Follow

Monday, March 11, 2024

Countering Risk for Early Onset Dementia

Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Mike Roizen, MDs

The average age for onset of dementia in the U.S. is 84.

Unfortunately, there are about 200,000 adults in their 40s, 50s, and early 60s who have early-onset dementia, which interrupts their work and family life in profound ways.

For the first time, researchers have identified a cluster of risk factors associated with developing dementia at a younger age. Using data on around 360,000 people, they discovered that people who experience low blood pressure when they stand up after sitting or lying down (called orthostatic or postural hypotension) have the highest risk.

Other measurable risk factors include depression, alcohol use disorder, stroke, diabetes, heart disease, vitamin D deficiency, impaired hearing, social isolation, and elevated inflammatory CRP levels.

Carrying two APOE4 alleles — a genetic predisposition — is also a risk.

The good news is that even if you have a genetic predisposition, there are 40 lifestyle choices identified in Dr. Mike's book, "The Great Age Reboot " that can counter your risks. Some are:

-Engage with friends and express your gratitude and generosity daily.

-Wear hearing aids, if needed.

-Smell four different smells intentionally each day.

-Have extra-virgin olive oil and black coffee daily.

-Boost vitamin D levels by enjoying salmon and/or and taking a supplement of 1,000 IU daily. Then get a blood test to see if you need more.

- Ditch red and processed meats, added sugars, and highly processed foods.

-Engage in the four components of physical activity — endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility — weekly.

-Do speed-of-processing games and never stop learning.

Dr. Mehmet Oz was the host of the popular TV show “The Dr. Oz Show.” He is a professor in the Department of Surgery at Columbia University and directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program and New York-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Mike Roizen is chief medical officer at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute, an award-winning author, and has been the doctor to eight Nobel Prize winners and more than 100 Fortune 500 CEOs.

Find Care & Housing
keep in mind, chronic stress has also been mentioned as a risk factor for dementia. So, we can do the dietary stuff, but if us caregivers are chronically stressed by caregiving, that in of itself may be raising our dementia risk, and then the cycle will continue for the next generation, etc
(1)

Thx Lea. I've got Dr. Mike's book and am part way through it. I find one chapter at a time is enough food for thought. Must get back to it.

It's too late for me to counter early onset dementia but I think those suggestions would be good for anyone at any age. I'm not about to ditch red meat entirely but I do make sure to more frequently choose fish or chicken.

The intentionally smelling 4 different smells a day is interesting.

A lot of it is "use it or lose it" - brain, body, senses...
(1)

Excellent points. This is likely a fear common to us all. Thanks for sharing
(0)

Thank you for all that info, I'm trying to find any info I can.

I especially liked practicing gratitude,
Never considered that something that needs to be practiced, but it really is.

I would add alcohol and smoking to the list of things not to do to keep a healthy brain also
(1)

I love Dr Roizen. His advice to heart patients in one of his books was Don’t eat anything that has a face or a mother.. and walk 30 min a day come rain or shine.

These are all good suggestions. Thanks Lea
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter