Follow
Read More
1 2 3
I've posted it here already many times, but I love the story of a young cub reporter sending Cary Grant a brief message asking his age.

He said "How old Cary Grant".

Mr Grant replied "Old Cary Grant fine. How you?"
(1)

All your life you are faced with choices. You can choose love or you can choose hate..... I choose Love.

Johnny cash

My dad's favorite singer , he played his song on his guitar, bango , fiddle, almost every day
(2)

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.

-Carl Jung
(2)

If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I won’t have to live without you.

-A. A. Milne
(2)

Too bad that all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxis and cutting hair.

- George Burns
(3)

Daughter,

My dad only got an orange for Christmas. One year my uncle got a whistle and he got punished for blowing it! The good old days weren’t always so good.

My dad would always say that God helps those who help themselves. My sarcastic brother would respond with, “Well, then why do I need God?” Daddy would just shake his head and tell him, “God is always there for you, but He wants you to do your best.”

Years later my brother told my dad that God helps people who don’t help themselves. My dad said, “Yes, sometimes He does.” Lord knows that my brother was like a cat with 9 lives. Someone must’ve been looking out for him.

I miss my dad too, daughter. He was a kind soul.
(3)

When greeting a friend who said “good to see you” my dad often replied “I’d rather been seen than viewed”
He also frequently told me “one thing I’ve learned, you come into this world using diapers, and if you live long enough, you leave this world using diapers”
And his all time great—he often related how poor his family was when he was growing up during the Great Depression. He’d say “we were so poor I only got one thing for Christmas, a pair of overalls with a hole cut in the pocket. That way I got something to wear and something to play with”🤭🤗
I sure miss him….
(3)

Sophia talking to Rose (Golden Girls), “Your heart is in the right place but I don’t know where the hell your brain is.
(1)

"I YAM WHAT I YAM, and that's all that I YAM." Popie

Helps me everyday to remember what others think doesn't matter
(1)

A quote:

What can be done with paperwork, can be undone with more paperwork.
Life is too serious to be taken seriously.
(2)

Bumping this up....
(1)

Laurie ,

Thanks for the laugh .
I truly hope you are better soon . 🫂
(2)

My FIL did not allow anything hung on the walls either . He never wants to admit he belongs with these old people or that he needs AL . FIL is going on 90.
(2)

Laurie,

I agree with ITRR. I am sure that your dogs loved double dipping!

I will keep you in my prayers. Laughing is good for the soul. I’m so glad that you had a good laugh.

You made me laugh talking about socks matching. My youngest daughter would not match her socks on purpose! It was some silly trend going on.

It drove my mother nuts because she was a perfectionist and very fashionable even in her older years. I could have cared less if her socks didn’t match! LOL
(2)

Laurie, I pray that your treatment is successful and that The Lord touches you and heals you completely. May HE touch your mom and give her healing, peace and comfort, both of you actually.

I have to say, I bet your dogs didn't argue one bit about double kibble. Mine will try to tell my hubby that they haven't been fed, 5 minutes after I feed them. Sneaky big buggers.

I got a good laugh from your story.
(1)

A friend asked how I was doing. My mom is in memory care and fell and broke her hip. She's in skilled nursing currently and I just finished my infusions for lymphoma. Being a bit overwhelmed and tired it hit me as hilarious! I said "really well; my socks match today, and I fed the dogs twice! Literally tears of laughter. It felt so good for both of us.
(6)

ITRR,

I hadn’t heard the dynamite one. Funny!

Nelson,

So interesting how your dad reacted to the paintings, isn’t it?
(1)

We recently placed my 95 yr old dad into high level assisted living, one day I brought over several paintings and other pieces from home to hang in his new place. I thought that he would really enjoy that. He looked at them and said, “these belong in my home. I don’t live here. Take them home.” He’d been there for 5 months and his condition hasn’t changed. When he was distracted later doing something else, my brother and I hung up all the pieces and made the room look very homey. He’s never said a word.
(3)

Need, my family would say, "He isn't worth the powder to blow him up." Also said often, "If brains were dynamite, he wouldn't be able to blow his nose."
(1)

@Need

My father was definitely a character.
(2)

ITRR,

Have you heard this one from your granny? If my grandma was really upset with someone she would say. “He isn’t worth the powder to blow him to hell!”
(1)

Burnt,

I love so many things that Oscar Wilde said!

Hey, your father sounds like he had spunk! My mom’s dad was that way. I adored my grandfather! He was larger than life to me when I was a kid. The man never stopped. The only time he rested was when he was watching a baseball game, a western or Lawrence Welk.
(1)

'Youth is wasted on the young'.

~Oscar Wilde

'I'm going to die doing it. An old dog can learn plenty from a new trick'.

~BurntCaregiver's father at about the age of 85.
(2)

ITRR,

My grandma and mom said that too! That was a very common expression back then.
(0)

I just wanted to remind everyone that it is time to set your scales back 15# for the holidays!

My granny used to say about lazy people, "she just runs around like a head with her chicken cut off." (For those that have never seen a chicken decapitated, the head is the only part of that chicken that doesn't go berserk.)

i still use this saying when I am overly busy. Not the same context as granny but, reminds me of her every time.
(2)

Way,

I love the green banana quote!
(1)

My brother in law once said he wanted to live to 100. My father responded with “ I would not want to live to 100, I don’t think I would be able to stand being around myself anymore after 90 or so “.

I once had a neighbor in his upper 90’s who would always say goodbye in this way
“ Maybe we will talk again . At my age I don’t bother to buy green bananas .”
(3)

Lea,

That’s right. 😊.

Thanks for the memories. I saw Chuck Berry at our Jazz Festival here in New Orleans. He was so much fun to watch to see. Everyone was singing along with his music!
(1)

Nhwm, a lot of our parents used that phrase, Too Pooped To Pop. It is a Chuck Berry song released in 1960:

Too Pooped to Pop
Lyrics

Casey is an old man who wants to be a teen
He goes to all the dances, and they call him cha-cha King
He cha-chas when the band is playin' rock 'n' roll
He tries to keep in time, but the beat leaves him cold

Because he's too pooped to pop, is too old-school
Hips gettin' weaker when he tries to do this stroll
And every time his feet get to go in one way
Here comes a new dance, and it's goin' to stray
Chicks told Casey, "You better move man"
This is only a one-night stand
Casey wasn't in time, but he was dancin' awhile
'Til a cramp caught his leg and he had to change his style

Casey finally learned to do the hoochie koo
This might have been fine back in '22
Now, I'm gonna give you fellows just a little tip
If you wanna keep your girl, you'll better get hip

Or you'll be too pooped to pop, too old-school
You hips are gettin' weaker when you'll try to do the stroll
And every time your feet gettin' to go in one way
Here comes a new dance and you'll be left to stray.

You can see him sing it on a YouTube video.
(1)

Oh Bounce, don’t encourage me. I got a million of ‘em.

My husband’s fav: One afternoon my mother came over, dramatically dragging herself along, using a mop for support. She wanted us to see how weak she’d become. She said she was so weak she couldn’t even make it the few feet over to her walking sticks. But she managed to walk down her porch stairs and to our house (we were neighbours) to put on the display. Then a friendly neighbour drove up, and she was miraculously cured, scampering off to chat.
(6)

1 2 3
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter