The board and care home is refusing to give a refund after resident dies.

Follow

The board & care home is refusing to give a refund (prorated) of Mom's "monthly" rent when she died. Is this common practice...NO refunds?? To me it is elder financial abuse!!

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
Here's one for you. Our parents moved into an Erickson Living property (Ashby Ponds) first living for 2 years in an independent living apartment where they had to buy in at over $500K. Then, they were told (by the Erickson Living doctor, of course!) that they needed to move into the Assisted Living building. They moved out of the independent unit, but their money was not returned. Erickson said that money was held onto to tap into should they run out of money in their checking or investments. Now, due to extreme neglect and abuse, we're moving our mom into another assisted living facility. This Erickson property is telling us that our mom won't receive back the 90% of the independent unit's deposit (as per the contract) for up to 6 to 9 MONTHS!!! (Which is not spelled out in the contract!) This is ridiculous, excessive and basically financial extortion!!!
(0)

Please note that Koufax last posting on this thread was 3 years ago.
(0)

Koufax, My Aunt's contract signed by myself states that a refund is due "in 30 days" upon her death. The nursing facility has not responded to any requests for the over $10,000 that they owe the estate!
(0)

I am going through the same experience with a nursing facility in NC. The contract states that refund is "due within 30 days". It has now been about 4 months and the estate cannot get response from the nursing home!
(0)

Koufax - you are obviously in administration - you have the same tone of disgust. My mom experienced the same issue trying to get a refund and the contract stated she would be due one. The admin would not take calls or return calls. That was until I called and told the person answering the phone that I would be there in person to discuss the admin's refusual to talk to my mom (age 86). The refund check came in the mail the next day. Sick of the lies, and hateful tone. Go haunt another forum.
(0)

Koufax - for your information (which is in dire need) the contract stated the daily rate was payable in advance and refundable based on same criteria. So you need to know the facts before you make statements with such hate that are not factual. You obviously work on the administrative side whose job is to lie, avoid, and denigrate relatives. Shame on you!
(0)

Whatever the contract says is what will be considered your contract. Medicaid will not pay once empty. Private pay will be spelled out in contract. Ask business office for details. At worst, the facility can send a bill to the estate to be paid through probate.
(1)

If u died in the middle of the month are u still under contract for the following month.
(0)

Private pay patients in a nursing home are billed by the day, they stay a day they pay by the day. If they die during the month in which the month was pre-paid, their beneficiary should be entitled to a timely refund of the daily bed rate since they did not utilize the services or the facility for the days beyond death. Time to stop ripping off the elderly and their beneficiaries.
(1)

It wouldn't be so bad if they just charge you to the room is rented but they want 30 days and most of the time that bed to full the next day if I ran a business like that they'd shut me down it'd be against the law
(0)

1 2 3
Related
Questions