Follow

Not entirely unexpected...my Mother passed away yesterday. No more pain, no more suffering, and I am sure she is now rocking her angel-baby (my youngest brother was stillborn) and filling him in on all of the details of the life and family he was unable to experience for himself here on earth. In my heart, I knew it was coming, and I was already making preparations for the inevitable - as a matter of fact, I was just getting ready to send an email to the mortuary for more information on pre-need arrangements when the phone rang. Ironic, huh?

Mom was admitted to the hospital on Sunday with another hypoglycemic episode - her sugars dropped to 23 this time around, and it took them awhile to bring her around. She had a couple of the same episodes in July, and they had noticeably taken a toll on her, especially on her cognition. She was "awake" but talked about things in her past..asked if my father was "still here, or did he go home already?" (he's been dead for 20 years), talked about a church she used to go to as a child, family members who have passed, etc. The doctor at the hospital was planning to keep her for a couple of days to stabilize her blood sugar and get a jump on the persistent UTI that had been plaguing her for over a month now, and then they were going to transfer her back to the nursing home, since she was on limited intervention with a DNR in place (I can not express how thankful I am that she signed that paperwork!). My sister actually came to the hospital to see her (first time in over a year) and had a good visit - Mom was happy to see her. All seemed to be going "okay" at that point, but deep down I knew the time was near.

Yesterday morning I was just getting ready to head to the hospital when I received a call from the hospitalist. He told me he made his rounds and spoke to Mom. She seemed to have had a good morning, she ate breakfast, said she was feeling better, wasn't in any pain, and that she was ready to go back to the nursing home so she could get some sleep...she can never sleep in the hospital. He said she looked better than she did the day before, her numbers were all good, and he was planning to call me with her discharge information later in the day. About an hour later, the nurses called him and told him her heart monitor readings were off - she had inadvertently disconnected a couple of the leads the day before, so they thought that had happened again. When the nurse checked on her, she found that she had passed. He believes the "funky" readings were the result of her pacemaker still pacing away.

The doctor told me he didn't see this coming at all, or he would have called me sooner to come in. He said it appeared as though she nodded off for a nap, and that was that. When my daughter and I arrived to sign paperwork and to see her, that is exactly how she appeared - no trauma, no scared expression on her face - just peaceful sleep. I thank God for that visual.

Some of you have seen me at my worst - venting like there's no tomorrow from exasperation and frustration in caring for my (stubborn as a mule) Mom. I feel that caregiving is not something that I was meant to do, and I feel that I didn't do it very well. Of course I took care of my Mom and did what I had to do for her because I loved her, but when things got so bad that I could no longer care for her here I would be lying if I said I wasn't relieved. Having her in the nursing home these past 5 months gave me my sanity back...well most of it...and I felt again like I was her daughter who could have nice visits with her and calmly talk to her instead of feeling like a raving lunatic from the stress of doing everything on my own, without the help of my siblings. I will not and do not feel guilty for that...at least the last few months have been filled with better memories than what would have been had she remained here.

Just a week ago my family and a couple of my Mom's sisters gathered at the nursing home (in their private dining room) and we had a birthday brunch/party for her - she reached the milestone age of 75 years and after all she had been through these past few years, we were determined to celebrate it with her. She enjoyed the day as much as she could, and we got some pictures of her with her sisters before she said she was tired and asked to go back to her room.

I miss my Mom more than words can say. I especially miss the Mom I used to have...the one I had before chronic pain and disease overtook her body, her life and to a lesser extent, mine, in these last few years. Happy memories....that is what I will focus on from here on out....nothing can take those away from me.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I'm sorry for your moms passing. And as you described it ....it seems she was very peaceful at went in her sleep. Oh what a blessing. I pray you feel the comfort of knowing she is now in the loving arms of Jesus. God bless.
(2)

What I find strange is now that she has passed, all those moments of exasperation and frustration passed with her. I'm left feeling the loss of my mother now - not the "sick person" that I cared for & that she became these last few years - does that make sense? I picked up her cremains yesterday, and that sort of made it all hit home...like reality slapping me upside the head. I started to go through her bedroom, and got as far as the dresser (it was easy tossing out socks and underwear) but when I got to her closet...I just couldn't do it. I know there's no rush, but her sister is coming from across country for a visit soon & will be staying in that room, so I wanted to clear some space for her. She was hoping to get out here in time to see my Mom...unfortunately that didn't happen. :(
(1)

My thoughts and prayers are with you Purple.
(2)

so sorry for your loss-It had been so long caregiving I think I had forgotton some moments in time . It seems too brief when they are gone - I didnt think I would make it - the stress is horrible . But sometimes I wish I could see my mom and dad just for another moment -
(2)

purplesushi - I am so sorry for your loss, but glad that your mother passed peacefully and is no longer in pain. Hugs.
(1)

I am sorry for your loss -I hope you keep in touch your imput will be very valuable to those still going through the journey of care giving-it has been over 4 yrs. that the husband died and I still stick around and I and another former caregiver are part of a caregivers support group to help current caregivers-you might want to do that in time I also joined my local senior center where I volunteer each week and a craft group and clean my house when really bored.
(2)

My prayers are with you.
(1)

Hi ~ wow, my heart goes out to you! But you know you obviously did your very best, and yet it's SO easy to guilt trip oneself! Don't! (I know, easy to say...) Right now I'm taking care of my late stage dementia mother, one of, if not the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life, and the last paragraph of your post made me cry my eyes out, especially when you said "I miss the mom I used to have...." yes. I know too well what you meant. Blessings to you! and if you can try to do one small nice thing for yourself every day. here's a cyberhug!
(3)

Dear Purplesushi, My sincere condolences on your loss. You were a wonderful caregiver and faced challenges some of could never deal with as long as you did. While your Mom is rocking baby bro, she is probably telling him what a generous and loving sister he missed knowing. God bless you and I pray you will concentrate on enjoying your life from this point on - you deserve it!
(1)

I am sorry. I hope when you are in your golden years you will be given the same love and care that you gave your mum. I wish you many years of happiness.
(1)

purplesushi, I hope that peace is with you these next few days. Even when it is expected, it can be so hard. You think you weren't the best caregiver, but you probably were. You just recognized when she needed more and made sure she got it. You helped her have the best life she could.
(4)

Keep loving your mom as she will you for all the wonderful things you were able to do. Do not second guess your self, you did the best you could and that is always enough. celebrate her life and keep the memory of that birthday party alive
(2)

So sorry for your loss.
(1)

Dear PurpleSushi,

Sincere condolences on the loss of your mom.
So glad you got to have a nice party for her 75th birthday but I know how you must miss her.
Keep writing and venting out your grief if you can. It really helps.
Welcome to the club none of us want to be a member of.

lovbob
(1)

Purplesushi I am sorry for your loss. You did your best caring for your Mom and should be proud of yourself. she was lucky to have you. You can look back and reflect with no regrets.
(1)

What a beautiful and thoughtful description of a very sad event. She is no longer in pain, and she is safe. May she live in your heart forever, well and happy.
(2)

Purplesushi,

Your mom was very blessed to have a daughter like you, caring, brave and smart enough to get the support she needed from this site. You did your best caring for her and now God is caring for her. No more chronic pain and now He has a great plan for you now that your hands are empty. God bless you dear. Hugs.
(1)

So sorry for your loss.
(1)

as inevitable as death is to an elder in poor health it still leaves one hell of a void in your life. you were good to your mother and i hope you can pick up your own life now with no regrets.
(6)

((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) Chris. I am glad your mum passed peacefully. it is something we all wish for ourselves and our loved ones, So nice that she enjoyed her 75th birthday surrounded by loved ones. I agree you have nothing to feel guilty about, You did a great job and I am glad you had a few months with her in the nursing home. It sounds like she had so many health issues there is no way you could have looked after her at home. In the end, all we are left with is memories. Look after you - more (((((((hugs))))))) Joan
(3)

So sorry for your loss, Purpleshushi.
(1)

Purple, my condolence on your mother. Like you, Father and I was caregiving mom for years without much help from my 7 siblings despite our repeated request for help. When mom passed away in March and at her funeral, my siblings tried to pressure me to “find closure” at her casket. Made me so angry. I have no need for closure. For years, I have seen mom slowly dying. I cried my tears these past years. I later read in a book that we caregivers for years have been slowly mourning our loved ones as they slowly “forgot” each of their original personality. So, please know, that if at the day of her burial, and you do not cry, it’s because you have already been mourning her all these years. {{HUGS}} Book
(6)

Again, so sorry to hear this. It sounds like a peaceful passing that we all wish for. Hoping you and your family have wonderful memories to share and a sense of peace. Hugs!
(2)

I am so sorry for your loss Purplesushi. Standingalones words are perfect. Comfort and peace. I have nothing to add. God bless you and your Mom.
(2)

Purplesushi, I am so sorry... It's a hard place to be, being a care giver...the frustration, insanity, anger...and relief that your mom's suffering, and your own in the dealing, is at an end. Your mom passed peacefully, in her sleep. That's a blessing. You have nothing to feel guilty for. You were there for your mom like a champ. Take comfort in that, and know that your mom is indeed in a warm, peaceful place now, with your brother... Take care... *hugs*
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter