Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Scared of the future? You bet I am! I am 61 years old, a widow and caring for my 87 year old mother in her home. She requires constant care and I cannot seek employment for fear that her dementia could cause her to fall or forget to turn off the stove. Like all of the other caregivers here, we ourselves are not young anymore, and it is frightening to think about starting over again when your loved one passes away. Reassessing the skills we once had and a bold step of faith is required for this extremely tough challenge particularly in our shrinking economy. In my situation, I am equally worried about where I am going to live as my mother took out a Reverse Mortgage on her home 5 years ago. After researching the net and talking to mortgage counselors, my only option would be to pay the bank back in full (like $268,000.00) and who in the world has this kind of money? I try to think of ways to make income from home but know there are many scams out there trying to suck me in to lose what little money I have. Both my mother and I have no assets and tho I am not on the deed of her home, the most viable option I have is to try and sell the home As Is, and pray for the best. At least this will buy me 4-12 months to figure out what I am going to do. The best way I handle all of this fear and anxiety is by attending church and praying, trusting that God will provide for me since I have followed his commandment of taking care of my parent. God's promises have never failed me or my mother as His protection for us is amazing. Even though I stay up at night and cry with worry and fear, I know when the time comes, God will give me the wisdom I need to carry out what needs to be done. So have faith, that God will meet your need to return to work....just begin today to ask Him to guide you and research your options. Good luck to all of us.
(1)

((((lefaucon)))) You are young. I am 75 and wondering about getting some part time work - more to get out with more people than anything else. I am also in a serious relationship with a man and it scares me silly to think of making a committment.again. Big changes are difficult, and more so when we have some "history" behind us..However experience does teach us some things. You have lots of skills. I taught at a college, and we loved the middle aged women. They had such wonderful work ethics. Research shows that the "older" mind may not be able to do somethings as quickly, but it does not make a practical difference, and the older person has other things they do better. My dear, nothing wrong with your brain., I love what you described about your hair. About 5 years ago I reinvented my appearance , and got more attention than I had in years - hence the sig other now. You have a whole new life ahead of you, burgundy hi-lites new make up, and more. Go for it girl! This is an adventure! (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
(2)

57 is not too old if you have (or regain) your health. I know a 50 plus lady who went back for a masters and has a new teaching career, and since I was only 40 something at the time I met her (was one of her students) I didn't appreciate what a challenge that actually was when she mentioned it in passing. She was a very good teacher so none of us thought the age was a big deal, and didn't really appreciate what she had to overcome. Learning IS slower when you're fifty plus but believe me it can still happen. I can speak a little Spanish now, enough to get started with a patient before the interpreter arrives, and I'm having to learn genomics which is one steep learning curve. Be patient with yourself and allow more time and more repetitions for that poor aging brain and you can still acheive your goals.

What's the difference between intelligence and wisdom? About 40 years. (You have experience and maturity the 20 somethings lack.) You may be down on yourself (I'm guessing from the "I wouldn't hire me" comment) or even depressed enough/still recovering enough that a grief group or counselor if there is anything free or affordable would be good.

Take care of yourself physically too, it will make a big difference - pick any kind of exercise you like and can do, start where you are, and go on from there...don't even worry if you can't do a 15 minute mile to start with, just check with yoru doc and see if you can get started swimming, doing Tai Chi, walking any pace, any distance if that's the case.

Let us know what you decide to be when you grow up (as my son still asks me sometimes :-), and how it all goes, OK?
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter