minds. That just keep on existing.
(2)

This comment is for NYdaughterinlaw and also others who have weighed in here - Bill and Alice live in an area where Hurricane Ian hit. It was about to make landfall when Bill became sick. His temp rose to 103 very quickly. He passed out on the floor. Alice measured his blood oxygen level and it was going down. She didn't believe he had Covid (because she thinks it's a hoax) but Bill was a stroke survivor and she was concerned about the oxygen level to his brain. She didn't know how long the hurricane would be in the area once it arrived but as his caregiver thought that Bill should be in a hospital so he could get oxygen. No ambulances would be getting through during the storm, so how long would be they be trapped at home? She drove him to the hospital. When they told her he had Covid, she said he didn't. She refused remdesivir. She didn't drive him to the hospital to get hydroxychloroquine treatment. I never stated that they got Covid on an airplane; they don't fly or travel. Alice contracted it somewhere near where they live as she was going about daily activities. I am a 24/7 caregiver for my LO, we're all caregivers. My questions were clearly stated and are about caregiving, which requires even more challenges and decisions in this time of pandemic. I find discussion beneficial, but it becomes useless when someone hasn't read the original post.
(1)

I am a cancer survivor and DH is a liver transplant patient. Both of us were/are considered high risk. We are both quadruple-vaxxed.

Our SIL, with a PhD in immunology and an MD on gastroenterology did a TON of research and felt strongly that immunizations were the best answer. He saw a few deaths from it in the hospital, but not many. Our entire family vaxxed up (35+ people).

His own parents refuse to be vaccinated and have had covid 3 times each. They also don't get flu shots, or Dtap or ANYthing, believeing it all be a conspiracy.
Since they've made their choice, SIL has told them they are not allowed around his kids. One of his boys has asthma and has spent far too many nights in the hospital, fighting to breathe. So his parents have never even SEEN the youngest g-child.

It's their choice.

I had covid, once and I was sick for 2 weeks. SIL tried to admit me to the hospital, but I didn't feel that was necessary as I kept my O-sats in the 90's. I finally did a round of Paxlovid and recovered right after that.

I know quite a few people who refused to vax up. One in now in Hospice at the age of 67, had lung problems and a bout of covid is what is finishing her life. It's sad, but she went with her firm belief that the vaccine was not needed.

Yes, we're free to make our choices. When we do that, we also choose the outcome, whether we like it or not.
(4)

High dose aspirin recommendations and usage killed a lot of people during the Spanish flu. If you want to really explore it further. Plus secondary bacterial infections in the lungs killed many who got the Spanish flu.
(0)

History repeating itself. The flu pandemic of 1918 had the same issues as covid. Same unbelievers. Same refusing to wear a mask [which were made of glaze back then so very uncomfortable].

Even some Mayors didn't believe in the pandemic and still had their huge city parades which packed the streets only to increase the number of people getting sick. Around 675,000 people died from that pandemic. Found some who died in my family tree.

Good heavens, one would think one would learn from the mistakes of the 1918 pandemic and not repeat it 100 years later.
(3)

This is a discussion board so I think we can discuss things other than Caregiving.

I live in South NJ about 2 hrs from NY state. This virus was real. We were lucky it didn't hit our area as hard as it did NY and Northern NJ. I actually think my area had COVID during the last part of 2019 and early 2020. My husband and I were sick for 2 weeks as were others in our town. Doctors said "not the flu". Were we all doopt and the Government was well aware of the virus, probably. Were we all misinformed, probably. Did our State governments go a little overboard, I think so. But in the beginning they were trying to curb the spread.

I just read an article where they are saying that Polio information on how many people actually got it was exaggerated at the time. I know of one person, out of 5k living in my town at the time, contracted polio. I worked with a woman whose sister contracted it back in the 50s. Did taking that little pink sugar cube stop the spread...or was there no epidemic, just a few contracted it. We will never know.

Same with COVID. We will never know if the measures we took did or didn't do any good. My BIL, PHD in Immunology, says Fauci had no idea what he was talking about. He is an infectious disease Doctor has no credentials for Immunology. My BIL chose to get the vaccine so we followed suit. We had our 2 + the booster. We were due for second booster when we went on our trip. We came home with COVID. Just head cold symptoms. So then we had to wait for 2nd booster which we haven't gotten yet. Going to Dr today so will discuss it with her.

COVID is here to stay. My daughter did everything by the book and still contracted it last Thanksgiving. We did good till June. Had to be tested before our land cruise and tested before we got on the ship. Masks were required but not strictly adhered too. We came home with it. People with health problems die from the flu too but you don't hear about that. We had a classmate who had bad Asthma, got the Flu in his 40s and passed.

I say...go with your gut. Its a shame about Bill. Even with being vaccinated he could have still contracted it and died. We will never know. Its a Catch 22...damned if you do and damned if you don't.
(0)

Good news Boston University is doing gain of function research on covid and just created a stronger strain of the virus that killed 80% of the mice infected with it. I guess they didn't learn their lesson from fauci and his experiments that unleashed covid on the world.
(4)

I believe it is real and possibly coming back worse than ever, I am hoping I am wrong.
In Europe especially England there is new omicron variant which evades all treatments and vaccine is somewhat effective against worst symptoms. Somewhat not always.
I don’t believe all this conspiracy theories as much as I read them, including Alex Jones, but, for all countries to get together and create so much misery?
I do wear mask all the time. This is for me and others.
I am careful as my husband has Parkinson’s and now had cancer as well, all is good, but, his immunity is compromised.
(3)

Why would Alice take her husband to the hospital if she didn't trust the professionals who were going to treat him and/or didn't believe in the medicines they were going to give him?

If she wanted hydroxychloroquine and the hospital refused, why did she agree for him to be admitted? She could have signed him out against medical advice or AMA.

The doctors and nurses were not trying to kill people. They were doing the best they could under extraordinary circumstances! Remdesivir, IMO, did little to help anyone who ended up in the hospital with COVID. Yet, it was the "standard of care" during a pandemic, which hadn't happened in the USA in over 100 years. So, it didn't help but it also didn't hurt.

How do they know they got the virus on an airplane? They could just have easily been infected prior to flying.

I know plenty of people who are "college graduates" and don't have the sense that G_d gave geese. In fact, they're some of the most ignorant people I've encountered.

And did you have an actual question or did you just come here to make a statement about COVID, Bill and Alice??
(3)

I think this post is more suited to the Herman Cain Awards over on reddit than on AgingCare - I doubt anybody here is interested in revisiting this contentious issue.
(9)

Her own research is what "Alice" did. I don't know if she regrets that as she has been busy with funeral arrangements and I won't discuss it with her until she brings it up. It seemed that "Bill" was living his best life, so active with bocce, kayaking, other things he liked, so even though it might have been good that he is spared the EOL dementia issues, he's missed out on what was still good, and of course, Alice is distraught. Lealonnie, I'm very sorry about your SIL. My SIL also died of Covid, as have many friends. I have at least one dear friend who is believed to have long Covid and is being studied for that. He recently moved to assisted living because of it; he was operating at the top of his game in July 2020 when he caught a mild case of Covid and recovered quickly, but then developed brain fog and hasn't been able to shake it. I'm curious about how you've tied cancer to your Covid vax?
(1)

My SIL caught Covid, went to the hospital and was breathing just fine. On the phone speaking to her BFF in fact, not short of breath, nothing. The hospital determined she needed to be 'put on a ventilator' to save her life, for some unknown reason. She went into cardiac arrest while being intubated, but they 'think' they brought her back with CPR; at least her heart was beating once again. When they extubated her 11 days later, after giving her NO NUTRITION whatsoever during that entire time, she passed away within 11 minutes. I'd like someone to explain to me the reason for 'no nutrition' being given to intubated Covid patients in the hospital.

Remdesivir DOES kill people. Masks don't work, not even N95's. Just ask my daughter the RN and her former fiance who BOTH caught Covid on a plane ride while fully masked up wearing N95s.

Everyone has a story about Covid. Everyone also has an opinion about it. The media and the "CDC" and the WHO has unfortunately skewed our thinking and our faith in public health to the point that NOBODY knows WHAT to believe anymore. And that is the only truth we can take from this pandemic.

And yes, of course Covid is 'real'. I had 2 elderly aunts who both died of it in 2020. And of course there were treatments available all along to prevent all these deaths from happening in the first place, but were villainized and prevented from being used, for WHAT reason I still don't know!

After THREE YEARS we still don't have a good treatment protocol in place for this virus!! Think about that for a minute! And we are still in a 'state of emergency' so the vaccines can be used on that basis precisely so the manufacturers have NO LIABILITY for any deaths or injuries those injections cause us!

A big mess, that's what Covid turned out to be. An ongoing mess that has no end in sight, either.

I don't know why things happen the way they do. But I do know that 'misinformation' runs both ways on this (and many other) topics. In my opinion, nobody passed along MORE 'disinformation' for the past 3 years than our very own CDC and 'esteemed' Dr Fauci who's suddenly 'retiring', now that he's in the hot seat & answers are being demanded of him. He's certainly been a 'misinformed influencer' to MILLIONS of people, but what's he liable for? Nothing, apparently, if he 'retires' quickly enough, eh?

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend's husband. But perhaps it was a blessing in disguise since he had dementia. This is how we are choosing to look at my SILs passing: as a blessing in disguise in spite of the fact it NEVER should have happened. She had liver and kidney disease and had she not died at the hospital's hands, she would have died a much more painful death within the next year afterward.

I, btw, had 3 Covid 'vaccines' and developed cancer afterward. So I'm not an 'anti-vaxxer' but I am NOT a believer in these shots at ALL. It's pure stupidity to believe everything (or mostly ANYTHING) the MSM pushes at us, that is 100% certain. It's wise to do one's own research on things & draw one's own conclusions. That's my belief & I'm sticking to it.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter