Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
smeshque: I love that scripture verse.
(0)

I can Send,and now he is with all the loved one's he lost here on Earth.
I am thankful for the time we had here with him~
(1)

Praise be to God, our Father, the Lord God Almighty, Who has received Billy into His wonderful, Glorious Presence this morning. Absent from the body, present with the Lord, Billy had blessed us all with his time on earth, and will receive his eternal reward.
Can you feel the rejoicing in Heaven from the angels and saints?
(2)

You have to take care of yourself in order to continue taking care of others. Thanking the Lord that we are healthy and capable enough. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
(1)

Hello all I hope all have been well. Staying strong in faith.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28
(1)

smes: Good evening back to you. Thank you!
(0)

v
(0)

Thank you sendhelp for clearing that up. There are lot of things people say and say its in the bible. Like "cleanliness is next to Godliness."
Not in Bible.

Good evening LL
(3)

You did not say that came from a bible verse, Veronica. And I agree with you, because I have had to actually take the first step before the Lord did intervene by helping me further.
But I just want to add, (not as a criticism of you), but that saying is not actually in the bible, although it is often quoted as being from the bible, very popularly by others.

Question: "God helps those who help themselves - is it in the Bible?"

Answer: "God helps those who help themselves" is probably the most often quoted phrase that is not found in the Bible. This saying is usually attributed to Ben Franklin, quoted in Poor Richard's Almanac in 1757. In actuality, it originated from Algernon Sydney in 1698 in an article titled Discourses Concerning Government. Whatever the original source of this saying, the Bible teaches the opposite. God helps the helpless! Isaiah 25:4 declares, "For You have been a defense for the helpless, a defense for the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat..." Romans 5:6 tells us, "For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly."
(3)

I havebn't read the entire thread but will just say "The Lord helps those who help themselves"
(3)

Smeshque: Yes, I thought you would like that surname. Doing okay and hope you are also.
(0)

Here is an interesting article about how God intends for us to take care of ourselves, even assumes that we would have to in order to take care of others (with scripture references).

crosswalk.com/1129402/
(0)

Thank you Ann for your comment. My problem with that is when I make a declaration of a need I have, it gets totally ignored.
(1)

We all sin. We are all learning.
Maybe let others do things for you?
(0)

LL-That's neat her surname is Friend.Fitting.
Hope you are well this day and blessings abounding for you.
(1)

smeshque: Oh, thank you SO much! Would be believe that Nicolette's surname is "Friend?" Yes, all true and that is the epitome of her!
(0)

LL-I will keep Nicolette in my prayers along with you. You must be a super friend to have such a super friend. I too think on that scripture often, I think it is beautiful.

Thanks Magnum for the post
(2)

smeshque: My friend, Nicolette is a beyond-amazing Godly woman! She has an online page for her disabled child and she routinely updates everyone. She never makes an error EVER. GOD bless your mother, smeshque! She has super, Godly powers! Thank you. That is a fav scripture as it's so comforting.
(0)

Here's a related thread on AC.

Have your parents attempted to manipulate you as a caregiver using their own spin on Christian teaching?

https://www.agingcare.com/questions/parents-manipulate-you-as-a-caregiver-176024.htm
(1)

My oldest brother was disabled and my Mom cared for him for about 50 years until he passed. She had a tough life my, My Mom, she is a woman of tremendous strength and faith. I assume by your post your friend is likewise. The word is the best medicine the most filling sustenance, lovely thank you, Llama, I love it.
(1)

'Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. "~Philippians 4:8
(3)

cmagnum: Yes, thank you! A friend of mine who has 6 children, one being disabled in many ways just quoted the scripture akin to what you posted the other day.
(1)

You're welcome.
(1)

Magnum Thank you for your comment. That is a very clear way to state something I have found so difficult to wrap my mind around. I truly appreciate it.
(2)

Lately, I have been thinking about Jesus' call to self-denial and have come to the following conclusions.

Jesus' call to self-denial is about denying selfishness, but not a denial of the very individual self that God made us to be in his image.

Jesus' call to self-denial does not mean emotional, financial, physical or social self-destruction. It's about saying yes to the will of God and no to our own will.

Jesus' call to self-denial is not the absence of fun, creature comforts, low self-esteem, running yourself down, not laughing or never rejoicing in the good that you have accomplished. It is a call to renounce ungodliness and to live a godly life.

Jesus' call to self-denial is not crucifying yourself on your own altar which leads to glory in your sacrifice. Instead, it means dying to self to allow more of God.
(6)

I hope all had a nice day wherever you be. Recognizing how blessed we are in the midst of trials and tribulations. May God bless!
(1)

smeshque: Oh, okay. I have French Canadian in my roots since my maternal grandmother was born in Sawyersville, Quebec. How very interesting about your heritage! Hugs back to you.
(0)

LL sorry not french. It is my first initial and the beginning of my last name which is 14 letters long and it is Native American, or Indian however one wants to say.
My maiden name was french though.
Good guess, most people always guess my last name to be like Scandinavian or something like that.
(Hugs)
(1)

DD that is such a sad thing you described. I am sorry for that experience, for you and your Mom. That just doesn't seem right.
I do hope you have better experiences soon with a church.
(((Hugs))) I always appreciate you sharing.
(1)

I want to mention also that as my mother got worse in her dementia she was not able to take a bus anylonger. The people who picked her up were ill and eventually died. Some sunday mornings I would come in to find her crying because it was women's day or some other event she was a member of everything. My mother help found the church. The original pastor died and they voted for this new pastor who sold the church and bought a new one in his neigborhood far from original with no provision for elderly. My mother is or was one of the oldest members of the church. I called and left a message. No one from the church has reached out. A friend who used to drive her an old buddy got access a ride to visit. Now the phone is unplugged and somewhere who knows because my mother packs and stuffs everythibng with anything and puts it anywhere.

I really felt bad bout her church as she was so dedicated. It was sad and just showed the true colors of the pastor his wife and the pastor's mother. My mother worked with them a lot on so many committees. So it was good to see how a true Church of God takes care of their own.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter