Follow

There's this sign that hangs on my MIL's kitchen wall. It's one of those items that's been hanging around for so long it's become part of the scenery.... y'know...like the sticky note tacked up next to the computer reminding you the VISA bill is due on the 15th of the month....it's right there in front of you every day but you never really SEE it any more? I must have looked at that sign a zillion times. But tonight as I was standing at her stove cooking her supper I glanced up at it and suddenly it was like I was seeing it for the first time. The universe..shifted..ever so slightly...and I knew I'd just had an epiphany.
I glanced over at MIL, sitting at the table in her wheelchair with her back to me, leaning slightly to the left (which she does when she's tired), working on her word search puzzle (and probably needing her Depend changed by now)...then down at the pork chop sizzling in the frying pan...then back over at MIL...then back up at the sign. I actually used to think it was kinda quirky/funny when my own kids were little.
Now? All I could do was stare at it, dumbstruck by the sheer irony of it. That sign had not been some cutesy, kitschy little witticism....it had been a portent!

The sign reads:
"Avenge yourself. Live long enough to be a problem to your children."

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
hahaha - that's pretty funny, yaya - and quite ironic. Maybe you should point to the sign and tell your MIL "mission accomplished, huh?" lol!!! ;)
(1)

Cap'n, you're right about the humor...wry indeed. As for the burden, it's greater than some but not nearly as great as a lot of folks'. I have a lot to be grateful for, and I try to remind myself of that every day...every day...every day ;)

Boni - I just finished a big bowl of ice cream and it was GREAT....and I can hear you laughing ;D Thnx sweetie ((hugs))!!
(0)

If you're not laughing you might cry. If you start crying you may never stop. I think I know you YaYa......you would SO rather laugh. I'm here.....laughing with you girl.
(1)

ROFLACGU :D
(0)

if the sign was meant to be humor, it was sure some wry humor. sounds like your caregiver burden is huge yaya. i wish you both the best.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter