Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
Hi Linda,
You are not alone.
I have a few suggestions not sure if they would work for you but here goes.
This may be a little labor intensive, but a geriatric manager gave me this suggestion.
Find someone through a local home health company who YOU interview first.
It may be someone who your father can relate to (in my situation the geriatric manager suggested a mature polish woman, since both of my parents and relatives were from Poland and there was a more trusting attitude for someone of their own ethnic backround.

Have the helper come to YOUR house to clean and help with some meal preparation and invite your father over to visit while she is there.

Let your father visit with her while you are busy in another area of the house so they establish a raport.
After 3-4 times of this, suggest that she now help him out as well, with some cooking and cleaning.

Dont know if it will help but it might.

ps as far as cooking goes, I have found a Crock Pot to be my best friend lately.
You put everything in one pot, with a little broth or fluid and at the end of the day
you have a fully cooked meal, meat, potatoes veggies etc.

Also, there is a company called Phillips which manufactures a great
medic alert pendant and also a medication dispenser in case you can no
longer administer his medications.
(9)

Linda, I believe it's time you took back control, provided you ever had it in the first place that is. Your father needs you more than you need him, so you have the power to do what is right in your eyes. I don't care if he doesn't want anyone else in his life, too bad. You are sacrificing your husband during this, and that isn't right. Your first priority BEFORE your father, is your hubby. So you don't have kids, and can't cook, no big deal. Not every woman is cut out to be a domestic diva, so forget that part. Where is your husband in all of this? Have you put him so far back on the burner that he has NO say? How does that make him feel I wonder. No, it's time to get your priorities straight, and get the help you need. And tell your dad, that the first time he gets into an accident when he shouldn't be driving, his insurance will drop him and he'll probably get sued. Because it will most likely be HIS fault, and he knows it. Take back the control that you gave up. Ask your husband for help if you don't have the backbone to do it. I bet HE does. ♥
(8)

Linda, you are not alone in feeling frightened. Most days I go through the day not knowing what to do. There is no cure for old age, so we try to patch things up so that each day is tolerable. I am not domestic, either, so the chores are irritating to me. I don't know why many elders don't want outside help to come in. I guess they don't want to deal with the human interaction it would take.

I know you are going to have to wrestle those car keys away from him. I worry that he could be putting other people's life at risk if he is unable to drive well. Perhaps that would be a good excuse to bring in someone else. There are a lot of wonderful caregivers out there that have much experience working with the elderly. Finding a good one to drive your father places and provide companionship sounds ideal to me. Maybe you could check with people at your local senior center to see if they could recommend a good caregiver. It would take so much of the burden off you and your father wouldn't need to drive.
(7)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter