Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Llama,

I don’t know. I think other pastors view this guy as nuts! His attitude is sort of arrogant. It’s also rather silly because his whole argument is, he doesn’t want others to tell him that he can’t pray.

No one is telling him that he can’t pray. We don’t want him spreading the virus any further in our state. We are already a hot spot. He is upsetting people in our state. My daughter lives in Baton Rouge. That’s where her university is, LSU.

He needs to stop taking this as a personal attack and comply with our statewide regulations.

We can all pray at home. Sure, it’s nice to gather in church but we are the church. The people are the church. The structure is a building.

Of course, a church is a house of worship and I respect that but if it endangers others to worship in one building together, then we should watch our services on television or online. It’s not complicated. He is taking a simple issue totally out of context. It’s crazy!
(3)

NHWM: Wow. That pastor in the Baton Rouge suburb was very wrong. What didn't he understand? Your Governor HAD to arrest him because if he hadn't, other pastors might have thought that they could do the same thing. My church, too, live streams Sunday services.
(2)

Yoda: Thanks for your valuable input. I appreciate it.
(1)

GardenArtist: Thank you for that. I knew there were more pastors who decided to break the law.
(1)

Hey YODA,
Of course we are listening to you. Here is an online comment to describe what you just said:

How does pikuach nefesh influence Jews today?

Pikuach Nefesh is one of the most important obligations of the Jewish mitzvot . Pikuach Nefesh means that saving a human life should take priority over everything, even if this means breaking some of the laws set out in the Torah . ... For example, on a Saturday, Jews are expected to rest and not carry out any work at all.

Didn't Jesus break all the Jewish laws and save all of us by His work on the cross, and by His resurrection? Ummmm.
(2)

NHWM,

I learned today that there is an old Jewish tradition which says in case of the need of saving a life, religious rituals may be broken. Sounds like that is not what the Jewish people did in the story about the good Samaritan.

Anyhow, as far as I know, the Pentecostal Denominations, United Methodist and others in my state have been advised to stay home and have stayed home. It seems that it is the extreme independents who are out breaking the law.

I think that pastors could figure out a way of leading their parishioners in celebrating Holy Communion. If every church member either got some grape juice or wine plus some bread, they could follow their pastor through the Communion service online and then each person can partake in the safety of their own home. For those who can't get out for groceries, someone could get that for them if they wanted it.

This is likely too radical an idea. Anyhow, Jesus is present with us by the Holy Spirit in the sanctuary and at home when we gather in his name. Something to think about, but no one will listen to me.

Stay safe!
(5)

Llama,

A Pentecostal church about an hour away from New Orleans, in a Baton Rouge suburb has continually disobeyed our governor’s orders not to have services. The story is all over our local news. Our governor is fed up with his behavior.

He was warned and didn’t listen. He got arrested. He’s fanatical. This pastor thinks he’s above the law. He thinks the law is taking away his right to pray. Ridiculous! No one is taking away his right. He needs to do his services online like other churches are doing. He can still pray all he wants to, just not with a large group of people like he’s been doing. He even picks up people with buses.

My church has been doing services online. The archbishop has ruled in our state that none of our Catholic Churches will have services at our churches. We are obeying the laws. We have the choice to watch the Mass on television or stream online.

Many different denominations or non denominational churches are doing online services. No one has to risks spreading this virus to go to church. Pray at home!
(3)

There are at least 2 noncompliant pastors so far:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/pastor-of-tampa-church-that-held-2-large-sunday-services-arrested-jailed/ar-BB11VzzL?ocid=msedgdhp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/louisiana-church-defies-covid-19-order-holds-sunday-services/ar-BB11SYNG?ocid=msedgdhp

The LA "church" has 37 buses which circulate in 5 parishes to pick up and return parishioners.   

Personally, I think the LA guy isn't a truly religious person, but one of those guys who needs a large following for his large ego.    I'm surprised he's not a televangelist - he could get a lot more attention on tv.

The Catholic parish my cousins attend have already sometime ago made alternate arrangements so that people don't have to go out but can still worship.

I'm not a religious person, but I think those who make arrangements for congregations to continue worship are more legitimate and more truly religious than those who challenge governmental orders during a crisis.
(6)

Need: That's correct. The social distancing applies of course to churches. At least one pastor broke the law. Maybe more - haven't watched the news on TV today yet.
(0)

Yoda: There was one pastor who said that he would rather get arrested than to abide by the law put in place. Well, he WAS arrested! He was very wrong to open his church! I agree with you.
(3)

Yoda,

I feel the same. I live in a ‘hot spot’ and police are warning pastors not to have church services. They are putting people themselves and others at risks.

I suppose some people feel they don’t have to listen to the law. It’s ridiculous because nobody is exempt from the law.

People can watch online services. Before structures were built there were home services. So we can pray at home, ‘alone’ but together in spirit.
(3)

I realize this is off subject, but we are all Christians here.

I am passionately upset about these pastors and church members who are putting themselves and others at risk of catching this virus plus harming society's view of churches everywhere by having public worship services.

Churches were closed in 1918 during a major health crisis.
(4)

NeedHelp: You are very welcome!
I am so sorry for your daughter with Chron's. It is a painful disease. Thank you for your kind words regarding my daughter's health. She knows her dietary restrictions, which is zero butter/zero mayo. She does have a strong med on the rare occasion that a restaurant (think before Coronavirus) puts it on her food by error, but then if she has to resort to that medication she just has to go to bed/done for the day. I also have to make sure I avoid trigger foods.💞💞
(1)

Thanks so much, Llama

That helps knowing that you understand. My daughter started off with ulcerative colitis. Full blown Chron’s now. She’s had all kinds of issues and surgeries. Yes, they have to be very careful with what they eat.

I will pray for your daughter. It’s miserable for them. Tough finding the right type of meds. It’s aggravated by stress too. I feel for anyone with Chron’s Disease.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom: I am praying for your daughter. My daughter is borderline Chron's and has to be very careful with her diet/what she eats. If she consumes the wrong foods, she will be in pain. It's tough. I pray that your daughter gets some relief from the ailments she has.💞💞
(1)

GA,

Thanks for your warm thoughts. I appreciate it.

My oldest daughter has several things that she continually struggles with. Chron’s Disease, diabetes, anemic, allergy to certain meds so that complicates what she can take. She had a bad UTI. She was miserable. The stress triggers the Chron’s Disease and so on. She’s home now.

She did not have the virus. They wanted her to be released and quarantined as soon as possible because she is at higher risk due to her diabetes. Diabetes complicates everything too. She’s very thin. I am hoping she can gain a little weight back.
(1)

NHWM, did your daughter have CV?   I wasn't aware of that.  Whatever she had, I hope that her recovery is safe and promising, and that you find a way to communicate that reinforces your family bonds and helps her heal.
(2)

My oldest daughter was released from the hospital today. Please pray that she continues to get better. We can’t visit due to the social distancing and I can’t put myself at risks due to my asthma.

Praying for everyone. Take care and stay safe. 💗.
(3)

We miss you too, Smeshque!☺🙏
(1)

Good Evening Everyone,
I really miss you all. I haven't much energy left at the end of the day to be online like I use to. When I get home from work, there is more work and then by the time everyone gets in bed which is my usual quiet free time, well I am spent. It has been truly difficult balancing work and home life and making sure Mom and AB are happy and ok. I was hoping we would shut down for a couple of weeks. But being in City government we are "essential" but at least we have closed the doors to the public for now. I am wondering how much longer I will try and do all this. I have been praying about it and I feel the Lord keeps me going there for now. It could be for the benefit of a coworker. She and I have a lot of spiritual discussions. I feel the Lord has work for me there and when HE is finished with me there, HE will let me know. My family is ok for the most part, it is me that struggles with this balance. I have even more so neglected my needs and I am feeling it, so I am trying to figure it out. But, please keep me in your prayers, as I do all of you.
AB is going to be having shoulder surgery soon. That is NOT going to be a pleasant situation, i can tell you right now. But the Lord will see us through it.
The new pup is doing well. However, DH is a little upset because he is in puppy stage and we have to train him and he chased the chickens so we had to lock the chickens up for now until we learn the pup. He makes me laugh, and I know he will be a great dog when he matures, but this puppy stage is frustrating my family, so I feel HORRIBLE that I didn't just tell the lady, I can't have a puppy right now. But this too shall pass.
Mom is doing well and is as happy as she always is. It doesn't matter what she is doing she finds joy in it, what a blessing that is. I wish I had that kind of Spirit. I got her a treadmill as she got tired of the exercise bike and so she uses the treadmill instead and we go walking to the woods on my days off. I like the treadmill too, and use it as oft as I can. Other than that, I hope to get back here regularly as soon as I can get this all figured out. I did not realize how much you all became such a part of my life. Like an extended family. Because I truly miss you all. You all have been such a wonderful support and encouragement for me in my caregiving journey and I don't know what I would have done without you, because I just miss you so much.
Please take care of yourselves and I will be back shortly.
Much love and prayers for all of you. Stay safe and know you are loved.

Psalms 16:1 
Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
(2)

Smeshque, congrats on the new member of the family!🐕
(3)

smeshque: That is great about your new pup. Congrats! The corona virus is VERY bad.
(2)

As a believer, who is also a full time caregiver, I realize that God expects me to take care of myself so that I can take care of my dad.
If I neglect me but make sure I give my all to him and the end result is potentially illness for me and nursing home for him.
We honor God when we provide for our LOs the best that we have but we cannot give our best if we are not our best selves which simply means self care is crucial to be the servant He has called us to be💜💛🙏🏾
(4)

Smeshque,

So happy about your new puppy. That’s wonderful!
(2)

New life is such a blessing. What a wonderful gift from your coworker.
(2)

“For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.”
Psalms 100:5

Just stopping by. I hope all of you are doing well. My family and I are, thank the Lord. Be cautious of this virus scare, but do not be afraid, It will be over before we know it.
Thank the Lord Mom prayed earnestly about her trip to CA and the Lord led her not to go. If she would have went she would have been trapped there right now. So Hallelujah she is a woman of great faith. One of my co workers raises Border Collies, and since my Dog Gracie died she had been wanting to give me a puppy. I didn't want one yet. But she was so excited and joyful about doing that, I couldn't refuse. And I really didn't want to take it because they are expensive dogs and for her to just give me one, well I felt kinda bad about that. But Yesterday morning she brought him to work, and DH came and picked him up. So this is his 2nd day with us. Super Smart little guy, still in puppy phase so hes being trained. But he is a good one and he is going to be a fine dog. Cutest thing they are natural herders and he tries herding the other dogs, it is so funny. I have very much become his person. He is adorable and he makes me smile so he is a blessing. He did really well his first night, did not cry until morning but that was just to go potty. So anyway, I guess I will need to get my sheep now, so he can work. :)
We took him to the farm store last night and his first time on a leash he did really well. He is so loveable. So anyway, he has made a good addition and I am thankful for him.

Much love and prayers for you all.
(4)

I have so much gratitude that my husband is able to work from home. Let’s all say a prayer for those who are suffering financially due to this virus.

Many in my city aren’t able to work during this time. We rely on tourism. No tourist so those people are taking a huge hit! Breaks my heart.
(3)

Last announcement on our local news just now is, 392 cases of coronavirus now in Louisiana. 10 deaths. 😞

Majority of cases in New Orleans.

They just announced the number of hospital beds available and ventilators.

I am praying for all of us, everywhere.
(2)

We received a letter from our church today saying that all groups larger than 5 in number were prohibited from gathering until atleast April 1st,2020 due to the virus and that included Congregations and that if we needed anything,we could contact the Pastor,who's working from home.
(5)

Searching online for prudent churches, I found Pastors announcing suspended services and gathering only online since March 12.

Informed by the facts...one church was in Florida, and a different church in Texas.

This is working.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter