Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Oh Captain, I am so sorry...All you can do is be there for her now, as you always have...
(0)

May you and your Mom be comforted at this time. You and she have done your best together...Thank you for always being honest & funny in sharing. You & your Mom are in our thoughts and prayers for peace and comfort at this tansition in the journey...
(1)

Capn, I’m so sorry about your mom. I hope she reaches that zone quickly, too. I’m glad that you are definitely knowledgeable of your mom’s condition. When my mom’s muscles were shrinking and her skin around her legs were wrapped around her bones, I just thought her muscles were wasting away from not exercising those muscles. I agree with everyone that you were a great son to your mother. You have always been so straightforward – whether with your mom or with us here on AC. The one thing that stood out for me – no, not your “language” – was how much you did your best for your mom. {{HUGS}} of support for you, sister and the Parrot – and most of all – your mother.
(2)

Captain,
Many thoughts and prayers for your mother and her family at this time.
Love put in action. You were there for her.
(0)

(((((((Hugs))))))) and prayers for a peaceful passing. Keep us updated. I know you will be alright, but will still experience a big loss. Your mum is fortunate to have you.
(3)

mom is now on the sh@t that killed elvis and mike jackson both. kidding. we have liquid morphine and liquid ativan both at this point. shes a little agitated and wants to get out of bed but the bed is an inflatable comfort rig designed for cancer patients. theres nowhere more comfortable for her to go to. we hope to get her in the zone and keep her there cause i believe kidney cancer has spread to her digestive system and causing a lot of pain. i appreciate the supportive and kind responses here.
(3)

Captain ...thoughts and prayers for you and your Mom.
(1)

Captain, you are one of a kind. I hope your mother knows how fortunate she is to have had you share her journey and stick by her side to the end. There are a whole lot of men out there who could learn how to be a real man from you. You have a big heart under that sturdy exterior. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I wish the best for your mother and you.
(4)

You have such a realistic and refreshing attitude.
(2)

Cap'n - I'm so sorry. You are such a no-nonsense kind of guy, yet this has to be so difficult for you. It has been apparent the love you have for your mom, and letting go is never easy, even when we know they're better off. I have enjoyed your humor, and enjoyed meeting your Mom through your words. I wish you both peace.
(3)

Cap'n....Bob...I haven't checked in here for a while; just now saw your post and I feel both saddened and relieved for you. It's bittersweet, this final farewell. As I told you once before though, the universe is smiling (to which you replied "F*** the universe" LOL!) You have granted your mom such precious gifts in her final years...humor, honesty, dignity, patience & love to name just a few...and wonderful home cooked meals! You've been a stalwart advocate for her. I wish you peace and grace; you and your beautiful mom are in my thoughts and prayers.
(6)

I'm sorry to hear this about your mom. My mother-in-law passed earlier this year (March). So I understand your feelings totally. My mother-in-law's Dementia got worse before she died, and I was actually relieved when she started the process because I knew she wanted it long before. She knew her mind was "wrong" and didn't like her feelings that she was a burden to us. Plus she didn't like how her body was just giving out on her. I miss her tremendously, even as crazy as it was, but I am so glad now she is not suffering anymore. Which I'm sure you will be too. ((HUGS))
(3)

Your mom is so lucky to have you by her side at this time. Thinking of you and your mom...wishing her a peaceful passing.
(2)

I am so proud of you. I hope I have your courage, honesty, and love at the end. You and your mother are in my prayers.
(2)

None of us lives for oneself, and no one dies for oneself. For if we live, we live for the lord, and if we die, we die for the lord; so then, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. God bless you.
(1)

Here's to good energy & easy transition for your mom, Bob. Your parrot (is she an African Grey by chance) knows what's coming because animals are so intuitive. From a writer's view of an animal's perspective, I like the way Richard Adams send it in Watership Down: when Hazel, the lead rabbit, died, he left his body behind because he wouldn't need it anymore...
(1)

Dear Captain, Your Mom knows and you know that you have done everything possible to care for her with dignity and love. I will be praying that she has an easy passing. Blessings to all of you.
(3)

parrots dont pick up new words or phrases very often. its taken me 6 years to get her to say " balls " . " hell " came easy as she says hello a hundred times a day. bird knows mom is failing and shes dealing with it in a very mature way. i think she sees it thru a nature prospective as opposed to the more human emotional aspect. it gives me strength as it is a very natural cycle of life and a time to be more realistic and methodical than overran with emotion. mom is going to slip into a coma in a few days and not return from it. im somewhat happy for her because i dont want to see dementia played out to the end. the hallucinations and loss of mental capacity are torturous for her. shes always been quite brilliant and analytical. she is prepared to die and im telling her it is the reality and its ok.. mom is relieved that shes not going to feel this bad for very long. if i were dying i would talk to the kid who is honest with me. aint no time to be blowing smoke up anyones ass..
(14)

I'm so sorry. She is lucky to have a son who cares for her as faithfully as you do.
(3)

Bob,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Mom. You have been an angel on earth.....to her...and to us.

Your strength inspires us, as much as it comforts her.

Your humour reminds us that life just "is what it is", and so is death, but when they are both dealt with humour.....the pain softens just a bit. Hopefully enough for us to get through it.

Your honesty is a living tribute to the woman that raised you. She did good. You did GREAT.

I think I speak for everyone here that have come to depend on that strength, humour and honesty, that WE will be here for you, like you have been for us.

God bless you both,
Boni
(8)

Capn, you have been a devoted and loving (and funny) son to your Mom - and clearly your parrot agrees! I hope your Mom's passing is easy and that you have strong support around you. Bless you, your Mom and your sister (and your parrot).
(4)

Capn, I am so sorry to read this. Your mother is quite the character and will take a lot of spirit with her when she leaves us. I never know what to say when death is close. It is so welcome to see the suffering end, but there is still so many things that weren't done or said. Maybe you can teach the parrot to say "Bob said he loves you." She'll either love it or throw something at the parrot. Secretly I bet she would love it.
(5)

the parrot used to belong to my friend betsys mother who died from an aneurism in the birds presence. shes no stranger to human tragedy.. shes quite intelligent..
(5)

Cap'n, may God bless you all, that parrot included. We will be here thinking about you before, during, and after...write when you can. Hugs...
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter