Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My husband has dementia and started being very verbally abusive and cruel after we put him on a Parkinson's med. - I'd heard it could be part of the disease, so thought I would just have to live with it. But it got so bad I took him off the med., and there have been no such outbursts since. I'd check on her meds if I were you, as it's so emotionally draining to deal with such behavior. (I thought I'd HAVE to send him away, as I was crying all the time and feeling helpless to deal with his belligerence.) Dr's also say check for a urinary tract infection or something else that could cause a personality change. Personally, I think that sometimes they feel so powerless themselves in the face of this disease that they take it out on anyone around them. But it pays to check for other causes, at least if this is new behavior.
(4)

Me personally cant leave any of them alone in that stage.Better off in asl they will forget you. I rather do that then come home to a serious problem.
(2)

Gayle189: Please google Ativan side effects. You will b surprised at the nature of the serious side effects. My aunt and my mother both had bad reactions to Ativan.
(2)

my aunt is also mean, says hurtful things, we realize she can't help it as she has dementia...she is currently in AL .....she is still ok with me, just confused and argumentative but is downright hateful and mean to her 86 year old sister (my mom) she calles her very bad names and argues at every point and it clearly hurts my mothers feelings.....we both know it is her dementia but it is still hard to swallow......we are going to try to keep her in AL until she passes but if she starts to wander or gets mean with others they will make her move....so now Dr. has her on lowest dose of Ativan twice a day....she is now sleeping her life away....so I had them take her off her morning dose and she has arrisen with a vengence!!! she calls both of us several times a day and forgets why she calls, or accuses us of stealing her money, locking her away in her apt., not coming to visit or bringing her food (she gets her meals delivered twice a day) and we talk to her daily and I do her shopping...
(0)

I would LOVE for her to go to ALF, but she REFUSES to go. She won't go to the doctor and won't even attempt to go anywhere. I am at an utter loss. Thank you for your responce and advice. I appreciate it.
(0)

Let me tell u one thing dear that what ever she does she definitely don't mean it this is simply just because of the dementia....... In fact the patient that is suffering from such kind of disease is in a huge pain but can not tell any one...........
Let's enjoy all that we have worked so hard to attain.
There are countless people over 65 who are enjoying
life, good health, and mental acuity. You just don't
hear them whining--they're too busy! But sometimes life demands something from u at a certain stage sometimes it would be your time and some times in shape of something else.;....... If u are loosing her then i think u might shift her to an assisted,
(2)

Thank you for responding...it's funny you mention blindness & deafness as she is plagued with both. My husband has suggested to keep the converstaions "short and sweet" and less frequent. I just don't feel right not calling to check on her daily (or every other day) There is another care giver in the family, whom she clearly adores, however their visits are infrequent as are their well-ness calls. All I know is that this job is not for the faint of heart. Hope it goes smoother for us all. Thanks for responce, very much appreciated!
(2)

People with dementia may simply not realize at all that they have a problem, so when they can't understand it is because the other person is speaking gibberish, just like when some people with hearing impairment can't make out what you say, it isn't because they can't hear, but because you are mumbling! They can't be reasonable or empathetic the way you'd have every right to expect if they could still think and reason and take other people's perspectives. It hurts - you can't help but hurt some over these kinds of things. But I know it helped me to realize that when my mom who had lost her vision still insisted I looked like a drip, etc. etc, maybe her disinhibited, frank negative comments weren't really all that accurate after all...and she'd been pretty prone to be critical and negative even before she got dementia. Sorry this is happening to you! You really do have to lower your expectations of her and keep contacts very short and maybe focused on very simple concrete things. I became Mom's laundry and sugar-free candy refill lady, and let her spend more time with her grandson whom she adored. He could come in with uncombed hair and cat-chewed flip flops and we was as good as gold...I could never quite do or say anything entriely right though!
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter