Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
2 3 4 5 6
Latest two highest rates of transmission from studies of spread show indoor dining at full service restaurants number one spreader with fitness gyms right behind. Apparently worse than most outdoor rallies. Highest spread likely because more people doing this than going to parades, demonstrations, rallies. In the case of restaurants, 3 times higher change of getting it. They think it is because of time spent in single indoor space, no masking because of eating, and meeting with others you aren't seeing otherwise socially. Interesting. Studies continue,and of course like statistics, you can make them say pretty much anything it you tweak them a bit. They get repeated and you never know where they come from , how many studied, etc.
(1)

The comment made about swine flu is deceptive. "CDC estimates show those infections resulted in about 274,000 hospitalizations and 12,500 deaths, or a fatality rate of 0.02% among case. I am not saying 12,500 deaths is nothing but it sure is better than 247,000 deaths from covid.
(1)

News story from El Paso:

https://kfoxtv.com/news/coronavirus/el-paso-moves-to-10-mobile-morgues-for-covid-19-deaths-as-judge-wants-to-extend-shutdown
(2)

Happy as a clam keeping away from people. I wish more people would plan for end of life and get their paperwork in order. I'm worried about our nurses and doctors who already are burned out, being forced to provide heroic measures and futile care. I pray - a lot. I'm worried about how another round of lockdown will affect young and middle aged people who need to work in order to earn money for the life that will come after the pandemic. I remind myself that in 1918, 50 MILLION died worldwide or one-third of the population at that time.
(2)

HaileyBug, look up "Covid-19 spread studies". You will see it is spread mostly by our grouping together, at times without masks. In my daughter's town recently a party for the Sea Hawks. 17 attendees. 10 infected at once. 1 dead. Whether bar or nursing home, those gathered together by choice or chance at at risk, and age and body type predicts their likely outcome. Much is not known about covid, but much IS, and how and why it best spreads isn't a question. It will be with us for a long time. But being protected to the tune of 60 to 70% beats no protection at all. I have not ridden a bus in 7 months. I miss it very much. And all the things I used to do that I cannot, at 78, now risk.
(2)

I think it's a little of each Hailey. The only way to ensure that nobody gets covid is to totally lock everyone into their most intimate bubbles and then vigorously stamp out any signs of a resurgence (like they did in China) and that is obviously never going to happen. It's kind of like wearing your seat belt when driving and following all the rules of the road, that doesn't 100% guarantee your safety or protect you from other bad drivers but it does decrease your personal risks. Way back in the beginning I made the parallel to trying to navigate a war torn city; there are possibilities of unseen snipers (single transmission) or suicide bombers (super spreaders) picking people off when they venture out of their safety zone, chances are good that you won't encounter one or that if you do you can avoid grievous harm but the possibility is always there and you need to plan accordingly.
(4)

careinhome;

I'm nosy??? For defending an assumption you made regarding someone else's comment??? If you had merely questioned what she meant by her statement, I wouldn't have given it a second glance, but you ASSUMED.

Definition of nosy
adj - offensively curious or inquisitive

I may be curious and/or inquisitive (*NOT if asking gets into someone's personal business*) as I like to learn more, but offensively? Nope. Generally I mind my own business, but comments like yours irk.

You were the one who ASSUMED you knew what Harpcat meant.

You basically accused Harpcat of wishing death on the governor.

You were the one who ASSUMED you could read Harpcat's mind or read meaning into what Harpcat said. I merely presented other ways of looking at what was said.

"Good thing we have you to solve all the world's problems."

Again, assumptions. Whoever said I could solve the world's problems?? If I could, I would've done it long ago.

"I guess you wonder often why people don't listen to you more."

More assumptions. How do YOU know other's don't listen, or that I even tell others what to do or think?

Hopefully you didn't wager anything on this:

"I bet you are a HOA president just like Cynthia on the Progressive commercials."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not familiar with this "Cynthia" as I don't watch TV. It's mostly garbage.

How's about we just get back to the topic AlvaDeer started?
(2)

The question is ..... How are so many peopl getting COVID?

Are people not following the guidelines?
The guidelines do not work?
(1)

How the virus is wrecking my life:

Eldest son's senior prom: cancelled.

He and his best cousin both graduated in June: No graduation ceremony. Not even the planned visit/celebration dinner with my dad & his wife who were going to come up from Florida for it.

Two of my sons have summer birthdays, one turned 18: no traditional birthday parties for them.

Annual camping trip for my three sons and husband in Boy Scouts: cancelled. Literally the ONLY time I have the house to myself (well, besides mom) all year, and I so look forward to it. Gone.

Our Troop and Pack are dying financially and therefore losing members, because we are never allowed to have proper meetings; the EEE scare last fall prevented any camping until December, then the virus hit. No camping of any kind all year, which we all do together with Scouts and love to do as a family.

Annual family excursion to the local (one of the biggest in the country) Renaissance Fair (it sounds trivial but it's always been a big deal for us): cancelled.

My middle son graduated elementary school, he was"valedictorian": ceremony cancelled. No recognition for all his hard work. Very demoralizing.

My youngest son hates distance learning and is growing increasingly frustrated, constantly interrupting me and middle son while we try to homeschool.

Youngest son began grinding his teeth a few months ago from the stress. Wore most of his baby teeth molars down to nubs before I realized. Make a simple dentist appointment to begin to correct the problem? Nope sorry, "we are still trying to catch up with our regular cleaning appointments. We can see him in a month." Same situation with eldest son who now has painful wisdom teeth coming in.

My elderly mom with dementia who lives with us, whom I take every summer to visit her brothers and sister in Ohio: no visit this year, probably the last year she would have recognized anybody.

Annual extended in-law family Christmas Eve celebration: cancelled. (I guess I really can't complain about that, I hate going there lol)

Me, as a SAHM, being literally trapped at home for 7 months straight now with all of my kids, when they would normally be out of the house for at least 6 hours a day, while trying to care for my mom who is rapidly deteriorating. Hubs gets to go to work, never had to stay home because he is "essential", is too tired to help. (Has no problem going to help his mom anytime she needs yardwork done, though.)

My son is playing a keyboard right next to my head while I try to concentrate enough to just write this. I can't tell them to just stop and go away because I know they are just as cooped up and frustrated as I am, and I know I can bear the brunt of the stress, so I just let them do whatever helps them, even if it drives me up a wall. I try to get us out of the house as often as possible but things are expensive, or closed, and they are getting sick of the same old "taking a walk or bike ride".

I am not a virus denier. I wear my mask whenever I go out....But locking down the entire population instead of just the vulnerable...it's starting to seem like a bad idea. Suicides, drug abuse, alcoholism, domestic abuse are all skyrocketing and I can see why. I even find myself having a bit more rum a bit more often lately. This can't continue...or the solution will become worse than the problem.

My brother, his wife, and their eldest son all got COVID. The adults said it was like a bad flu, their son's was like a cold. They got over it, thank God.

I know things could be worse. But they're pretty bad already. Now excuse me while I freshen my drink. lol
(4)

NeedHelpWithMom: Thanks so much.
(1)

disgusted: Nothing pleasant about a colonoscopy. Goof for you with the box test and getting paid, too. I will be in the good care of my opthamologist so I don't know what anesthesia medication that his team uses. None of your kitties have learned to drive yet - LOL.
(1)

For the past few months I have been studying up on the 1918 pandemic.... and it is running parallel with the covid 19 virus. My gosh, didn't we learn ANYTHING in those 100 years?

February 1918 was the start, it ended in April 1920. And the covid-19, even through it started in December 2019, the U.S. didn't take real notice until February 2020. The scientist were saying it would run until the Spring of 2022.

Back during the 1918 pandemic, 25k people were dying each month. Sad to say, the covid-19 has that number beat. Lately the numbers are over 1k per day, thus 30k per month.

Society acted the same way. There were people who took the pandemic seriously and others who ignored it. Yep, back then there were folks who refused to wear masks [the masks were made of glaze]..... there were folks who refused to distance themselves..... and there were Mayors of big cities who had festive parades with people packed together lining the streets. Like I mentioned before, didn't we learn ANYTHING from that pandemic?

https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic and click on the photos.
(3)

Llamalover47
"(first was under anesthesia for colonoscopy)"
I've lost count how many times they've bugged me about getting this done... Between the "prep", anesthesia or sedative, which means needing to find a ride, and already having a tear in the upper digestive tract, no thanks! I finally agreed to the "box" test, I even ended up getting paid to do it! Insurance has had rewards for doing certain things, and the test company sent a letter saying I'd get a gift card from them too, if I sent it in by X date! Free test AND got paid!

I do understand sometimes the scope is necessary, just hoping I never have to do that.

I'm curious about the cataract surgery - did you choose general anesthesia or they said you had to? I want to avoid that, because I had that tear previously. In reading about it, I thought there was local anesthetic and possibly a sedative....

I'm holding off for now, partly because it isn't too bad yet, partly because I oversee mom's care and finances, partly because I'd need a ride and partly because of the virus... (ride would have to be someone who doesn't live with me - none of my cats have learned to drive yet! No Toonces here! Even if they could start it and steer, two would have to work together as I only have manual shift vehicles. The only time I've seen any work together is when one brings a mouse up from the basement...)
(2)

As gladimhere says:

"The way of the world. Those that feel it is a hoax and those that think it will never get them, as in the neighbors case.

The best we can do is to take all precautions for ourselves. You cannot depend on others. Stay safe all and do your part."

Currently, sadly, this IS the way of the world. It seems more true here than in other places (NOTE I said MORE, not exclusively!)

As we discuss our LO's various issues on this forum, we encourage others to understand we can only change ourselves, how we choose to deal with or react to situations. We can't change others. They have to want to change AND make the change(s). We can't force others to do what might be the right thing(s) to do.

So, the best we can do is try to protect ourselves (and in some small way protect others, even the deniers) as best we can. Today I read about a nurse in SD who reported some of those in more serious condition refused, right to the end before they passed away, that it wasn't real and refused to believe they were infected or were going to die. Very sad.

As for how it has impacted me or those I know, so far nothing medically. My son works remotely, my daughter is dispatch, so has to go in to work. Scary that on 11/7 a staff member of mom's MC was tested and they called Tuesday to tell us this person tested positive. MC residents are now on lockdown in their rooms (they were somewhat exempt due to their conditions, just spread out more at mealtimes and had staggered meals.) Exceptions are those who tend to walk about a lot during the day anyway, just working to keep them apart.

This is a first - we're not in or near the "epicenter" in our state, but figured it was just a matter of time. The number of cases are increasing here now too. They tested all the MC residents, and reported that mom was negative. That's the closest it's come for me. To date, my town has had 35 cases total, mom's (next town over) has had 34. But, the number of current cases are growing and are now at the highest daily level I've seen them.

As for the lockdown, it does stink, but even more for me. Other than no masks or virus, I've been in "lockdown" mode more or less for 2 years before the virus came along (financial issues.) Just when the situation resolved and I could move forward, along comes the virus. Plans to get the necessary fixes done on this house and visiting my kids and grandson are on hold still. I only shop about every 2 weeks, already used online delivery for cat and mom supplies. Some mom items I had to get in a store or pharmacy, but I would plan ahead and buy more than was needed to reduce outings. I was still dropping off mom's supplies, but can't visit, can't call her (no phone due to dementia and hearing issues), no window access, video visits wouldn't work with her. This stinks, as she likely doesn't have much time left. She's 97 and had a stroke early October. She is losing weight as eating has become difficult for her. She's now on hospice, so I won't need to go as often to pick up anything for her (they supply the briefs and wipes, I still get her meds.)

I do have to try to stay safe, for myself, my cats, my kids, but also for my mother. I manage all her care and finances. My bros are mostly useless and would probably screw everything up or squander it all!

It would be nice to know if I've already been exposed, but had no symptoms. I've never had the flu (or a flu shot), haven't been sick in decades and have never been "down and out" for more than a day. It isn't like I haven't been exposed. I raised 2 kids, and worked all those years, so plenty of interface with others, many who were sick all the time! I don't want to pay for the antibody tests, which aren't always accurate and also there's no proof yet, no one really knows if we will be immune if we've had it and survived or get the vaccines.

While I agree it would be nice to be able to get out and about again, what did people do back in the day, living isolated?
(1)

Wishing you all the best, Llama 💗
(1)

Imho, personally I will go under anesthesia AGAIN tomorrow and then 2 weeks from that for cataract surgery (first was under anesthesia for colonoscopy). Point is no real point at all other than had 02 and my mask over top of the 02.
The Novel Coronavirus never left.
(3)

"So Harpcat wanted something more than mild. Would that be 2 weeks of severe pain and discomfort, or maybe a ventilator, or perhaps just a lifelong disability?"

You ASSUMED Harpcat meant death in your original comment.
Now you're assuming all kinds of other scenarios.

STOP assuming.

If you have a problem with Harpcat saying (darn it), take it up offline with Harpcat. That goes for what anyone else says.

We are here to help and support one another, not dump on them. Perhaps someone will think I'm dumping on you - no, I'm just pointing out that you are making assumptions.
(2)

'disgustedtoo' ---- So Harpcat wanted something more than mild. Would that be 2 weeks of severe pain and discomfort, or maybe a ventilator, or perhaps just a lifelong disability? Anyway, to wish some one ill will just to serve a cause is just plain mean. I can understand and have empathy with those who have suffered or died from a disease or condition without having the disease or condition myself.
For me, if someone does contract the covid, I wish they have mild or no symptoms. Even if that person is Biden or Trump or Schummer or McConnell or Pelosi or fill in the blank. But that's just me and probably a vast majority of human beings.
(2)

"careinhome
7 hours ago
Harpcat, so you were wishing the gov of Oklahoma was going to die of Covid?"

"Harpcat said:

...he got Covid but of course it was mild (darn it) and he will not mandate masks and our numbers have us in red. He is an idiot. ok my rant."

Nowhere did Harpcat wish the governor to die. I understood what Harpcat was saying... Some people don't have any symptoms, some have very mild symptoms, some become very ill and some die from this virus. The problem we have is too many dismissing this virus as a hoax or a simple cold, to be brushed off. If one doesn't experience, either in themselves or someone close to them, the worst of this virus, they tend to dismiss it, which it seems this gov (and others) has done - had it, wasn't very ill and continues to refuse to take any decisive action, to try to mitigate the spread. Will everyone wearing a mask save us all? Probably not. Could it save lives? Probably. What IS the big deal in asking everyone to be responsible and respectful of others, in the hopes that wearing a little mask for as long as it takes to do our "business" somewhere might keep ourselves or others safe? It's no more of an imposition than wearing a seatbelt, or being required to wear shirts and shoes in a store (how have the deniers not taken this a step further, to wear shirts and shoes but no pants into stores??? EH?)
(4)

"careinhome
9 hours ago
You sound like a TV election commercial. Dial it back."

It would be of some help if you could identify WHO you are referring to...

Even so, the 1st Amendment guarantees the right of free speech - who are you to dictate what someone says here? Yes, there are restrictions to that free speech, but no one breached those restrictions. You're entitled to your opinion as well, but the comment really had nothing to do with the topic. You don't like what others have to say, you are free to ignore it or go to some other forum.
(5)

Joelmi118 - I am so sorry for your loss of your dear wife. I sat helplessly watching tv as that debacle played out with horror. Actually, I suppose I still am since nothing is much different except perhaps we have become numb. I kept thinking surely better options would emerge, or surely some heath care professionals would speak out to advocate. No, never happened. Still appalled that we are in the same spot and keep thinking I am going to wake up from this nightmare.
(3)

I missed that CWillie. That's good. I often don't wind down to read. Sometimes don't even return. Thanks. Long as she's good enough to comment we know she's up and running. NeedHelp, unless I misunderstood her, she told me they ALL tested positive. I will pm and ask her.
(0)

She commented about spirit animals over on the whine thread about 18 hours ago.
(1)

Alva,

I don’t know if she is tested positive. I hope not. She said that she felt awful and ordered tests for her household for $299 each.
(1)

Has anyone heard from Stacy since they all tested positive at her place?
(1)

Joel,

Sorry for your loss. So many deaths in facilities. It’s terribly sad.
(2)

Such a crazy and stressful year for everyone. My 93 year old mother lived with me and was doing great until she wasn't. She suffered a stroke and of course was in the hospital and then to a Skilled Nursing Facility. I think they almost killed her because she was losing weight and they didn't bother to tell us until she was down 11 lbs! She hated the food and when we finally could get her moved into an AL she was down 22 lbs.! She looked like a homeless person. We were so angry that they didn't take better care of her! We went through hell trying to get her into an AL as the COVID cases kept popping up in the city we lived. We finally found a nice one in a much smaller town near her friends/family/doctors. They had no cases and still don't. It's hard not to see her but now the residents can get a family visitor for 1 hour and a negative test must be given and of course masks must be worn. What a horrible way of life for most of these elders. Many think they have been abandoned...so sad! I'm glad my mom is thriving and said she now feels great and is keeping busy and making friends. I pray we can get this without contracting this hideous and illusive disease. It kills some and others don't even know they have it. I pray everyone finds strength during this. I'm still working F/T but am lucky to have a job. I'm so tired of feeling afraid of this virus and like everyone...just want it to end. I miss seeing people, hugging, and being able to talk without a mask on, etc. I miss seeing people's smiles!
(2)

I've been reading anecdotal reports that some hospitals are now reaching critical numbers and are turning away ALL people not just those who have covid. This was what we worked so hard to avoid in March, and now it seems to be... meh?
(6)

My wife died from Covid in May 0f 2020 from the unhuman actions of Andrew Cuomo governor of NY when he sent the positive patients of NY hospitals to her assisted living facilities infecting over 33,000 poor dementia seniors puting them to their terrible deaths. You can see what he did on U2, it is their for every american to see how he managed the pandemic in march to June of 2020. He gave himself immunity from prosecution. I would not put anyone in a assisted living unless their is a vaccine a viable. I would not trust Cuomo on what he says and does.
(9)

Certainly this has been a horrific time for the world. In the early weeks of December 2019 my sister was hospitalized with "pneumonia". This was way before Covid was discovered. Sister(my only support for our elderly parents). She ended up on a ventilator for many weeks and then to rehab. No one expected her to survive! She is left with diagnosis's of COPD and Cardiac disease. She has to carry an inhaler at all times. She had to rebuild strength, learn to walk, has memory loss and cognitive decline! Sister is 60. During her illness my father was rapidly failing due to CHF and in and out hospitals and rehab. He finally passed June 2020. Husband and I self isolate due to caring for mom(84) and his aunt(91).
Trying days but purging house some, reading more and gardening. I have rooted every vegetable we have cooked with. More cooking too. Trying to stay busy. Prayer life improved. Have listened to more music and TED talks, webinars. Some depressing days for sure but fighting it. Using masks always, hand washing and social distancing.
Both our elders are in their own homes with private caregivers who sit for no others.
(4)

2 3 4 5 6
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter