Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
On a more positive note , I will check in at 8 pm tonite, would love to hear how everyone dealt with the stress of the day .
(2)

Starting over , again , this morning.What fresh hell can mother bring today?
(1)

Timbuktu, Looking forward to the day when everyone can just say NO! to the presence of temptations. Sorry your husband would even consider enabling you, especially after announcing you will be trying. YOU CAN WIN your weight loss with a fail-safe plan, enough of the right foods on hand. Don't plan on cheating, but if you do, start right back up again where you are now. Having the desire to be healthier is a great start.
(1)

Coke-I believe others when they say carbonated beverages take the calcium from your bones. I got used to plain water. I dilute weakly some cranberry juice in it.
Let us all eat healthy as a reward!
(0)

Well ,checking in. Today was the last day of mom's chemo. Her last bone scan was clear for met. cancer but did show 2 compression fracture in the thoracic area that we are probably going to have kyphoplasty done on just to be proactive,the worst part is it has to be done under general anesthesia. Also,when the oncologist asked mom about doing radiation ,well, it was a real soap opera and all I could think about was how big a chocolate bar I was going to get (she decided against the radiation which I think is a good move,she is 80 and fairly good quality of life).Also, bless him, but my husband is an enabler. I wasn't really going to get a chocolate bar but when I called him to tell him I was on the way home he was so proud of himself, Guess what I got you... A large bag of salt and vinegar potato chips,which I finished off and a chocolate Symphony bar with toffee chips, a large size. In my defense as I type this i am looking at an unopened bottle of Coke and I really don't want it.Tomorrow is another day,,and I have got to have another talk with my husband,he meant well.Hope everybody can get some sleep.
(3)

Timbuktu, man, I feel ya! I swear, that ever since my daughter got engaged in October, I've put on about 10#'s! I don't get it, as I've cut out the evening ice cream, and even started walking as much as my crummy knees can handle. I swear it's the stress of caregiving! I'm hoping that now we have initiated home health care, that some of my stress will diminish, and my weight will at least normalize, and I can begin to diet effectively! Good luck with your weight loss goals!
(1)

I support you Timbuktu!
(0)

Looking for diet support again. I have hit a new "low" am now 256lbs. the biggest I have ever been in my life. Taking mother to chemo,so many other problems going on with her , going to be a stressful day. Will check in at 8PM central time for an update and any encourgagement I can get. Love you all.!
(2)

I've been yo-yo dieting for years now, and there's always something that derails my progress. I was doing well until I moved in with Mom, and her habit of eating high-carb foods totally knocked me off track, because it was too hard to resist the foods I loved and grew up with - and had to make for her to eat, while trying to stay true to my low-carb eating plan. Plus, I had started my own home-based business 2 years before, so the sedentary work was already giving me issues with weight gain. Now, fast forward a few years, and I'm heavier than I've ever been - and hating it. The health issues are starting to crop up, and I know they're related to my weight. I've gone back to low-carbing once again, because it's the only thing that's ever really worked for me. - so I'm on board with the diet support here!

Any room for recipes on here, do you think? I'm sure they won't let us post Pinterest links, but maybe we can share our Pinterest user names, so people can follow each other there, and share recipes that way? I have a ton of low-carb recipes on there.
(0)

Lost 6# just by juicing celery every morning on an empty stomach. Still ate as much as I wanted. Yay!
(2)

Oh man. I haven't done myself ANY favors this month. And I still have the fudge to make! Which I will cause my 6 year old step daughter is over and she has been begging to make stuff. My co-worker and I are going to do the annual diet AFTER New Year's Day. I'll report in again once that's rolling :-) Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas.
(0)

Coming down off 10 days of Being My Own Worst Enemy. Shortly after T-giving, there were some stressful power-shifts at my workplace. And I certainly cannot be 100% honest about my feelings there! No way, no how. As I like to say, I need my paycheck more than I need my opinion.

So...... I ate and moped and fretted my way through. All the while putting on my brave face and saying the right words as needed. And seeking my reassurance from starch and sugar. Exercise? Bwah! Too "busy" ruminating. Etc etc.

New leaf today. At the very least, determined to shut down the crazy eating. Back on the sensible plan. Our holiday potluck is Thursday.....I'll budget a splurge there.

Have a good week, everyone! Let's start strong and stay strong. :-)
(2)

Reading the popular theories on Leptin, a needed hormone to be able to drop the weight. Otherwise, when dieting, these hormone levels drop, and the body responds by holding onto the weight! One theory purports that to increase Leptin hormone levels, a high carbohydrate or dessert is needed once per week. Look it up to confirm that I got this correct, and that the fads grehlin and leptin are not just a lot of hooey.
I know that after having my dessert (trifle), I felt great and not so deprived.
That was an improvement just not feeling deprived.
(2)

Well , I totally fell off the wagong the last couple of weeks, bouncing between 245 and 239, just trying to increase my walking.Gotta make it thru the holidays.
(2)

If I knew I had to type it down for all to see I would certainly change my intake! LOL - great idea! I too lost ground over Thanksgiving. Ironically we have SOME in-home care now, but not enough. They come in and are fresh and full of energy and make my Mom so happy - which is great. But it also makes my exhausted husband and me feel like horrible caregivers. Mom doesn't love us that much either now that she's experienced brighter days. It's definitely caused me to sink even deeper into the comfort calories. We'll have the help we need by Christmas, I consider it our greatest gift. I wish you all could have that gift. Here's to all you do. Stay positive :-)
(0)

Hey, Timbuktu, put some parsley on your plate. Wouldn't it be great if the weight is only water retention? Would it help if anyone listed simply what they ate in one day?
(1)

It was much fun going to the favorite recipes page, but of course my body has suffered. If I even think about dieting, my mind goes in the opposite direction and so does my weight. So, I am going to finish out December eating what makes me ultimately feel better physically, when I eat it and the next day too. That means steamed vegetables and great tasting salads. Not just a salad for salads sake, but a really great salad. Pkg. Salads with all the fixins. I will try.
(0)

The first year so far was the worst. I still can't believe how much weight I packed on in 3 yrs. So Suzie , vent away.
(1)

Suzie, I remember the first year caregiving. It was the hardest year. It took me a long time to adjust. I remember being mad and nutty a lot.
(1)

You girls are inspirational. I only have my dad for 8 months now and I feel nuts and whiney. You gals have stuck with your parent much longer her than I. Your comments are so candid that they free me to say what I am really feeling and thinking. We really are not alone and that is so comforting. Thanks!!
(1)

Back on the plan, everyone! Let's all make good choices and have a good week. :-)
(1)

Well, feel like I got run over by the Macy's Day parade. Weight back up to 245lbs. I ate so much sodium. But I kinda knew this would happen. Back to it this morning.
(1)

Would love to have a diet buddy/group.However,at least for today, it is a diet free holiday but back to it tomorrow morning. Until then I am going to do some guilt free damage to some food.
(1)

I love this idea of sharing about this topic! I keep gaining weight but perhaps we could do it together and have some success. Thoughts to follow. Happy Turkey Day everyone!!!
(2)

Well, I am taking a food holiday today and tomorrow. Back to it on Friday.Everybody have a good holiday, be good to yourself, you have earned it.
(4)

Timbuktu, I couldn't agree more. This site is more helpful than any resource I've come across. Hang in there :-)
(0)

Gonna have to push myself. Didn't walk today, but the victory I had was I didn't mentally beat myself up over it. I watched funny stuff on Netflix,walked around the yard with the dogs,did stay on my diet, didn't do a lick of housework except what I have to do for Mumsy which I now at present have streamlined only because I stood my ground on some issues with her. I am determined not to let her kill me. I worked to long and under stressful conditions for this "old bat" to put me under the ground.It has also taken the help of a therapist to work thru some stuff, wish I had seen one sooner.I am lucky that my insurance helps pay for therapy. But some of the best therapy I have had has been on this site. Just to know I am not alone. So many stories on here are my story. I may be an only child but not when I am on this site.
(2)

Timbuktu, By the way I love your moniker!! I think you are doing great! I have no reason not to lose, except I eat too much and don't feel like working at a diet. If you can stick to that, you are way ahead Then whatever exercise you get, just moving and caring for your home and for Mom is a bonus. That is why you actually lose when you get away and go for a walk or run or whatever. Do take care of yourself, The 'get up and go" just leaves and never tells us why!! I will push myself, if you will and we will get through this! ((Hugs))
(1)

Well I guess maybe I have a little holiday depression. I only put up a tree the 1st Christmas mother was here and just was to exhausted mentally/physically to do it again.I have had 2 back surgeries since she moved in. Also my Lexapro was increased about 3 weeks ago. That could be the culprit for my lethargy. Don't feel depressed just no " get up and go".Maybe I am a little to relaxed. I have noticed that I don't feel like the top of my head is coming off when I hear her voice. I am like Pavlov's dog around her. Her voice,smell, just the sound of her moving around makes my stomach clench,just like when I was a kid.But I am determined about losing this weight. Although I haven't exercised in several days I have stayed on my diet and I am hanging on to that.
(0)

timbuktu, doctor scales always seem to weigh 3 lbs more than home scales. That is almost universal from what I've seen.

I remember my 3-year mark with caregiving. My father died a few months earlier and Christmas was coming up. Now I am on my 6-year mark and the holidays are here again. Sometimes people say I sound a bit depressed. Well, doh. :-)

I hope we can pick each other up this holiday season. What we are doing is important. And what we do for ourselves is even more important, don't you think? I hope we all have the best holiday season ever.
(0)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter