Follow

I am 72 and yesterday my class had our monthly luncheon. There were maybe 20 there. My DH and I are pretty good health wise, just a few aches and pains. DH can still play golf. I went home a little depressed. One of our classmates is in a home dying from Parkinson's complications. Another's wife, who we all know, was sitting there on oxygen. Both walked out with canes. Another classmate had a cane. Another was a redhead in school and now is suffering from gout and skin cancers. Yes, I feel very lucky but I wonder how we will be when 80 hits. 😊

PS, wish they had a "general" category. I do have arthritis in my back.😊

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
To be old is gold.
More wrinkles, mean more life lived.
More scars, bits chopped out, chopped off - shows the strength of survival.

I asked a Doctor what to expect... She said we all get lumpier & uglier 🤪 😭🤣

Met an older lady last week. Someone mentioned back pain.. oh yes she said. Had that, had back surgery. Let me see, that was before the cancer, the other op, the knee, before my husband died, moved house.

She was golden to me. Solid, bright, valuable, strong 😊
(2)

Why would people try to be mice?

Just kidding........I know what you meant JoAnn.

My mom stopped looking in mirrors when she got older. I thought that was kind of sad. While it's hard to look at yourself and see the effects of age it's still you in there and if you don't love yourself, wrinkles and all then who else will.

My mom was always applying lotions and potions and I think I picked up on that cause I've spent too much money on all that stuff. Eventually nothing is going to work and you might as well just accept yourself.
(0)

Gray or white hair would not be the only determinant of why I mentioned older graduates. What a wonderful thing to graduate with a baccalaureate at any age after 65.

I recall that Barb's Mother graduated in her later years. Awesome!
(1)

Thanks all. Sendhelp, I have had white hair since my 60s. It started in my 40s, salt and pepper. In my 50s progressively going to white. I refuse to color it because I refuse to touch it up every month. When I tell people I am 72, they tell me I don't look it. Yes, they may only trying to be mice.😊
(3)

Hi, JoAnn,

Just sending you a hug, and thanking you for all of the wisdom you share here.

You are very much appreciated.
(2)

JoAnn, glad that you and DH are "just" achey.

This whole aging thing is such a roll of the dice, I think. So many of my HS and College classmates have died in the last decade...
(1)

I'd ask your doctor where they think you'll be when 80 hits. They should be able to give you a good idea health wise when reviewing your medical history. Sounds like you and DH got a good roll of genetic dice and are doing well. Good for you, enjoy it! Sure, others have their challenges, but-to feel guilty about your own well being at this point in life, means you are not enjoying your well being.....maybe down the line you'll kick yourself "what was I thinking then?"
(0)

There were gray haired graduates! Very old!
(0)

(((((((JoAnn))))) So glad you and your dh are pretty well. We do have to count our blessings if we age well. I find it takes some work and discipline to take care of myself. At 84 I have only 2 old (in both senses) friends, both of whom are not well.
(1)

Just another example of how we must take care of ourselves(as no one else will) and enjoy our health while it lasts, as none of us know what the future will hold for us.
It's also a good reminder to live each day as if it's our last!
(4)

Standing (at home) as niece graduates just now (online) at Texas University.
Husband's niece.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter