Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Maybe it is a control issue. When your mind and body are failing one clings to control. I allow my Dad full control. When I realized my job was to facilitate his decisions, not make them, things got easy. I suggest in the form of a question. Then accept his answer. He will think about it for awhile, and often, not always, he will come around to my way of thinking. I do exactly what he wants, and he trusts me. Sometimes you just have to step back, and see the big picture.
(0)

kathyt1, that was a great answer, to facilitate his decisions, not make them. I have to remember that. My mom says "I'm not a child" or "I'm not stupid". I try to help her and I guess that sometimes I do make the decisions for her. It's been hard but I've been allowing her to do more these past few days and it has helped her to feel more in control of her life. Thanks to this site I have learned that.
(0)

Trust me, it would not be easier with siblings. It would be much more difficult. I have a sib that is just not nice at all.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter