Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Well, my mean MIL with dementia is back home after 6 days in AL, which was an expensive and disheartening disaster. The change/break of schedule threw off any patterns we had, and she's so much worse...even grabbed my hair yesterday while screaming at me that she was the boss, and trying to hit at me. She's 95 now, and weighs 110 pounds; I'm a strapping 49 and 190 lbs., so I'm not worried that she is stronger. It was bad enough to deal with all the mental meanness (you're fat, are you pregnant again?; speak up, you mumble; you all would never make it without me; I own you; you are idiots....etc), but now the physical comes on. I'm truly depressed, but have no choice but to keep going. My husband believes the theory that we are all distilled to our essence at the end. This whiskey's rough and burns all the way.
(0)

I have read every one of these comments and am very grateful that you all are here. I quit my job 5 years ago and moved in with my mom (at her request even!) to help out so she could keep her home. Now, all this time and with not even a paycheck for the last five years I'm suddenly the enemy. My sister, who is an hour away, is the angel and I am the devil. I tell people that I am the custodial parent and she is the Good Times parent, which gets a laugh but most people don't know how much your own mother can hurt you. I'm not mad at my sister - she is doing her part and I am doing mine - but when you give up your job and your home and cross the country only to get abused it makes you want to pack up and leave and never come back. It is true that all these platitudes are not - NOT - helpful. I know that it's the disease! I'm just a daughter trying to obey the 4th commandment, so these things mean nothing to me. I am not a nurse or a psychiatrist and I don't have the foggiest idea how to find the trigger! I wish I could do them but frankly my plate is full trying to get a glass of water into my mom so she doesn't get dehydrated. I don't have the time or the energy to learn what took the professionals years of study! So if all you experts out there want to help us why don't YOU come three times a day and see if she'll eat for YOU. THAT is what will help!

Sometimes when I am feeling strong I say to my mom, "Boy, when you are on the other side and you see the video of everything that has happened in your life you are going to give me one whopping big apology!" The nurses smile but my mom does not. But it reminds me that I'm doing it because you take care of your parents. Because it's the right thing to do, and even God says so because that is the first commandment that carries a promise with it.
(1)

My mom seems fine but is really mean to myself and has accused us of stealing my deceased dad;s stuff from her. my siblings used this as a way of convincing my mom that she was right and that she was right to never see us again and having her give them all her possessions and money. I continue to call her infrequently because she is so mean to me. Today I called her and she was "nice" to a degree. I never know "who" is going to be answering the phone when I speak to her. It is very sad for me, as now we are shunned from every person in my family of origin. I try to focus on my nuclear family which is great! Please share. I found this site because I was researching "meanness" and narcissistic personality disorder.
(1)

I had to take away one of my wife's memory medications about six weeks ago. It was causing nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss and dizzy spells when sitting up from a laying down position. Since that time, her memory has decreased drastically and she has started having spells of extreme anger. I'm still not dealing too well with the sudden hostility, but fortunately it usually passes within five to thirty minutes. Then she's all loving again. But now I'm becoming more reluctant to take her out in public, never knowing what might set her off, or how to deal with the anger if it does rear its ugly head. Anyone who has found a good way to deal with it, other than just walking away from it, I'd really appreciate their insight.
(0)

lars37, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think there is a foolproof way to deal with the anger in public. They are in their own little world. Removing them from the situation seems to be all that works.

I hope others have some suggestions for you. Stay strong. I know it's hard.
(0)

Thanks so much for this conversation. My mom was recently diagnosed with dementia after a devastating, though benign brain tumor. She has just been released from the skilled nursing home she has been at, recovery was long. It shows I am not alone...though I do this by myself at the moment. Mom has been saying mean stuff. I react not in the best way. It’s hard...
(0)

Eklrs You will be in my Prayers, may God bless you during this time. You are not alone
(1)

Thank you, I really appreciate it it. I am not sure where or what stage she is at, but going enjoy those good times, which there is many so far. Though man she is verbally rough at times. We are having a good day, so far.she is busy with here dvd collection. Laying down for a bit.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter