Follow

I wanted a place to post all those little victories and good news. Mini celebrations and such.

I will start. My mother is always fighting UTI's and each one takes a little more out of her, mentally and strength wise. After not speaking to any of us caregivers for days and becoming so weak that moving her is like moving a 170 pound sack of potatoes....

Last night, Mom initiated conversation (it was gibberish but she tried), she used her legs a little when I was lifting her to move her and the best part was when I was moving her to the toilet she misunderstood my instructions about where to put her hands and ended up grabbing me in a big bear hug. I jokingly thank her for the awesome hug (just about the very first hug she has given me in my life) but needed her to grab the grab bar. Well, we both ended up in a huge long belly laugh. Her interaction, good mood and her strength lasted until she went to bed.

Maybe her latest antibiotic had finally worked, maybe it was a fluke but I am celebrating anyway.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
Sendhelp,
Thanks for your comments upthread. I do think it's important for the caretaker to look after their own health too, less they suffer and aren't able to keep that role. If I fail, there is no one left for my cousin. I'm it. AND, I'm happy to say that I'm now down by 41 pounds! I feel much better and am trying on skinny jeans! lol

My cousin has progressed, but, they adjusted her medication recently, and she seems to be more content. That is a blessing, as at this stage, I am grateful for her comfort. We have to adjust our expectations and I celebrate any time that she is at peace, comfortable and smiling.
(4)

Think sister has dementia sometimes i cryhen feel bad if she cant help what she does. Not dianosed yet
(0)

Received letter from VA today Dad approved for full amount of Aid and Attendance after only 8 weeks.
(5)

My niece was one of the Gerber baby photo contests finalists! I just found out yesterday but I am so proud! Love you, baby.
(2)

Sunnygirl,
Congratulations on your progress! Having you in your loved one's life must be such a good thing, a n d
you are taking care of yourself too!
(3)

I'm happy to celebrate this coming July 4th! I'm so grateful for the good fortunate that's come my way. I have now lost a total of 30 pounds! So, I'm feeling better. I also got my labs back and great news. All of them looked better than ever in my life. I'm a Type I diabetic, so, good blood work is priceless. My cholesterol is under 150 and my LDL is low. What a blessing.

I've bought some clothes for my LO and we are going to her for a little celebration in the morning at the MC facility. (Refreshments, balloons, music, etc. ) I know this year, she won't be able to enjoy it as much, but, still. It's the moments that count and hopefully, we'll be able to have a few of those.
(3)

Have a nice trip Jeanne.

Ms Madge, sorry I missed the memorial day celebrations!
Can you please explain who has a station wagon these days? I am still wanting a Volvo wagon but seems to not care much anymore-so happy to own a carefree easy to drive car.
When we saw a new car parked in an office building lot, it took me two weeks to get over the shock of how beautiful, how pretty the color red looked, how could anyone afford a car that expensive, just sitting there parked.....and I walked right by it when we should have taken a picture!

It was a Tesla X
(4)

I'm going on a trip and the airline has more restrictive carry-on luggage sizes than most airlines do. After hours of searching I found nice purple bags that will work! Yay me!
(8)

My next door neighbor brought my trash cans in off the street today - she told me you get home so late and I don't want anyone thinking the house is empty
(7)

Candi Youhave been doing a wonderful job for Fil but now is a good time to rethink the future. Is it realistic for you to go back to full time caregiving wthyour own physical problem. You are facing spinal surgery which has a very long recovery period. Who is going to look after you?do not even mention the word guilt. You have gone way above and beyond in your care.
FIL will be entering a facility for rehab which will likely be within a nursing home. If it seems that he might settle there perhaps that would be th time to make the transition.
As far as visiting and taking home cooked meals. If yu really can and want to do that when you get to the hospital entrance ask for a wheelchair and someone to take you to FIL's room
(8)

Trying to learn how to use this blog. I am very low tech. I have been reading comments of a lot of you all and it is nice to know there is a place to go and people to talk to that are going through some of the same things. No one knows unless they have dpne the walk or is doing the walk. I felt rather guilty that my father in law that I have cared for the last 10 years in my home with multiple medical issues was hospitalized Monday and needs rehab for IV therapy for an infect for 2 weeks. The part I feel guilty about is that for the first time in 10 years I am trying hard to have me time. The hyper-vigilance that caregivers go on a daily basis when they're dealing with people with multiple falls, dementia dialysis, diabetes and so on can really bring a person down so many years. I am trying hard not to feel guilty I'm just enjoying myself before he comes home. I'm not able to visit him as a used to cook him fresh meals every day when ever he was hospitalized before, but I'm not able to now because I've had too many injuries myself and I'm unable to do the long walks down the hospital hallways as I await spinal fusion that I've been putting off for a year. So the little celebrations are taking care of me. Making sure I take all of my prescribed medications, doing some things around the house that I've been putting off. I'm just enjoying not having to worry about him falling, preparing his breakfast, lunch, dinner, med tray, snack, making sure he didn't drop medicine on the floor so my grandchildren don't come and eat it cuz they may think it's candy all of that is gone from my head right now. His dementia has progressed to the point that he can't even use the microwave and he thinks breakfast is every 2 hours so the care has really quadrupled the last two years. So right now the caregiver is caregiving for herself so that she can continue to care give when the care recipient comes home from rehab.
(5)

Ali and Mina,

I see the Cubs are playing the Dodgers over Memorial Day weekend - why don't you pack up the station wagon and head out west for the long weekend

We west coast folks will look for you at olvera street - we'll be eating enchiladas and have a pitcher of mango margaritas waiting (virgin for Send).
(5)

A new Starbucks drive-thru.
Cocoa, vente please.
Can you add a little coffee please?
Do you want a shot of expresso or Pike's coffee?
Pikes.
Do you want whipped cream with that?
Yes.
$3.45 at the window.
Wow, never saw that many baristas working that fast (not gossiping or standing around) ever! 12-15 people, working hard! Great to see!

Best cocoa ever! Tried this about 3 times now.
Best cocoa or coffee, EVER!
Is also good in the small size.

You've Got Mail, movie quote:
"[to Kathleen Kelly (Shopgirl) in email] The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who have no decision making capability whatsoever, who don't know what the h*ll they're doing or who on earth they are, can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall! Decaf! Cappuccino!"  
Lol.
(4)

Also looked up the Purple blue foliage. It is beautiful on that tree, lining the streets, just gorgeous!
(1)

In the past I've seen jacaranda mentioned in print but never gave it much thought. Today with the magic of the world wide web it is more than just a word, everything I wanted to know and more is just a click or two away. Wow, that's some tree!
(3)

A ham croissant and a grande nonfat latte - ahhh
(1)

It's the month of May and the jacaranda are in bloom

Zenyatta had a filly and she's up and running
(1)

A day at Disney beats a day wiping butts any time. I am eating my way around world showcase, alone, and loving every minute of it.
(4)

So cool, a cool cat that pees on your hubs and sits at your feet. Hmmmn.
(1)

Hey Send! Cats are fine. We boarded them at vet for 2 days during flooring install because we could not put them in a room with closed door since flooring install was 4 rooms. Funny, one is 11 year black long hair Siamese mix. He has become a biter. I think stress related to the other cat we've had a year and the flood and aftermath. The fans and water remediation team...the concrete instead of floor..baseboards hanging off. Wellllll, I told the vet tech when we dropped off, the vet, the receptionist, he has become a biter. My husband shrugs it off. When we pick up, the bill includes ketamine and pet tranquil and a shortened vet check up and a single typed word FRACTIOUS. The tech saw me and mouthed "you were right". It took 3 people including hubs, falconer gloves and pillowcase to get cat into cat carrier. Another shirt shredded. Cat also peed on hubs. I wish people would listen to my stress warnings. Cats are little autistic critters who follow own rules and hate change. Maybe that is why I've been successful primary caregiver to our son. I understand anxiety. But same cat is now purring at my feet with his mouse and sleeping box. It takes so little when you understand the rules.
(3)

Barb your husband is so fortunate to have you. I wanted to wish all you wonderful moms and grandmothers on this thread a Happy Mother's Day weekend. Thank you for all your support and information on this forum.
(2)

Very happy for a fortuitous outcome when you noticed a problem, Barb. Celebration worthy, for sure! Very happy and also relieved for you to avoid a bigger problem with infection or whatever happens when the situation goes unattended.. Good job. :)
(5)

Barb,
Good news indeed !
(2)

Guestshopadmin,
So happy for you, your hubs, and the cats! The cats did survive, did they?
(4)

Yes, things do work out sometimes, Barb, and I am so glad.
The stars align, or the gods align; Nah, that's not it.......

The good patient reports to the good caregiver who reports to the good urgent care who reports to the good E.R. who reports to the good hospital, who fixes the good patient who complies with the good treatment so both return back to their good home. Praise God!
And congratulations!
(6)

So, I come home Tuesday evening and my husband (who is not from the complainers) tells me he doesn't feel well. Turns out his urine has been dark for a day. It's already 6 PM, so we go to urgent care.

They dx blood in his urine. He's on Coumadin ever since his aortic valve/aorta replacement in 2005. Doc says, you really need an INR reading tonight, so you need to go to an ER. I ask for a recommendation and he sends us to a place I never would have thought of.

It was a very fortunate choice. They drew blood; his INR, which should be 2.5-3.5, was 17. Dangerous, possible fatal range. Transported by ambulance to the hospital affiliated with this ER. spent two nights there, treatment worked and he's back home. Somehow, things work out sometimes.
(10)

6 weeks after flood we have flooring in all rooms. Son made first cut in process for internship to be decided next week. Beneficiaries and VA paperwork completed and submitted for best friend's Mom. Woohoo. And by the way M2M I agree on spontaneous jump in car or not arranging coverage in advance. Oh and the water is back on after toilet repair so shower for first time in 2 days...dance to the music!!
(4)

Celebrating a shower every day, it so helps all the pain!
(3)

There is no true guilt for taking care of ones self! Or there doesn't need to be.
Not cold Mom2Mom

Turned off t.v. by 10 p.m., watching news less and less, kindle in drawer by midnight, lights out. Waking again at 3 a.m. is just routine days before the full moon. (happens to me, even if I ignore it or don't mention it.)

Tonight, just because I can, driving to the store for ten minutes-practicing freedom while I still can.
(4)

I am celebrating being able to jump in the car spontaneously and go wherever I want. I know it sounds cold but I had been so tied down.
(7)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter