Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I currently live with my ex mom and dad in law. These ppl have been in my life for 32 years . One day I was driving to a nearby town and she called me and ask me for help, she just couldn't do it anymore. So after a long talk with my hubby I uprooted myself and moved in with them. It's only been a few months. I have never in my life talked about Poo soo much! This morning ( not the first time). I woke up and she said she was scared because she hasn't taken a poo in 4 days. She has dementia. She also informed me that she took 3 stool softeners in a 6 hour time spance.! I told her that you have to give them time! But she watches so much TV that it has convinced her that she is going to die unless she poops. I'm sure you are well aware that this is only one topic that I am talking about. Ahhh. .so much more but you said to keep on the subject. I also give her probiotics daily.
(1)

Jamie yes they like us to keep on topic so if you want a good rant post it on the "caregivers and disfuntional families"
(0)

All old people are constipated, either from meds, lack of activity, lack of fiber and lack of water. Plus, my mom would tell me she had not had a bowel movement (dementia) when I knew that she had. I do not allow mom to take her own meds. I put them in a small cup for her to take. I don't wait for her to get constipated (we would have to call a plumber because she will stop up the toilet when she finally goes). Every day, I give my mom a stool softener and half a dose of Miralax. Most of the time, this keeps her regular so we don't have "poop" episodes where we have poop everywhere. Plus, if they truly are constipated, obviously they won't die from it, but constipation is uncomfortable for all of us.
(0)

I thought we had it under control but her sleep is so out of whack that I know she loses days and times. We have a schedule of her medications and yes it was my fault that I didn't think to put the stool softeners in a cabinet far far away. Which is now so. Thank you for your help and advice on this
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter