Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Good point jacobsonbob.
(2)

It's difficult. I think one of the other responders was correct that your expectations may be too high. Everyone in AL is different about what they are capable of doing, and what they will like, people have good and bad days, and peoples' abilities can decline over time. Pet therapy is universally liked, but usually the pets come around for a half hour or so and then they are gone. Art therapy will have mixed results. Music therapy - when someone comes to play guitar or piano or other instruments is usually liked. Some will sing along, some won't. I've seen mixed results with yoga or other exercise. Showing films can be a diversion, but it's difficult to find the right kind of films. You don't want to have violence or depressing topics. Simple stories and relationships are best. Reading stories to the group or even magazine articles can also be a diversion, but it's difficult to find the right stories.
(1)

Arts & Crafts
Red Hat Clubs for the women
Current Event Groups
Men's Clubs
Games, cards are popular
Pet Therapy

Have the home your loved one is in contact NCCAP (National Certification Council for Activity Professionals). This group certifies activity directors and is a great resource for ideas.
(1)

jacobsonbob: You're right! And why? They are tired.
(1)

Lots of advice, and good, yet Jasmina hit the nail on the head; get yourself involved.

There are too few "hands on deck" for the number of different people at different levels to care for. And the staff there have "other duties" to do. One or two activities directors can't do it all by themselves.

Kids no, but maybe high school students having to earn volunteer hours. Church youth groups?

I went and the staff loved me. So grateful a loved one showed up to be there and help. Not looking for acknowledgement, just saying.
(3)

How can we make the list an item on the 'care topics' site here? Otherwise all these ideas will be lost!
(3)

Fidget quilts!! On Amazon and Etsy.
(2)

It would be useful!!!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter