Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
He actually is coming home for a visit this Monday. He says he is very excited to come see me, etc. The thing is, I am not excited anymore. I used to feel thrilled when I would see him, but now, not so much. The spark is definitely not there. He thinks everything is A-okay, because I talk on the phone like everything is normal. I am just in a rut, and haven't a clue how I am going to do what I really need to do, which is to end the relationship. I am not getting any of my needs met whatsoever. I love him, but am not "in love" with him any more. I keep thinking about him not being there for me at my mom's funeral service. It was one of the most painful things I have ever had to deal with, and I did it alone. He said that it would make me stronger in the long run, but all it did was make me bitter. The hardest thing about this is, I can't even imagine myself without this man. I worry about who is going to take care of him. I worry about hurting him. I worry about his health. I worry about him completely. All of that is what I can't put my mind around when I think of ending it. I don't know how people divorce after so many years. How does that happen? What is going to make this even more complicated is the fact that my "spouse's" first cousin, who he is extremely close to is married to my sister.
(1)

I understand your point. He has been gone long enough to weigh the pros and cons of taking him back. He walked out on you once will he do it again. From what I am reading, he has a free secretary. Really, do u want to live like this the rest of your life. If u don't have a job, start looking. Like him, tell him your Dad is number 1. Look into what somebody posted, being common law ur divorced at two years. If you have a joint bank acct. you r entitled to half. See a lawyer. At this point he Is "comfortable". You have to have the courage to walk away.
(1)

And...did he worry about you! Why worry about him. If this man truly loved you he wouldn't have treated u like this. You owe him nothing. And in two years how do u know he hasn't cheated. Get out why you have some self respect. Better than be alone than with a bastard.
(0)

laurie -you are facing some very difficult times and decisions and your emotions seem to be all over the place, Decisions are best made when you are calmer and have considered everything thoughtfully. Perhaps this time together will help you move in one direction or the other.

I hope, as well as being concerned about him, you are concerned about you and what is best for you. You need an income - from him or from working at a job yourself. You need some plan for your future - with him and without him. I hope your therapist is helping you work these things out as well as reconciling with the fact that you did not get his support when your mother died. Is that a deal breaker?

I truly hope that soon you make a decision one way or the other, and then work out the details of that decision. Right now you seem to be caught in between. It is a painful place to be. (((((((hugs)))))
(1)

Laurieann, I know how you feel. It's really hard. Listen to your gut and keep trying to envision what you want for yourself. You have been through a lot. He should have been there for you and the way you feel makes a lot of sense. Even if you decide to stay together, just make sure you are looking out for yourself and that you are getting what you want out of it. Good luck this weekend!
(0)

I just reread what you wrote earlier today. Is he older than you? My husband is about 10 years older and that "it will make you stronger" BS was ringing the 'older man' bell. That is not nice. You do deserve better, Laurieann.

Do you know what kind of change is better for you? Some people do better with a dramatic and quick change, others are better off taking little steps. (I like to imagine the big, dramatic fresh start, but in reality, that is just not how I'm able to handle things.) Good luck and let us know how things go.
(0)

Lindylu, as a matter of fact, he is older, by 10 years! My emotions are all over the place today. One minute, I don't even want to talk to him on the phone, and the next, I'm so lonely, I cannot stand it. He is planning a trip down to come visit for a few days this week, and I'm not looking forward to it one bit. It's amazing how much my feelings have changed. I am working with a therapist, but we've only had a few sessions thus so far. She is really great, and I'm sure she'll guide me a lot more. I've been extremely blue today, because I keep wondering why I chose so wrong. Also, lately, I've been thinking about my spouse's sister, who is a total drug addict/alcoholic slob, who doesn't work, treats her husband and children like crap, keeps her house in shambles, never cooks dinner, and is basically a sloth, yet....HER husband works his buns off daily to provide for her & the kids, has her set up in a beautiful home, bought her a brand new car, worships the ground she walks on, and doesn't expect a thing out of her, plus bought her a $20,000 ring, which she happily rubbed in my face last time I saw her. I simply don't understand women like that who treat their men like crap, and get rewarded for it, yet I roll out the red carpet for my man, and I am nothing, but a secretary with no home, no nothing. It's silly to compare, but it just makes you wonder.....I am officially out of it today, please disregard!
(0)

It seems like in most marriages someone is always getting the short end of the stick. The only times that other people's marriages seem ideal to me are either when I don't know the couple well enough to know what their lives together are really like, or when the wife is really headstrong and totally accepting of herself, and her husband is supportive (but those are few and far between.) Your sister in law's situation sounds so off balance; her poor kids! One time on Oprah I saw a lady on bragging about her perfect marriage, and Oprah asked the husband how he does it. He said something like, "A little piece of me had to die so she can be happy"!!! My mom and I laughed till we cried. It was awful but probably a lot of people have been there. (I always wondered if that couple stayed married after that.)
(1)

I have a friend who's 68. Her kids have been grown since her 40s. She was married young and felt she needed to stay in a marriage with a man who no longer took her into consideration. He just sat around all day not wanting to do anything. Two years ago she told him she couldn't live with him anymore and he moved in with a son who was single. She has been enjoying life so much. She says she should have done it sooner. You are going to learn how to be alone with yourself. A group of woman I grew up with get together once a month for lunch. My husband is a golfer so I have gotten in touch with a few old friends and we have breakfast together and sometimes shop. You don't need a man that doesn't make you number one.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter