Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
LWD, so you intend to hang in there, I get it, I really do, as it was/is a cultural thing for us too, my folks were from Wales and all the way dow the line, kids looked after their elders, so its kind of ingrained into us. I came from a big family who all helped, so we had it a lot easier than most, plus our parents were lovely and appreciative, which makes all the difference in the World!

Now mt husband's family is completely fractured, coming from a very dysfunctional family, and we were the only ones who stepped up when my MIL passed away, to look after the Old Man who had never lived on his own in his whole life, and as afraid to even try. Plus, after he moved in with us, it became clear to me that he was the reason why their family was so dysfunctional in the first place, as he is a selfish Narcissist, who is only interested in his own wellbeing before anything else! I does make it difficult to live with, but after coming on here several years ago, I learned SO much, and really appreciate the feedback and the knowledge from the Best, and those who have worked in the trenches!

So now thatvwe know that you are IN IT TO WIN IT!, Lol, and you mentioned that your Dad has mobility issues, my suggestion to you is to get PT and OT in to make him as strong as possible, and o make your home as Safe as possible. Remember, you are getting older too, and trying to care for a fully grown adult who is falling and can't get up, is a B*#@H on your back! He might finght you on it, but keep at it, as he can prolong his mobility if he keeps his leg muscle strength up! Stretchy bands, those stationary exercise pedals, where he can sit and "cycle", and a Rolator Walker helps A Lot, giving him stability, plus a place to sit, should he get tired. Anything that will keep him walking on his own, is going to give you relief in the long run.

My FIL got very lazy, after he quit driving, and was just itting around ll day watching TV, but PT got him understanding that it is a USE IT OR LOSE IT proposition, and if he ends up ed bound, then neither my husband nor I could physically continue to are for him at home due to our own physical disabilities, and he would end up in a nursing home, no if ands or buts. Now he walks the circle of our home, several laps, 3-4 times a day, and it really has kept him much more stable. That's it for now, I hope this gives you some helpful ideas! Up to this point, we aren't dealing with Dementia, snd I know his puts a lot of added pressure on you, and I'm really sorry about that!
(1)

Staceyb- it does give me ideas for the "future" mobility issues. Right now he's very mobile. His back hurts him some because of a past injury. But other then that. He moves around and is into everything. Right now his thing is pulling out wires. Got a cable wire sticking out your wall or you cable box, dads on it. No more cable. So we've got the smaller electronics with wires locked up and we bring them out as needed. Praying that the flat screen stays safe.
(1)

Of course it did! I don't recommend that one person take on caregiving! The mental and physicial strain takes a toll on everyone involved...in this case, except the abusive elder! Seek out help with town's social worker.
(0)

Soloinny-Right! Lol. This is perfect. Small fridge ✅. We have this coat closet that we had to turn into a pantry with a lock. All sharps and anything he can open are in there. For his tv- he plays with the buttons, the volume at 3 in the morning. Boy! luckily it's one of the old ones with the option to lock front panel making it operational only with remote. But resets when power cord is unplugged then replugged. He recently discovered this. Wall mount didn't think about that. We were looking into a tv case- water tamper and dad proof. I'm buying zip ties today! Have a question about the outlets. If they are dismantled how does he receive electricity to his room. For light and tv? Very helpful thanks
(0)

You guys are scaring me to death.... So far my mom lives in her own apt, with lots of help, and the confusion/forgetfulness is only because of her pain meds (I hope). The possibility of dementia is frightening, because I entertain elderly ladies once or twice a week for a couple hours, and they, too, are forgetful/confused - pretty soon I will be, also! (P.S. She will not come to our house, because we already did that, for 3 years, and NO ONE was happy....) You ARE teaching us, though, and it is really appreciated; hang in there....
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter