Follow

Often caregivers vow not to put loved ones in a "home." They promise Grampy, "I'll keep you at home forever," and then everyone finds out the hard way that it isn't possible. Caregiving at home exhausts a caregiver's finances, destroys their family and marriage, and impacts their mental health. They have no idea that care facilities today provide programs to keep residents as happy and healthy as possible; these places have trained professionals to take care of our loved ones better than we can at home. I know people who love their assisted living places! Disclaimer: I'm a home caregiver for my husband. I have no connection with any care facility or their employees.

This thread is for raising consciousness that there are great care facilities throughout the US. The ones that I'm posting are where my friends and relatives have thrived. Please post ones that you know about.

Find Care & Housing
Charlotte, NC: https://www.harborchase.com/harborchase-rock-hill/

and

Brookdale Carriage Club Providence
5800 Old Providence Rd., Charlotte, NC 
980-666-6898
(1)

Any suggestions in or around Charlotte?
(0)

Oh, my.

The facility I raved about is the one the siblings picked to put their mom in.

Huh. I guess maybe they don't completely tune me out.

Actually, she's been accepted and her cog eval has been done, but she was supposed to move in today and that's not happening. Everyday she's NOT there is another day in paradise for all of us (I'm being heavily sarcastic here).
(2)

I'd love to hear about any in the Denver area.
(0)

We have a GORGEOUS facility about a half mile from my home. I mean--I went there to a program honoring my vocal coach and choir director--and the place was like the nicest hotel I'd ever seen. My BF was with me, and we were encouraged to tour the facilities, and since we both had elderly parents at the time--we did. And every floor was clean, bright, lovely.

It's also hellaciously expensive, but my kids would happily pay the $12K+ a month that it costs--they'd pay it out of their pockets! (They won't have to).

My vocal coach had Alz. but the care there kept him content and happy. He retained the ability to play the piano to the end of his life, and he donated his personal grand piano to the home. It sits in the grand entryway and he used to play for hours on end, much to the delight of the residents.

Not to say I haven't seen some truly ratty places that I wouldn't want a sick dog to live in. We had one in our old neighborhood that 'gave up' and did a massive ER dump of all the residents, gutted the place of anything sellable and left the state. Now it sits, open to homeless folks and ridden with vermin.
(2)

Alva,

Who knows? Your guess is as good as mine. Glad you reported it though.
(1)

I am reporting this comment of mine here so admins can take a look. I am wondering if we have fallen down a rabbit hole again?
This thread now says it was created by "anonymous". I thought, oh, oh, Fawnby's in trouble, but when I was on the threads her name and page are out there and look fine?

Any input, anyone?
Doesn't have the numbers by it that most anonymous threads do when there's a problem.
(1)

Great post, Fawnby.

So many people have preconceived ideas.

You really do need to do research on what is available.

I also agree with other posters that some are great and others are in need of improvement.
(2)

Good, Mediocre and Bad like has been mentioned, you can add competitive if you're in NE OH
(2)

There's good ones and bad ones. The thing is to search for a good one.
Whether it's Assisted living, memory care or skilled nursing. Tour different ones.
(2)

Maybe folks can also provide rough dates? In recent years private equity has been buying up a lot of these places and gutting them.
(0)

There are exceptionally good facilities but there are also exceptionally bad ones... most lie somewhere in the middle. IMO it's not all that great if it's not a place you would personally be willing to move into tomorrow.
(I know a person who is younger but whose physical needs are now probably beyond assisted living level of care without it being prohibitively expensive. The thought of being in a nursing home - even a very good one - at a young age and living there for the rest of my days would have me seriously considering MAID)
(6)

I too am aware of at least ONE marvelous facility in So Cal, where my brother was. I don't feel free to be an advertisement for them on AC, which runs its own ads it vetted, but surely WOULD supply info to those in the Palm Springs area of California about my own and my brother's experience. They were amazing to him. I will be forever grateful to them.

Is everything perfect out there? Nope. There is no perfection in health care of ANY kind ANYWHERE. And there's very little perfection in aging needs. But I couldn't agree more with you, Fawnby.

I will only add that to bet good care out of the Military Industial Complex require money. We are a consumer driven economy that survives supplying services to one another for cash. That means a lifetime of saving AND good luck, imho. Because aging care, the best of it, is very expensive. And that is where I think so many of our OPs are up the creek without a paddle. Or without cash. Because life doesn't work out for all, and good help, good facilities become rare as hen's teeth when there is no money.

I often tease those OPs who come to us complaining that they reached out for info and now their phone is ringing non-stop. I tell them to whisper the magic word "Medicaid" and they will never hear from anyone again. Funny-NOT funny, I guess.
(4)

"But I can't afford it." That's what my friend's mom said. After she sold her home, she could. It's sometimes important to get over the mindset that the family "deserves" to inherit mom's house. Mom "deserves" to profit from her years of home ownership, which pays for her elder care. Adult children "deserve" to be free of caregiving the elderly, which causes more problems in their lives than they ever imagined.
(9)

My mother lived in this one for 5 years. She loved it. https://www.brookdale.com/en/communities/brookdale-palm-beach-gardens.html
(4)

In Georgetown, TX https://thedelaneyseniorliving.com/
Start out in independent living, go into assisted living when you need it, progress to memory care.
(0)

In Hartsville, SC. https://navionseniorsolutions.com/communities/the-legacy-of-hartsville/
You can go from assisted living into memory care in the same place.
(0)

In Florence, SC. The Manor
https://www.facebook.com/themanorseniorliving/
My friends lived here and loved it.
(0)

In Georgetown, TX. https://www.facebook.com/TiffinHouse/
(0)

Check out the fun times these folks are having. A relative of mine lives there. Palm Beach Gardens, FL.
https://www.facebook.com/HarborChasePalmBeachGardens/photos/?paipv=0&eav=AfZo09jC_6VyixFJdeV4Ygo8o_KfFBR-U82f3ClttUsKnbGNwrvMqJ4vXIgk-W0pQr0&_rdr
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter