Follow

Reading is one of those things that saves me.

Roz Chast's book, Can't we Talk About Something More Pleasant, was recommended by one of our forum members today. I absolutely love this book, and being in comic format it is an easy read for anyone. The characters in the book, parents and only daughter, are far from perfect! Talk about limitations! You will feel so much better about our human failings.

My other two favorites are as follows:

Bettyville by George Hodgman: Middle aged New York Editor returns to small town Missouri to care for his Alzheimer's stricken Mom, Betty. 2015

Death in Slow Motion, My Mother's Descent into Alzheimer's by Eleanor Cooney. California Author and her Husband attempt to care for her stricken Mom, herself a famous author. 2003.

Both book above have pathos, but more than that they have humor, beauty, joy, dedication, human failings, redemption.

I think I couldn't make it without the joy of books. Tell me your favorites on this subject. I especially love memoirs.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Act Natural. Jennifer Traig. Great read! Historical account on parenting. The good old days weren’t so good!
(1)

Bettyville was excellent. I've thought about that book quite a bit since I've joined this forum.

Another that was helpful was "Cruising Through Caregiving:Reducing the Stress of Caring for Your Loved One" by Jennifer FitzPatrick. Good basic information there on daily practical and legal things.

I'm sitting down tonight to start a book of fiction though- I need the escape from all the "practicality" in my life-"The Dutch House" by Ann Patchett. I've read some of her other works and enjoyed them.

Oh and also- "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to free yourself and your family from a lifetime of clutter".
I'm getting rid of crap now, not leaving a 3 dumpster nightmare for my son like the one that I had to deal with.
(0)

I just started "Motherland" which is a recently released memoir which are also my favorite books. I am finding it interesting and easy to follow.
(1)

I agree, books can help you when you’re going through something. I recently read Holding the Net, Caring for My Mother on the Tightrope of Aging, by Melanie P. Merriman. Ellen Goodman said it’s “a wake up call and a gentle guide through the daily, weekly, monthly, yearly journey of helping the people we love through the difficult process of aging to a soft landing.” The story of two sisters helping their mother in her last years, it really resonated with me.
(0)

There are several books available on this site:

https://www.agingcare.com/products/1152/leisure-recreation

Gawande's book Being Mortal is not necessarily about Alzheimer's but is often recommended by me and others on the forum.
(0)

THANK YOU! I was an English major back in the dark ages, and yes, books can save you. I have written down your recommendation s and will follow up. Have you read You're Not Crazy.....? Addresses the subject well. I also recommend Olive Kitteredge. Happy reading! The one thing an abusive person cannot steal😊
(0)

All the books mentioned here sound like great reads....thanks!
(0)

Thanks. Just ordered both books you mentioned!
(1)

Adding it to my list!
(0)

I very much enjoyed Jan Arden's book Feeding My Mother "Comfort and Laughter in the Kitchen as a Daughter Lives with her Mom's Memory Loss".
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter