Follow
Find Care & Housing
One needs to ask the Aide if she/he would be comfortable driving the car. If she hesitates, that's a good sign, as that means she is only comfortable driving her own vehicle. Less of a risk.

I remember when I had to use my parents sedan... yes, it was "my father's Oldsmobile". I felt like I was driving a dining room table down the road, plus the car was built for someone 6 foot tall, not for someone much shorter. I couldn't adjust the side mirrors, and the seat-belt crossed my throat. I was white knuckling it and in sheer panic. Poor Dad had to really struggle to get up and out of the car.

When it was only my Dad going to an appointment, Dad rather ride in my Jeep as it was easier to get in and out, and it had that truck feel which he liked :)
(0)

Alva's right!

I was able to drive my client's car, and she carried extra insurance so I could. Sometimes I used my own car, which of course was insured. And I was paid a certain amount for mileage.

This was something that the agency I worked for took care of documenting. I had to provide proof of insurance to them and mt clients had to provide proof of their coverage on their mom's car.
(0)

Brandee, this OP posted the same thing in "questions" with more info. It really does not matter that their car insurance says its OK, the aide's employer does not want their employee to drive clients car.

https://www.agingcare.com/questions/can-an-aide-drive-parents-for-errands-in-parents-car-insurance-said-shes-insured-agency-said-its-a-l-485833.htm
(0)

Yes but we had workers comp on our direct pay caregivers.
(0)

This was posted in questions but does not include that the Agency has said their employee cannot drive a clients car because of liability on their part. The Agency rules here. It does not matter what the insurance company says, the aid's employer says NO.

Also, if the aide is a licensed driver, she may need to be covered by her own insurance saying she is covered to drive another persons car.
(0)

Not if hired through agency that says no.
Not if your insurance doesn't cover it.
And it is a risk in any circumstances, so if you self hire an aid and wish to allow that person to drive your Dad's car be certain you have one heck of a huge umbrella policy.
Being sued isn't a matter of can they win or not.
It's a matter of being able to afford attorneys that charge 700.00 an hour.
You cannot have any idea of the driving history of such an aid, and you will be responsible to have known.
Be certain this aid isn't hired through an agency first of all.
Secondly, speak with your insurance company about rules and risk and coverage.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter