Calling all POA's out there!

Follow

My advice to reduce the stress of bill paying for your elder. Get all the $$ out of the bank that sounds like SMELLS BARGO.

They are making my life a living h*ll. If I live long enough I am taking every last cent out of there as soon as possible. I have provided them with a signed, notarized copy of POA, Have shown them the real ORIGINAL POA, (would not let them keep it...much to their dismay....I am sure they would have lost it) My father has been brought in, in person twice, my name is on a signature card, written on the statement. Outside of leaving a DNA sample, I am at a loss.

This is just the limit. Anyone else get treated like garbage with this bank?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
Update: Mission accomplished with only one more copy of POA sent in and about 10 more phone calls. All $ transferred electronically with no early withdrawal fee. (I also was persistant until I found a sympathetic live person to chat with!) Happy ending and have been able to replenish the care account. Thanks to all for your input. And I am still thinking on that spot to bury the mayonaise jar......
(1)

My mom has her accounts at the bank OP wrote about as do I. I took my mom the bank day after I got POA. We met with her Financial Advisor, signed papers, got them notarized. I've been lucky, I haven't had any trouble with banking. When my moms house sold, I took the check to the bank, they deposited it with just the account number on the back.
(1)

My mother had a friend who's parents put their money into gold bars - and yes, they kept them buried in the backyard.
(1)

Rumour had it that my uncle used to have money hidden away around his property in mason jars. Maybe some day it will be recovered by archaeologists...
You'd better make sure to draw a map!
(2)

Mincemeat - I'd go for the mayonaise jar. In opening the Folgers can you had to break the seal and the integrity of a re-seal would be compromised. With the mayonaise jar there is a fitted lid that when tightly screwed on should make a proper seal.
(0)

And yes send me to help, I am a big fan of small town banks and credit unions. I am greatful for all the advice.

I think many of "the greatest generation" lived through the times when most people lost all their savings from bank closure in the great depression. Thus being distrustful of small banks and impressed with the "permanence" of the huge national banks. (Never mind that FDIC insures all.)

Right now I am wondering if the Folger's can or the mayonaise jar will hold up better in my back yard.
(1)

Thanks all for your comments. I am faxing the POA ( again ) to the broker I tracked down through all the quagmire and believe me I am going to ask some questions something along the lines of ..... why sell an annuity that matures at 100 when each of us has a 0.0002 percent chance of living that long???

Thank you for letting me vent. My deceased mother was a great bookkeeper and record keeper. As my father took over and was very secretive...he made some really bad decisions financially. Shame on life insurance brokers and investment brokers that take advantage! Just like kids under 19 need someone to set things up at the bank, maybe anyone over 75 should have to have someone with them so they do not get taken.

I will keep you posted.
(1)

RainMom, no, I was just curious. We had to deal with a similar situation sometime ago. When Mom died, we cashed in the annuity, and that was that. But I was still irked that the broker took advantage of an old couple in their 80's. I wish I had thought at the time to take action against her.
(1)

That is a really good idea Sendmetohelp!
(1)

I have operated as my cousin's DPOA for over a year now. It's a small bank, but still. Dealing with them took an act of Congress. I had to complete lots of forms from their office, produce my document and ID of course. I had to do this with each branch I dealt with.

Every time I go into her bank I have to sign a notarized affidavit! They have to bring the supervisor over and get all official. I get where they are coming from. I know they are only trying to protect my cousin's money. I just find it rather amusing due to the fact that they all know me, we are dealing with small figures and they already have the proper documents on file. It's odd.
(0)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions