Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
(((((((boni))))) we are making it - one day (hour, minute) at a time. The pain decreases in time but the missing stays.
yaya and Christina I agree with what you both wrote
blannie - mirror neurons make sense to me. It does feel like it is part of who/how I am\
yaya - I feel that we are very limited in what we perceive about the world around us. Things have happened since my son died that are comforts and reminders and too specific to be coincidences. Things happened before too, related to people dying, for example.
(1)

JessieBelle - I don't know if they're necessarily opposites but narcissism and HSP definitely make for a bad combination. What you said about feeling "that things may have to do with me or that I can make them better" doesn't sound to me like narcissism...I sense those feelings come from a warm place, and like Christina said, narcissists are COLD. A narcissist would say, "yeah, I did that. What of it?" Also the fact that you recognize you don't have the "super human abilities to change things" - a narcissist believes s/he DOES have the power to make things change, and doesn't care who s/he steps on to do it. You are a caring, giving individual - no narcissism there!! ((HUGS))
Blannie- I didn't know about mirror neurons but I guess I have those too! I could attend the funeral of a complete stranger and be a basket case by the time the benediction's over!
emjo - I don't know about things on another plane but I'm open to the possibility!
(4)

emjo...hugs back to you. One day (hour) at a time....we'll make it.
(2)

Boni - I am so sorry about your son. My condolences. I lost my youngest son over 10 years ago. he was killed by someone - assault. I have PTSD from childhood and also from my son's death. I suspect the fibro is related to stress and being highly sensitive. Sit coms work for me too. Walking helps the fibro when I get out. I have Ativan and use a little once in a while as I wake up in the middle of the night with my mind racing and can't get back to sleep. I am on a low dose of antidepressant as it helps the fibro pain. I am finding that a daylight lamp helps mood too, and avoiding certain foods helps the fibro pain. I eat low carb and I am finding that I probably can't take coffee (even decaf), tea, or chocolate. :( Herbal teas are OK ((((((hugs to you))))))
(1)

emjo...so strange. I was just wondering if fybromyalgia was related. I have not been diagnosed (no ins) but am pretty sure I have it. I also have ptsd since my son was grotesquely murdered 19 yrs ago, and suffer from severe depression for at least 40 yrs. I watch old sitcoms (frasier,friends) because most drama shows can bring things to mind with graphic violence and certain phrases. I use Valium and marijuana to calm myself and relieve pain when I need to.
Thank God for this site where we can share feelings and experiences.I have learned so much here. Thanks to all of you.
(2)

This is weird -the doorbell just rang but there was no one there - I can see out the side lights and no one in sight. I think we can be sensitive to things on another plane.
(1)

Ahhh, yes. I am an empath.

Boni - I get that feeling too. I can get feelings for people I see when driving down the street. Can't watch violent shows, get agitated hearing crying babies and want to soothe them...

I also have fibromyalgia and think the two may be linked.

And I am the family caregiver...

It is a difficult combination and we can ask too much of ourselves.

I have had to learn not to do that, to establish boundaries, to care enough for me, to detach and distance, to put me first sometimes, and realise that other people's problems are primarily their responsibility. I am not talking about Alz/dementia patients here.

I have seen the "only one" phenomenon, but don't have that in caregiving or anywhere else. If someone else can do it and wants to - let them.

Still growing in this area as I hope we all are. I took far too much cr*p most of my life, but it is never too late to change. Getting better all the time.

Love and hugs to all you empaths
(3)

Just want to say being HSP is NOT a disorder. Being highly attuned to nature and having deep empathy for others is a Gift from God, or wherever you think it comes from. It is not selfish or self-absorbed, as is the Narcissist.
Everyone has a certain amount of narcissistic traits which is part of having good self-esteem, but it not manipulative, damaging to others, or cold. :) xo
(6)

I'm also a HSP. Another thing I've read about that fits me to a "T" is the idea of mirror neurons. Those of us with a lot of mirror neurons in our brain "mirror" the feelings/reactions of those around us more than other people. We're very empathetic and can easily put ourselves in others' shoes. So if I'm with someone who starts to cry, I start to cry. It can get really annoying because I can be so emotional. Some people can just turn that emotion on and off, but once I get going, it's hard to stop sometimes.

I've always been the person to want to rescue others, but I've learned through many years of doing that that it's very hard on me. Now I'm my mom's caregiver and I don't feel like I have a choice, but otherwise, my days of rescuing others are over. I'm putting myself first for once in my life!
(3)

I am one of the sensitive personalities and it is not easy. I am all the time having to remind myself that it isn't other people, it's just that I am too sensitive. I sense even small changes in moods or if something is not flowing quite right. And yes, I feel like I need to make it flow better or make people feel better. But I have to disagree that it is the opposite of narcissism, because often I feel that things may have to do with me or that I can make them better. Talk about narcissism! Usually no one is even thinking about me and I certainly do not have super human abilities to change things.

I think the extreme of the condition is avoidant personality disorder. People who are too sensitive just start avoiding everyone, even though they want to be close to people. It has to be one of the saddest disorders.
(3)

TWISTED Narcissists!! They are! They try so hard to confuse things. It's like the Shell game! Yaya, I was going to tell you about the confrontational thing. I'm not afraid of it. I love to speak up, but have to control myself in certain situations. I can't stand it when the TRUTH is hidden. Very difficult for me to keep quiet if I hear bs or see an injustice. heehee:) Hey, Sis xo
(2)

This is fabulous!! I knew about this but had forgotten it until now. It is me through and through. (Thought of you first thing Christina!).
My ex said "it's always about you isn't it". I was horrified then furious. No, it was never about me with him or my mom. They were both narcissists. Talk about a glutton for punishment with both of them in my life. Finally I had to "fix" this dilemma. Got a divorce and mom died.
Thanks yaya51 for this topic and for reminding me that I am not crazy, there IS a reason for my thoughts and actions.
(5)

Christina - I had the same reaction when I ran across the article. OMG, that's ME!!! I WISH I could grow a thicker skin.....although every now and then I've surprised myself....got into the face of a DMV cop once when he tried to accuse me of falsifying my title application, which had been wrongly filled out by my insurance agent, NOT me. I got really shaky though, and collapsed into tears afterward! As I was reading the article it struck me how well the characteristics "fit" the caregiving role, AND how detrimental they are to it at the same time. It didn't actually state that it's the opposite of narcissism, but boy does it ever seem to be!! Narcissists are incapable of empathy - HSP'ers can't HELP but be empathic. It's in our DNA!!! A blessing....and a curse....
BoniChak - My MIL used to love to watch the Jerry Lewis Telethon every Labor Day weekend...she'd have it on constantly. I couldn't stand to be around it because I would get "sucked in" to all the stories of pain and hardship and empathize so deeply it hurt!
So glad to be getting this feedback...and to realize after all these years it wasn't just me being a "woos". Thnx guys!
(1)

Yaya!!! OMG!!! I have known about this for 3 years! ME, TOO! Like Jinx, I have a "manufactured" tough side. If I had my choice and could RECLAIM the me who was plunked on this planet, I would. However, there are a lot of A holes to deal with, lots of insensitive clods, jealous ignoramuses, etc. So, luckily, with great care, we learn to shield ourselves for survival.
When another vocalist friend of mine told me about HSP--I met her through caregiving, as she goes around to homes singing for elders!!-- it actually seemed like an answer to prayer, therapy, and other pieces I had tried to put together. Once I read the book and went on the website, it felt as if I had found my home.
Thank you so much for bringing the subject--or phenomena--to our attention.
I did not know that this characteristic was the opposite of narcissistic, but it sure makes sense. A while back someone who doesn't like me said, "It's all about YOU, isn't it?" And I was shocked, because it never has been. I always wondered why it could never be about me, but I was programmed by Narcissists!! That is one reason I did not go into professional singing in a major way, because I am not comfortable being in the limelight:)) xoxo
(3)

The "i'm the only one" syndrome is me as well. What is the "pride pitfall"? I'm a little scared right now. My sister watched Mom for a week, and did NOT follow instructions and Mom suffered a major fall. She wants to take Mom for 2 weeks this summer and I wont allow it. I could use the 2 weeks off, but will suffer myself so that Mom is in the BEST hands. Is that what you mean?
(0)

Very interesting theory. I'm sort of like that, but thankfully I also have a bit of my tough grandmother in me as well.

Nancy H - Interesting about your sister-in-law and her "I'm the only one" syndrome. My strange and wonderful daughter will complain about something, and I, the problem solver, will offer (excellent) advice, which she rejects. She has started telling me, "Mom, I don't want to solve this, I just want to complain!" I sort of hate it, but it's liberating to realize that that is really all she wants!

Probably best not to share your insight with your SIL. I would have a HARD time not doing so, but do as I say, not as I do. LOL.
(1)

My sister-in-law and I were just talking last night about how she's always sucked into her mother's drama. Her mother is new to asst living, whiny, needy, ungrateful, scared and the list just keeps going on. The problem is, my sis-in-law is UNABLE to 'just say no' to her mother's demands. That's because she's the 'sensitive' personality you just mentioned, and emphasizes so much with her mother, that she is in turn taken advantage of by her other siblings. BUT I believe she is also skirting the 'pride' aspect of care giving too. Sometimes I think she suffers from the 'I'm the only one that can help mother' syndrome, which if you're not careful can lead to a prideful mindset which is scary and a slippery slope. My sister-in-law is a wonderful person and I love her to death, but she is so sensitive that I'm afraid I'd hurt her if I were to tell her that I see her headed for the pride pitfall. It's a catch 22 thing. And a no win thing too.
(4)

OMG, this is SO me.
In addition to the above I also feel a physical reaction when seeing or hearing a story of pain.Its a tingly wave thru my body. Extreme empathy.
My father and son have (had) it too.
Thanks for this info...it explains a lot.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter