Follow

Really, there is no ryhmn or reason to this virus. Since this whole thing started my daughter has followed all the guidelines. She was layed off from her job March 2020. She only went out when she need to. Eventually, she worked from home. Wore a mask when she was out, still going out only when she needed to. Returned to work January with her work going by guidelines and wearing masks. She works in a small area with one other person only interacting with others occasionally. Worked offered the shots, she got them. Now up to the last two weeks.

On 11/20 my daughter came down with a head cold. By Monday she had lost her smell. Had a Rapid test done, COVID. Work required a PCR, positive. She has no idea where she got it. She wears a mask when she leaves her apt. She still goes nowhere unless needs to. The one person she was within 6 ft of was the Vet who had to put her cat down. She was petting her cat while he was trying to place the needle. He claims he has had no symptoms. The other person was my 8 yr old grandson, who has had it and showed no symptoms. So could he have it again? Yes, she was out of work all last week.

Now my other daughter...she has not followed guidelines from the beginning. She still went places, saw friends. Had them in her house, she in theirs. Just had 15 for TG. Never quarantined when her son, the 8 yr old, tested positive because he stayed with his Dad who had it. The only time she wears a mask is at work where she sees people all day. She has her shots. But has never contracted the virus.

Me, neither I nor DH have shown signs. When exposed to grandson, we had PCR tests, which were negative, because we were signed up for our first shot. My DH tends to wear a mask more than I do. With this variant, it will be always now.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
lealonnie1, I'm just saying that if you are in the higher risk group for age PLUS you have underlying health issues, I think getting the vaccine and having irreparable side effects from is less of a risk than actually getting covid. Because there are so many unknowns and all the data isn't yet collected and analyzed, the decision is a risk-assessment issue. And from all the people around me who have had the vaccine, the virus, etc. I'm trying to come to my own informed conclusion as we all move forward through it.
(1)

Our middle child (daughter) went to Israel for work. She had 2 vaccines and the booster. She tested negative before and after arrival. Back home her husband,3 year old,1 year old tested positive for Covid. He was also fully vaccinated. She then was tested and the result was positive. She was put in a 1 bedroom apartment and not able to leave it at all. Food and reading material was brought to her. They would not allow her outside even with a mask. She had to stay there for 10 days. Finally she was allowed to leave without taking another test. She was questioned for hours at the airport and then security accompanied her to the gate. She didn't have any symptoms.
(1)

So, my 64 yo vaxxed sister in law died from Covid last Friday; she was put on a ventilator and died 16 minutes after being extubated. Her lungs were decimated by Covid. She had diabetes (uncontrolled) and other health conditions to the degree the doctor said the vaccines were useless for her. Her immune system was too shot to even recognize the vaccines and work to protect her. We think she contracted the virus from her 80 yo boyfriend who had no symptoms, believe it or not

My 71 yo vaxxed cousin who wore a mask alone in her car contracted the virus. She thinks from church bc that's the only place she went, masked, but who knows. She got the monoclonal antibody treatment and the virus never became a big issue for her. She's fine. Her 74 yo husband took care of her the entire time and slept next to her in bed and NEVER TESTED POSITIVE OR GOT SICK! Yes, he was vaxxed too.

Just some stories from my end. Personally, I think we're all going to get Covid or be exposed to it and not get it, one or the other. I was tested yesterday after having a high fever and bad chills on Fri nite but no symptoms since. Yes I'm vaxxed. Geaton, both vaxxed and non vaxxed people are getting Covid AND dying from it. There's no rhyme or reason as to who will get seriously sick, either. My non vaxxed hairdresser is 400 lbs with lots of health issues, a smoker and has bad asthma. Got Covid ans only lost her sense of smell and taste, nothing else.

Joann I hope your daughter is ok and stays on the road to recovery.
(2)

sp1969, I'm looping back to say that the sister of my friend who died of covid last week and was in a high risk group (70s', diabetes, obese) confirmed that he was not vaccinated. Neither is his wife, a recent cancer survivor. Unknown what variant he had. I have other friends who are also above 65 and diabetic (but controlled) who had the original covid and survived. My point is not to shame anyone's decision to vaccinate or not, but to emphasize that when you are making the decision to remember that you cannot know if you'll be the one to survive covid or not, or have a long-term or lasting problem from it.

cwillie "Scientists are trying to find out why some people don't get COVID-19", my husband, my son and his girlfriend seem to be in this group. They were exposed multiple times to family members (like their own kids!) who were confirmed cases and they have never had it (so far). My husband is taking nothing preventatively, not even a multi-vitamin. Other than his age (64) he has no other health issues. He's in a filthy hockey locker room 3x a week every week, where guys on his team have had breakthrough covid. My son is a smoker. Yet, they have all managed to dodge it.
(1)

Mutations are totally normal and expected. Science has proven that viruses mutate, it's what they do. The more we try to stop them, the faster they mutate.

Science has also proven that mutations are more contagious and less fatal.

To bad MSM doesn't share these facts and instead keeps up with the fear mongering.
(4)

Let's see what Omicron will do
(0)

Scientists are trying to find out why some people don't get COVID-19 (CBC Quirks & Quarks)

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/nov-20-finding-the-covid-resistors-herzberg-gold-medal-winner-green-glitter-and-more-1.6254083/scientists-are-trying-to-find-out-why-some-people-don-t-get-covid-19-1.6254091
(0)

Is this, thank you for asking. She went back to work on Monday. They went back to time of exposure. She still can't smell but cab taste. Was no worse than a head cold.
(5)

The unpredictability of covid is the scariest thing about it for me. I have seen it take healthy people in their 40s and 50s while folks in the 60s, 70s, and 80s with health problems have lived through a serious infection. My vax-resistant 42-year-old nephew finally got vaccinated after his boys begged him following the death of a friends' 48-year-old father and their 45-year-old school counselor within the same week. At least with the vax, if you do get sick you have an excellent chance of having a mild case and living. We survived the summer spike and are now back at 40-50% of available hospital capacity being used; just hope we make it through the winter without over-extending our resources.
(3)

A 42 year old healthy man, an antivaxer, died today. Had been in the hospital awhile, sent home on Saturday, went back to hospital last night. He developed numerous blood clots and is now gone.
(2)

JoAnn, how is your daughter doing?

I hope she is better and has no long term issues.
(3)

JoAnn, regarding your daughter who goes about her life with no mask, no distancing even from her COVID positive son, and still didn't get sick from the virus, I would venture to say that it's because she has a strong NATURAL IMMUNITY. I think that explains why children and young healthy adults who get exposed, contract the virus and still don't have symptoms or don't get very sick.

In Florida where people also don't have mask requirement or vaccine mandate, many got COVID or got exposed to the virus, and built up their natural immunity, Now, the latest news is that Florida has one of the lowest COVID rates in the country.

And no, we will not bicker, or start name calling. Will we? We will stay civil.
(5)

First this is the Discussion part of the forum. I really didn't post to start any bickering. Or getting shots or not getting shots. It was just an observation I had with my two girls. Someone mentioned health. My oldest drinks beer, smokes alot and is overweight more than a little. Oh and her diet is horrible. My youngest is a Vegan, average weight, doesn't smoke or drink anything but water.
(1)

COVID has had little effect on my life. I know a couple of people who have had very mild cases. Where I live in KY and where I visit in NC are both areas that have had extremely low infection rates. Also in both areas there has been a high rate of noncompliance with masks and much resistance to vaccines. My husband, stepson and I have been vaccinated because we travel so much.
(1)

Geaton, zinc should not be put up our noses. Just saying. And it should be taken in small doses only. I never mention doses because I believe that people are smart enough to do their own research. I believe zicam can be used in excess and anything in excess is a hazard.

Studies have shown that individuals that lose their smell and taste with covid are zinc deficient. Health 365 has the information if you're interested. They compile research from all over the world to give people information about health.

As far as your friend, mismanagement of diabetes will cause kidney failure. I have a friend with a 23 year old on the donor list for a kidney because of this. Sad business that people won't take care of this devastating disease.

Whatever happened to an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?
(2)

Geaton you have no idea if the person who died was jabbed or not. If you really want to know you should ask instead of assuming. As for the rest I think hand washing is much more effective than wearing a mask and constantly touching it umpteenth times a day. Ask needhelpwithmom about her daughter and how she got covid even though she was jabbed as well as many of her coworkers. I am disgusted that hospitals are denying transplants if both donor and recipient are not jabbed. A decade from now these jabbs will be considered a stain on humanity when more and more people suffer ADE's from all these boosters. Some countries are considering a booster every 3 months. It is borderline insanity.
(2)

I have to say that a healthy immune system goes a long way in keeping us healthy.

My dad had horrendous hand hygiene, couldn't breathe with a mask on and went out to do shopping or appointments on a daily basis. So I refused to see him during the worst of the outbreak.

I sent him the supplements that I know boost our systems and he willingly took them. He remained healthy and active.

Then he had a heart attack, went to the hospital, had triple bypass, was in hospital for one month. No ICU beds available kept him far longer then he should have been there. The day before he was to be released a OT took him to his house to ensure he could navigate it. That night they tested him for Covid, no symptoms, he was positive and they gave him treatment. He left the hospital in a box. He was obviously infected in the hospital by a staff member. So who knows how we are exposed.

I think that not getting immune boosting supplements, having surgery and being bed bound lowered his systems ability to mend or fight off the virus. I also believe it was his time to go and if it wasn't covid it would have been something else. He didn't suffer and for that I am grateful.

I think that people that are stressed about getting it are not doing themselves any favors, stress destroys your immune system.

I am also freaked out that the media is saying wear masks but, not reinforcing hand washing, which has proven to stop the spread of many illnesses.

So wash hands frequently,
Don't touch your face,
And eat your citrus fruits!
(1)

I had a friend pass away this week from covid. He was early 70's, overweight, and diabetic (and by his weight I'd guess it was not well controlled). From when he first went into the doc (or ER, not sure which) to when he passed was about 1-1/2 weeks. I'm guessing he went a while with symptoms and feeling ill until it concerned him enough to get medical help. His petite wife, a cancer survivor (less than 5 years) also got covid and was hospitalized, but she is recovering. Their adult daughter who lives with them also got covid, and is dealing with it at home, just like a "normal" flu.

I don't know if my friend and/or his wife were vaccinated -- but if I had to guess I'd say no. This thought is upsetting to me, since they both were in higher risk groups. At the end my friend's kidneys were shutting down. Even if he survived, he might have required dialysis. Would anything the vaccine can do to you be worse than that, or death? This is the question people *at risk* must ask themselves.

I do understand most rationale for not wanting the vaccine, and I believe in medical freedom when it comes to our bodies. But if you are reading this and you are in a higher risk group and you do not get the vaccine... please -- my friend's death was unnecessary. Please get vaccinated. It's just not worth the other risks if you get covid.

And to address mutations and variants (again)... they are always more contagious but less deadly. The fear mongering in the media about the Omicron version is unconscionable.

Regarding taking zinc when you haven't actually been diagnosed with a deficiency by a doctor: https://www.consumerreports.org/dietary-supplements/should-you-take-zinc-for-a-cold-or-covid-19-a5050318516

Back in 2009 Zicam brand zinc nasal spray was connected to loss of smell in users. Not sure what the current facts are on that. FYI I have friend who was one of those people using Zicam who lost his sense of smell, but it can't be proven that it wasn't from the sinus infection itself. Once again, caveat emptor.
(1)

Joann, tell your daughter to take zinc. Loss of taste and smell is a symptom of zinc deficiency.
(1)

Omicron is a worry to many
(0)

I think we cannot know anymore if we had it or did not. Many of us go without symptoms. As ALL of the shots protect only against the Covid-19 PNEUMONIA, we can still get and harbor the virus whether we are ill or not. The delta is VERY contagious. We know nothing yet about the new Omni, other than that so far those who have it seem to have milder symptoms than with other variants. They are correct in that this is likely, like flu and cold viruses, going to be a virus we will be living with. Or dying with. Dependent on not much. I feel dreadful for the long-haulers, as they are having a whole variety of problems.
They say that the future will show more varieties of animal-borne virus problem. The new vaccine, given how it is made can be easily adapted. However, one does wonder just how many vaccines we want to get. I think it is all new science and only time will tell us a lot about it all. I had two moderna shots with only the symptoms they foretold, fever, chills for a day. However, when I got the LOWER dose booster my entire upper arm went very red and very hot and very ITCHY, which to me means I am beginning to show some sign of allergy to the shot itself. So how many MORE shots I will want to take into my system on a yearly basis is up for question by me.
At this point I guess we are where we were. Not a lot of answers. Thankful for the wonderful MRNA science and doing, each of us, what we believe to be right for us. Much in life is a gamble. As my oncologist said "It's anything but an EXACT science".
And on we go. Wishing good luck and best health to all.
(1)

Seriously JoAnn?
Why would you bring up this topic when any mention of the pandemic ALWAYS brings divisive comments and bickering?
(5)

Covid and all the variants are here to stay.

Trying to find 'ground zero' when someone comes down with covid is pretty impossible. It's airborne--your daughter could have simply walked through a 'sneeze cloud' and picked it up.

I'm triple vaxxed and although do follow masking 'rules', it feels fruitless. I heard on TV the other day some commentator saying that it is a 'political' effort to keep us all 'stupid and scared'. IDK, I'm just not letting it take up space in my head.

It's a virus that is going to mutate just like the flu. Being so scared of it--well, I spent the last year inside and it was awful. DH worked from home and that was beyond awful--but at least I KNOW when we move next year he is going to have a lovely home office IN THE BASEMENT!!

And DH and I have been tested 5 times for him and 2 times for me. This after being 'super exposed' prior to vaccination.

My entire family has HAD covid, except for the 'baby'. Who has been exposed umpteen times. Always negative. This kid licks shopping cart handles and touches EVERYTHING. (We call him the raccoon). He has had a cold in the past 6 months, but just a cold.

We carry masks and if people give us the stink eye, we wear them. Eventually this will be the 'norm'--like having flu, I guess.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter