I'm caring for my elderly Dad and really need some support at this time.

Follow

I'm caring for my elderly Dad and really need some support at this time. Maybe my idea will help someone else care for their parent also. Thanks so much :)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
Yes, it is harder when it is your flesh and blood - so many emotions are there. As your parent declines, you grieve each loss, and that takes emotional energy. It is not the same as looking after someone with whom you do not have those bonds, it is much harder.
(4)

Its also harder when its your flesh and blood in a weird way.
(1)

Well, Ive done it both ways. Id rather sacrafice a bit.
(1)

river - sorry you are offended by some of the comments and that you felt/found the NH care your dad got was sub standard, We have had people here, who have worked in NHs and with seniors, find that having that job entirely to themselves 24/7 is quite a different matter and more challenging. That's all. Wishes for success.
(1)

I'm fine about the link being removed. We fully understand the consequences to the choice we made for my Dad. I am not a child. I'm 47 and I bet I've been through a heck of a lot more than most people in my life. While I understand what we did for my Dad is not right for everyone, I am annoyed at the insinuation that I'm naïve and don't understand what I've got into. We are behind on our bills, nothing insurmountable, but we had 3, yes 3 months to build my Dad a house. We took every penny and a loan to get it done. Some may call me stupid, I think I did the right thing.
(1)

riverrat - asking for support here is fine and one of the purposes of the site. Asking for funding and posting a link in not allowed, as you now know

I, for one hope you do come back and get support, as you, like many others here have taken on the huge task of hands in care giving of a parent with Alzheimer's. Your father sounds like such a nice man, and you obviously care deeply for him and want to do the best for him. I am glad you have some help and hope it all works out as you planned. I am a little surprised that your hub does not know about the financial troubles you both are in. Surely he was part of planning this venture.

In any case, wishing you success in working this out so you all are looked after. (((((((hugs)))))
(3)

Riverrat, the link to your gofundme page was always destined to be removed as it goes against the policy of this site. And everything you post here belongs to AgingCare, so your thread will not be deleted either, ever. That is something we all need to keep in mind when we post to such forums/sites, what we say online stays online.
I hope you keep coming to the site for advice and updates though, we are a pretty diverse group of people and usually there is someone out there who has "been there, done that".
(1)

Sorry, riverrat, but I think on this forum we have seen way too many disasters due to people getting in too deep in their efforts to care for their parents. We are so awash in other people's misery that the first impulse is to try to warn people against sacrificing more than they can afford to sacrifice. I'm sorry if it sounds unsympathetic, but that's just how it is.
(3)

You know, the reason I was seeking out a forum such as this is because I believed I would have an audience that would appreciate and have an understanding of what I did for my Dad and to possibly get some much needed assistance. Sadly, I was mistaken. Please moderator delete this thread as I don't know how. Thanks.
(0)

Thanks for telling me, I did not even notice. They can delete this thread, I don't know how :(
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions