Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
Hi daughterofmom. I'm so sorry you are going through this and all I can say is don't pay attention to your sisters. In the end, they both know what you are sacrificing and so DOES YOUR MOM. It may not seem that way now. What I can tell you is to Hospice for help, they may be able to give you some relief and perhaps some ideas as to how financially you can have some respite care. You need it!

I know some people here say, move out, leave her and forget about your sisters; I disagree with that because once your Mother is gone, guess who has to live with the decisions you've made in life... YOU and not your sisters. Like I said earlier, they know what you are doing and if they don't realize it, then it really doesn't matter. What you choose to do and if not to take care of your Mom may later haunt you. Whether she was a bad mother or not, you don't have to do the same because you are different. Think about this situation not being "done to you" but that your Mother doesn't have much time left. You don't say what's wrong with your Mom in your letter so I don't know the specifics. I come from a country where you don't walk away from family because things get tough and you certainly don't put your parents in a facility for someone else to take care of her. As I said no matter how she chose to parent you, this should not reflect as the type of person you are. Have patience, ignore what your sisters are saying or what your Mother says about you. Do the right thing for you in the caring of your Mother. All you can do is your best. I wish you all the luck and peace you deserve.
(2)

I so know how u feel.. except she my mom lives in my mom.. I have no say over anything. And she always calls my niece and sister and tells them her lies.. my sister knows better through she tried to live with her and couldn't either... so I am her last resort.. but I can't do this..
(0)

I'm with Dunwoody. The damage to you is going to end up being greater than the help to your Mother. She sounds like a survivor - she will come out on top no matter what the circumstances. Bless you for your kind and generous spirit, but take care of yourself.
Also, the time to move her into a nursing/assisted living facility is now while she has some money of her own. Facilities are far more motivated to help her get on Medicaid when her money runs out, than if you wait. I found this out the hard way. ;(
Try not to feel guilty, this is best for all. God bless!
(1)

I agree that dom can SEE to her mother's necessary care, but she doesn't owe her mothr anything besides a detached, unemotional administration of said "care."
She is investing her entire life and all her emotions into a sick situation.
If a person has not experienced a lifetime of an awful mother--not to mention one who ABANDONED her children--they have NO IDEA.
We are caring and forgiving people who care for and see to the end of life care for people who did not do the same for us as children when it really mattered. Additionally, we do not repeat the sickness, but instead struggle and forge a new pattern of parenting for our own children, therefore, breaking the chain.
(0)

daughterofmom, I know how you feel. My mother has been staying with me for the past five months. If you can't have your needs met in your situation, then you need to get out. I too feel like it's "best" to provide care for my mother in my home as opposed to sending her to a nursing home--she is totally against the idea. However, there comes a time when it becomes too much to handle. Don't let your happiness or your physical/mental health be put at risk. The feeling of being burned out is more intensified when there is no appreciation and no family support. You've bent over backwards to accommodate your mother's needs; be willing to take care of yourself too.
(3)

Sorry suppose to say my mom lives with me...
(0)

Mama cusses us everyday at bath time. Your sisters don't want to be bothered and you need a break. If you cannot afford a nh, Midicare will pay for a day nurse to come and stay with her for 4 hrs a day maybe more. You need to be alone without worring about what sisters or people will say. The nh sounds wonderful. Give it a try and have no guilt about it
(0)

My mom absolutely fights the idea of a shower or bath. I would put up daily cards that would remind her when it was 'shower day' and she would just push them out of the way. So I kept putting it up each day and she would just ignore it. I told her that if she doesn't start bathing regularly that I would get a nurse to come in and do it. I hate to take her freedom of choice away from her. I tried to just keep it casual with just the reminder but she isn't having it. One day she outright said to me, "I don't see why I have to take a shower". I told her that she didn't have to everyday but at least twice a week or every three days would be nice. She just said, "Why"?
(0)

re; my mom absolutely fights the idea of a shower or bath
join the club

we have home health care giving her sponge baths at least twice a week

:-) Wayne
(0)

Good to vent! However, you chose this situation and it will be YOU to fix it. I have similar sisters and I knew I had to be an advocate for our mother, but it still hurts to hear untrue things said about you. You either have to let it go in one ear and out the other or find yourself another place to live. You did not say your mother has been diagnosed with dementia so I am only giving you some of my thoughts. Good luck and take care of YOURSELF.
(0)

don't do this to yourself...make arrangements for someone else to care for your mother or have her placed in facility. And DON'T take any crap from your siblings.
(1)

I think Kayjay got it right.

Make a plan and get out. Start saving your money.

If you have been through a rough patch and financially are not where you want to be, give your self permission to envision a happy future and start cutting out pictures of what that looks like and saving them. Go look for people who have what you want and start asking them about how they got where they wanted to be.

Try to find funny movies, funny people to give you a good laugh.

When everything is so drama queen driven it's very hard to be up beat.
(1)

My mom has been living with me for many years. She's 101 years old and she is driving me nuts. I have a sister who only knows how to fend for herself. At least your sister spends an hour with your mom every Friday. Mine only comes here to visit if there are other people present. She has not once taken mom out to give me a respite.
It seems in each family there is one responsible member who will take on the challenges of caring for a parent. It seems you are that person in your family.
The ones who don't help are the ones who are the "angels" and the ones who get complained to. My mom lies to me and to everyone who will listen to get her way. I don't know if this is helpful to you but at least your are not the only one. There are a lot of us who are sick of being care givers. I have stopped communicating to my mom and only speak to her when necessary. Old age has changed her in ways I don't like. I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. I won't put my mom in a home because I would feel too guilty. I hope you have more strength.
(1)

Omg. The 3 digit numbers scare the heck out of me:(((
(1)

You say you're venting, but you're explaining and we're listening.

My first thought in regards to the idea of you finding assisted living or in-home care is "you are damned if you do, damned if you don't". I don't see a win for you because, given their behaviors, your sisters/mom could find fault in all of your decisions and continue to manipulate you and time will just keep ticking away. Let your sisters figure it out since they are talking to your mom. She'll be ok. Know that and be strong.

I join the others in giving you 'permission' to move out. Listen to your heart and take care of yourself.
(1)

I feel like I understand your "situation" except that for me, there are no siblings, and it is several years later of full time care-giving, but long distance, managing my relative's needs when no one else is considered "next of kin". Emotionally, mentally - this will bankrupt you to stay. It will likely hurt your financially as well. You may feel like you are being test to the max spiritually for just "what ARE the family obligations society puts on the family member?" If I had this to do all over again, I probably wouldn't, but I know more now, than I knew several years ago.

Care - there are "continuous care housing complexes". From independent living to the extreme hospice care, somewhere in the spectrum will suit your Mom. On the low end, look for a place that only wants 30% of her monthly gross income (income either from Social Security or pension, etc. is still income). Other places may be low-income housing with rent control. If she goes into independent living, the complex may allow the deposit to be split over several or more months.

To help with finances -- if your Dad was a Vet and she earned less, apply for a "top up" for her from his VA benefits. She may get this processed inside 30 days from the VA. Some other benefits may also be available to her as a widow of a Vet.

HEAP - check with your local government office - call your gas and electric utility provider. This will lower her utility bill. There are other government discount programs and base level service discounts.

COUNCIL ON AGING - Cal them. They will know of more programs for her.

HABITAT FOR HUMANITY - If the house needs any repairs, check with your local office and see if HH will do repairs for free, or a 0% loan.

REVERSE MORTGAGE - While this "can" help pull out equity from the house so your Mom has it available to spend , be aware up front load fee can be around $8000, or more. Home has to meet FHA/ HUD safety standards - or repairs have to be less than 15% of appraised value. "Repair set aside" is 150% of the total quote for repairs. It's paid from closing. (I'm not an expert. You can ask Council on Aging for a counseling appointment. There is a list on the HUD website for who is under contract for doing counseling. Some offer grants and do not charge fees - others charge up to $125. We just went through this exercise.)

Meals on Wheels may help keep her food costs down. So will food stamps if she qualifies.

Get a social worker to step in and independently evaluate her needs. It may also help you to have an "out" so the "decisions of how to help your Mom" are made by a neutral third party.

Hope this helps.

You have a lot of support here. Seems many of us are going through a similar experience and our hours of despair as caregivers.

Good luck!
(3)

Mu husband argues with me whenever I try, gently, calmly, to get him to shower. In fact again today he INSISTED very vehemently that he showered yesterday morning. I just said OK. It was Saturday since he showered. It just is too discouraging to try and explain. I wish there were some way to keep track, but he won't even believe it when I note it on a calendar so I don't know what to do.
(0)

well, we just had the PT here
when she was strapped with the belt to stand up she put up such a fuss
this happens every time with the home health PT
this is getting so tiresome
she has such a mental block
what does anyone here suggest I do?
besides taking her out to the woods behind the house and shooting her, that is :-) LOL W
(1)

Well, I might go out into the woods, but I'd go alone and commune with nature and with God's creation! Do you think she is afraid? Does the PT-ist explain what he/she is doing and why? Maybe he/she could demonstrate on you first??? I don't know...just some random thoughts....
(0)

The physical therapist is trained to deal with this. He or she should be able to handle this without worry to you. I would leave the general vicinity to minimize your own stress. Your perception of her stress is worse than her distorted perception of it.
It is what it is--I hate that trite saying, but sometimes it fits. xo
(0)

she did demonstrate on me i mean, its so damn easy she is afraid its a mental block shes making something so easy so difficult PT is going to wait a little longer until the antri-anxiety meds take effect she needs a psychiatrist and a nursing home i understand either medicare or medicaid pays for nursing home IDK i really hate it when the PT comes here Its always the same scenario she acts like a cat thats afraid of water I'm going to try to get her to stand up out of bed tomorrow hey, wish me luck I mean, this is so exasperating :-) wayne Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks :-) wayne Having the PT come here from home health care is the thing I dread the most absolutely no productivity whatsoever :-) W she is physically able to stand up she just WON'T :-) Wayne
(0)

Well I said get out now. Wish someone had told me that 17 years ago. Today is an average day for me. My mom is 90. Won't allow anyone to come help me. She runs any home health off. Her mind is perfectly normal. Memory is fantastic. Today I had to listen to her tell me how much she hates me and endure her hitting on me. She throws everything on the floor and has fits of rage if I say anything. And no she's not afraid. She's not afraid of Satan. She's just mean and always has been. She won't allow any help. I have been doing it for so long. They hate her at the hospital and all the doctors and nurses dislike her. I endured beatings as a child. Hair pulled out, head beat into door facings and kicked when I fell down. Then told if it wasn't for me she could have done this or that. I was petrified of her. So was my dad. She was diagnosed with Narcissistic disorder and other stuff I can't even pronounce. She is a hypochondriac so my days are filled with all her nonexistent illnesses.

This is why I tell you to go. Go as quickly as you can.
(3)

Silver, may I recommend an Exorcism?
(2)

Silver , you can always take her out back and shoot her just a thought :-) Wayne
(0)

I've got a Stry and a sig sauer the magazines are fully loaded just hope I don't miss :-) LOL Wayne
(0)

oops should be Stry that gun has a laser on top cool, huh? :-) Wayne I need some target practice :-) wayne
(0)

Styr dont know why I keep spelling it Stry
(0)

Silver, why aren't you going?
(0)

There's a lot of advice here from people who know. Please take care of yourself by finding assisted living or some other arrangement for your mom and getting yourself out of this mess. You can't keep it up for good reason. Accept no guilt and move on. You could start with in-home care by an agency while you look for assisted living.
Good luck,
Carol
(0)

AL or NH might be too expensive for some people. We have in-home health care. It might be cheaper for me, anyway, if instead of moving mom from an AL to a NH, if we just moved her from Texas to Louisiana! :-) LOL Just a thought :-) W . I know Im getting silly lately in these posts but what the heck, right? You know, I never fired an AK-47, I wonder how that would be. :-) LOL Im going to try to get her to stand up off the bed today. This is turning into quite a circus ard her and I m the clown. :-) W
(0)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter