Follow

My family member is there and the place looks very nice. The reason for my comment here is that a staff person told me that management there expects staff to give 70% care to the residents. I am not sure how that is calculated, but the last time I checked with other family members, 100% of the bill was paid. Another strange comment was that the Director of Nursing is not listed as part of the management team on their web site and the reason for that is because she is a convicted felon. These are serious concerns from the people I know and trust the most there - the staff. I will be researching these remarks and will forward info to this post as I can. My older family member is important to me and is loved by our family so safety and honesty are big issues.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I think I would be asking the administration if they're aware of this and what they're doing to protect the residents. I'd ask tomorrow. I'm surprised someone with a conviction record of stealing would be put in a position of leadership.
(2)

The Director of Nursing does have a record on nursys. website. The record says her offense was stealing - class c felony. The info is public info on the site.
(0)

Concerned, I know you mean well, and that you like the staff and want to trust them. But my experience in working in organizations, often as part of the "management team" is that sometimes the staff doesn't "get" the big picture. They will make assumptions, tell themselves and others things based on those assumptions and are just generally not great sources of god information.

I once had an employee tell a client that one of our management team was the daughter of a developer who was trying to destroy our organization. They had similar, but not identical, last names. This all made perfect sense to him. "She must have changed it".

If you have concerns about your elder's care, talk to the social worker. But remember, if you're not the "point person" in the family, and if there is not a HIPAA form on file for you, they may not have much to say.
(2)

Thank you for everyone's input. I've never been on a site like this before so this is all new to me. I will continue to try to figure this out and will keep you posted with news when it becomes available.
(0)

It also occurred to me that the fact she's not listed as a member of the management team might be another reason entirely: she might be a contract employee, on a temporary basis pending hiring of someone permanently. Or she might be a contract employee because it's a better financial and time commitment arrangement for her. And it might be financially advantageous for the facility to have a contract employee.
(0)

If she was a felon like Martha Stewart, that would be a whole different story. A DON who might have been involved in something insider trading wouldn't I would think be a risk to patients, unless she dips into their money to play the market.

You're right, Jessie, it really depends on the crime. More information needs to be obtained on this issue, as well as validation of the reports by the staff.
(0)

I just checked a bit on their ratings. They are rated between 4 and 5 out of 5 stars on three different rating pages. I am used to seeing places averaging a 3 in my area, so the St. Charles facility sounds very good to me.

And so what if they hire a felon... unless the crime was an irresistible urge to hurt and kill people. I doubt that.
(1)

Very good point, Jessie. My afterthought and second post reflected a belated concern as well. We don't know anything about this woman or whether or not the charges are true, but we do know the name of the facility. It wouldn't be hard to learn the DoN's name. If she didn't have a rap sheet and the charges were false, she has basis to consider a libel suit against the OP.
(2)

This is your first post, so people here know nothing about you. I'm not really comfortable with a facility being slammed by an unknown user in cyberland. We need more official documentation than that.
(4)

Just thinking, though....maybe the staff seems to have real insight into the DON's background, but I certainly wouldn't make any accusations without finding out the truth. Maybe some of the staff doesn't like her and are being nasty without realizing what a vicious falsehood that could be.
(1)

Ask the local police if they can provide information on the nature of the DON's conviction, and if they can't, how you can find out what the charge was. If it was fraud or something like that, my red flags would be flying highly and sounding warnings.

I also think you're entitled to ask the Administrator about this issue.
(1)

If you are concerned about this facility there is a reporting mechanism in my state through the State Health Department. Also you could check with the Agency on Aging and request a visit from their staff. Medicare also has a site to report strange goings on.

Also in my state a felon is not able to obtain the necessary licensing to be listed as part of a care team. Perhaps that is why DN is not listed? There is very good reason for that requirement. Too many of the elderly are too vulnerable.
(2)

As for the DON being a convicted felon, I have to assume he/she did their time, were rehabilitated and and have gone on to lead a productive life. And there are all kinds of crimes that are felonies that do not include violence or behaviors that would put residents at risk.
(3)

It looks to me as though this is a continuing care community, with services from Independent Living to Skilled Nursing Care. If your elder is in Assisted Living, is it possible that the comment meant " we need to encourage elders to do as much as they can for themselves"?
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter