Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I have had to cut wood the past 3 days in preparation for the cold and snow that is predicted this weekend. It has been exhausting. DH has been busy working on cars trying to get them repaired before the cold. (He also is a mechanic aside from farmer and construction work we do), So I told him I would take care of it.
Anyway today I went and I really was praying for strength and energy to do what I needed to do. So I drove up in the woods and I saw this huge tree that was fallen but caught up in another tree. I thought if I could get that( I like getting wood that does not have to be split), then that would be all I need to get and last for a while. But I did not have a chain on me to pull it down. So I continued on cutting what I could get to. But that tree just kept asking me to take it home.:) So I loaded up what I had and decided to come get a chain. I came back to the house and DH asked what was the matter, I said I came back for a chain and explained the tree. I went back hooked the chain up to the tree and to the front of my vehicle and prayed that it would come down nice and gently. I put it in 4WD and backed up slowly and the tree gently came to the ground, I pulled it further out into a more open space so I could cut it. I got most of it cut up and then my chain came off the saw. I did not take tools, and I was determined not to have to go back a third time. I loaded up what I had cut. Adjusted the chain on the tree and to the back of vehicle and pulled it home.
Now it is not unusual for me to pull a tree home for wood. I used to bring trees home for my Dad to cut in his last 2 years when he couldn't get around.
And I hadn't pulled one home since he passed.
When I got home, Mom saw the tree and she said "Your Dad would be proud of you." Wow that hit a tender spot. I just said yeah he would have liked that one.
I miss my Dad so much and sometimes it is hard to talk about him without getting sad. Especially with Mom.
I am just grateful to the Lord for the time I had with him, especially his last 2 years were the greatest ever. Even though he was declining. But the moments we shared will always be in my heart. I will see him again one day. And I really try and have special moments with Mom, for her to have goodness and for me to have wonderful memories burned in my heart.
God is wonderful in that he has answered several prayers that have been going on around here. Oh what love HE has for HIS children.
Thank You Lord!!
(8)

I thank the Lord this day that my nephew called my Mom to check on her. It was so joyous for her. And I love him for that. He is her only grandchild that has actually spoken with her, and showed concern. She was so happy. He is planning to visit her , YAY!!!
Thank you Lord.
I always receive joy when someone shows my Mom love, It always seems like a slight lightening of the load when that happens.

For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

Proverbs 8:11
(6)

Blessed Be my SIL who has the warmest heart, the strongest shoulders, the most listening ears, openest arms and helpingest hands...because she truly cares. Blessed Be my SB for finding and marrying her!
(3)

You say: It's impossible
God says: All things are possible (Lk.18:27)
You say: I'm too tired
God says: I will give you rest (Mt. 11:28-30)
You say: Nobody loves me
God says: I love you (Jn 3:16)
You say: I can't go on
God says: My grace is sufficient (2 Cor. 12:9)
You say: I can't figure things out
God says: I will direct your steps (Prov.3:5-6)
You say: I can't do it
God says: You can do all things (Phil.4:13)
You say: I'm not able
God says: I am able (2 Cor. 9:8)
You say: It's not worth it
God says: It will be worth it (Rom. 8:28)
You say: I can't forgive myself
God says: I forgive you (1 John 1:9)
You say: I can't manage
God says: I will supply all your needs (Phil. 4:19)
You say: I'm afraid
God says: I have not given you a spirit of fear (2 Tim 1:7)
You say: I'm always worried and frustrated
God says: Cast all your care on me (1 Pet. 5:7)
You say: I'm not smart enough
God says: I give you wisdom (1 Cor. 1:30)
You say: I feel all alone
God says: I will never leave you or forsake you (Heb. 13:5)
(3)

“I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.” 
Psalms 34:4
(2)

And that is love Smeshque! Paying attention to each other needs and wants, and doing one’s best to make them a reality. Enjoy!!
(4)

I am so grateful for many things this day. The Lord is kind and merciful.
I am grateful for my DH thoughtfulness. You see I have this bike I ride daily, mostly as a stress reliever, but also I enjoy cycling especially mountain biking. But when it is cold and wet and you cannot get outside much with Mom, I ride my stationary bike. Usually when she goes to bed I ride for a couple hours, like now. Well, anyway, for years I have thought how I wished I could have a desk on my stationary bike. Oh how I dreamed. Because I don't like to sit much. As a matter of fact, I even crochet while riding my bike. :) Anyway, today he built me a desk on my stationary bike. It is perfect just the right size and now I can do computer work as I ride. I love it. It's the simple things in life, I appreciate.
But it is pretty and functional I am using it now.
But anyway, I am grateful for his thoughtfulness. I love it.
(5)

Sue, that is great! Truly hope this is a wonderful change of life for you in your retirement. Living by the beach is a dream of so many, glad you’re able to make it true.

I have driven with dogs and it is fine as long as you obviously stop every few hours. Now, my dogs LOVE car rides, they fall sleep in the back of the car and you don’t even know they are there until they wake up. Yet the max I have driven is 6 to 8 hours, from VA to NY. Don’t own cats, so have no idea how that would go. Either way, make a fun trip out of the experience, and ENJOY this new stage of life!
(3)

We are (finally) leaving Tijuana and heading for warmer pastures. What a blessing that is!!! Oh thank you Dear Lord.
I've been freezing for the last month (Mexican houses don't have heaters.) It's barely 57 F in the house. Yes, we'll have humidity in the tropics but at least your bones don't ache in the heat like they do in the cold. I look forward to being able to get out to the beach and not be huddled under a down comforter.
There are many obstacles to overcome when one moves from the "frontera" (border) to the interior of Mexico. All sorts of permits, rules and lists must be made and that part is driving us nuts 😜. But we've already found a memory care for Mom (who will be 96 in 9 days) that has been recommended by friends and the American consulate. Hubs goes on Tuesday to reserve her spot and to check out houses.

We found out yesterday that we can send our dogs (as many as you have) on the plane but you can only take 1 cat (only 1 passenger taking 1 cat). This makes no sense but, Aaahhhh, this is Mexico.
So we will drive our 4 dogs and 3 cats to our new home 1000 miles away. We've done the "road trip" journey twice before but never with critters. Should be interesting.
(6)

Right on!!! I'm really glad you said this. Often in these forums, all we hear are the negative things that are happening in people's live or in their care giving responsibilities. Recognizing the blessings is so important. The blessings are there even in the difficult times. Also, taking time, to have a few small little gems everyday (things that are positive and even fun) are equally important. God Bless you & everyone else.
(2)

“Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.” 
Matthew 5:9
(2)

Thank you Smeshque, it was a blessed day indeed. I would dare to say it was better than last year. She felt loved, well by me I would hope she always felt loved, but also by family overseas who called her and sent her messages. Everything and anything that gives my mom joy, gives me joy, as her wellbeing is one of my most important goals.
Thanks so much for sharing the joy with me!
(4)

Rosses- That is so wonderful. I am so glad the two of you shared that this day. And Happy Birthday to your Mom!
God is great and it is truly a blessing when he gives us days like you had today.
I am so overjoyed for you! :)
(2)

I feel so blessed!
My mom’s birthday was today, and she accepted my invitation to go out for a late lunch. She wore an outfit I had purchased for her a long time ago, she looked very nice and in good spirits. We took pictures and had a nice meal.

I know fellow caregivers can understand very well the blessing of having your loved one feeling good. I had that blessing today! And aside from being happy for her, it makes me feel that all my efforts being here caring for my mom, even if very imperfectly, actually may have made a tiny positive difference in her life. Priceless really!
To me that is God’s way to remind me He is always present and that it is worth it, all this path entails is worth it.

May He bless you all!
(4)

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
Colossians 3:12-13
(3)

Lots of blessings today: the house got a good cleaning after holidays and various activities interrupted our regular schedules, and Dad got to his dermatologist appointment without being rained on. Good food and a peaceful night. Thanks, Lord!
(5)

Dear Frazzled,

I just read what you posted about your daughter and that is incredibly wonderful and I am sure it helped to make your Christmas much more special. Maybe this is an opportunity to continue opening that little door? Without being pushy but also not having to wait until next Christmas to talk. Hope you’re able to do that and that she continues being in a good frame of mind! That was a wonderful gift from heaven!! Marry belated Christmas!
(2)

My mom has told me that my grandfather, who I didn’t get to meet as all my grandparents on both sides passed away before I was born, used to say to his children: You are complaining because you don’t have a new pair of shoes? Well, go out and look around. Pay attention, you’ll see how lucky you are when you see people that don’t have anything, and even some that don’t even have feet!

Well, today a relative of ours came to visit. She is a kind person and we normally see her once a year before or after Christmas, so we hadn’t seen her in about that long. The woman could barely walk, every step took her at least 2 minutes, seriously. She wasn’t this bad a year ago. Yet, she took the time and all the effort to come and bring my mom a post Christmas gift.

On one count, I’m thankful for my mom being able to walk and move around MUCH better than her; although my mom is at least ten years older than her my mom is absolutely much more mobile. And on another count I’m thankful for this lady’s spirit, full of strength and joy despite all her limitations. And I’m thankful, once again, for being able to be here caring for my mother and still and despite all, keeping my ability to smile and also find joy in the most simple things in life. Some days it is easier or harder than others but I am still able to.

Those are the blessings I am counting today, a lot actually :)
(4)

Moms blood pressure has been really good for the last month. I have gotten her to exercise daily and eating better. She has even given up the strawberry milk for almond milk. And she likes it better. YAY!!
and DH's back is hurting less today. Thank you Lord!

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:2
(2)

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
(2)

Happy New Year, my friends!

Wishing everyone all the best for 2019!
(7)

Lots of blessings today, the last day of 2018. Lord, please see us through 2019.
(8)

A new year and another chance to do better.

Joshua 24:15
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
(3)

But we will bless the LORD from this time forth and for evermore. Praise the LORD.

Psalms 115:18
(1)

Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
Psalms 37:5
(4)

Yay, Frazzled! How wonderful. So glad to hear this.

Thank you, Lord, for all the gifts you are giving us, all the time.
(4)

May you all have a blessed Christmas fellow caregivers and friends!

I pray that the brightness and warmth of the light that Jesus brought into this world through His birth many years ago in a very humble manger in Bethlehem enlighten our hearts and minds and fill us with renewed strength to put into practice what He once asked us to do:

“Love one another as I have loved you”

A hug to each one of you!
(5)

Dear Frazzled,
That is so wonderful. We can hope and pray a beginning of something good. I imagine it brought you joy to know she was ok. What a blessing for you and for her to speak to you. I am so happy for you.
Hallelujah!
(3)

I heard from my estranged daughter tonight. I have a 20 year old daughter that has been kind of doing her own thing and hasn't been on speaking terms with us for the past year and a half or so. It's a long story, and we've all been through a lot, but I bought her a couple of Christmas gifts from us just to say Mom and Dad love her and wish her a Merry Christmas, and I mailed them to her. I got her a necklace that said "May the Lord bless and keep you my precious daughter" and a devotional book of encouragement for young women. She used to enjoy reading those before, don't know about now, but I thought she would like it.

She called to say thank you and we talked for awhile, mainly just chit chat but was nice to hear her voice. Even though she has her own path to walk and we don't always agree, she will always be my daughter. She has struggled with mental illness since she was 16, and it's been hard. But she sounded like she was in a good frame of mind and I was glad to hear that in her voice.

I'm thankful for how our Heavenly Father watches over each one of us, and for the assurance that He hears my prayers. Also want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I'm so thankful for my AC family as well!

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16
(7)

As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?
It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
Psalms 18:30-32
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter