Follow

Scammers are already planning how to intercept and/or steal stimulus checks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/beware-scammers-trying-to-intercept-your-stimulus-check/ar-BB11YqEk?ocid=msedgdhp

Apparently they're using the old telephone call scam, to get information on someone's checking account number, then apparently asking the recipient to verify/confirm a checking number (so they can empty out the account) or to click on a fake website created by the scammers.

This is an article worth reading, and thinking about what precautions to take.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Pat, I just read that the position of IRS has changed.  There seemed to be an inference that those who do not have to, and have not filed tax returns for 2018 or 2019 b/c of lower income, would have to file returns in order to get a stimulus check.

Apparently that's changed, at least for now.   Just read this this morning:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/social-security-recipients-who-don-t-usually-file-tax-returns-will-automatically-get-1-200-payments-treasury-says-in-reversal/ar-BB121Kx7?ocid=msedgdhp

I'm going to file anyway as I never give an account no. for a direct deposit, certainly not to any branch of the federal government as it exists now.  
(1)

Please remember that the IRS will never call or email you. What you do receive is a scam! Ignore and Delete all such suspicious messages received. Your bank account may be set up for alert messages. The stimulus funds will be deposited into the account you used when you filed or will file your 1040 federal tax. It is very important to file with IRS as soon as possible. When in doubt, please contact IRS or your bank directly to confirm.
(2)

FF, I don't know what happened but glad you were able to access the link.    I've noticed some disruptions on the Internet over the last few days, probably the ever present hackers trying to exploit vulnerabilities again.

I wonder if there's just so much anxiety and fear throughout all levels of the population (except the nay-sayers) that we're not always able to think clearly, and that could affect the tax preparers as well, especially if they're going to offices to work and not staying home.     I'm realizing I've forgotten common things I really should know.   Stress and fear can do that.  

Stay safe.
(1)

GardenArtist, thanks for posting the link. At first I couldn't get the page to open, but I found cutting off the /ar-BB11 etc. made it work :) Good article. I am surprised that tax preparers could fall for this scam, too.
(0)

Just warned my bro of this and told him to make it the dinner conversation in his cottage tonight.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter