Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
5 6 7 8 9
Babalou...Can't you get her on Hospice for some more help?I feel SO bad for what you are dealing with.Bless you for hanging in there....
(1)

Terry, that's what i thought originally, that it was Zika that she was thinking about. Interestingly, today, went to see mom mid-afternoon and no mention of her skin, dermatologist or anything of the sort. Oy vey.
(2)

Babalou, sometimes people will hear things on the news, like the Zika virus.... and see a skin flareup and right away think some how they got bitten by a mosquito. I wonder if your Mom relates to that since it could be harmful to pregnant women?
(1)

Babalou
Have read some of your earlier posts to know that this situation has been turmoil for you and your mom and at least one bro/sil for years - good gracious- your care is certainly the definition of love endures all things

I also know since finding ac that the most frequent responders are those whose loved ones have now passed so hopefully the will continue to share their valuable insights

Hugs to you :)
(4)

The thing about my mom is, she's not only an "awfulizer" she has a bit of medical knowledge from the 1940's . I thin she hears things being discussed outside her room and thinks it's about her.
(3)

BTW, my mother is also a nervous wreck. She's had generalize anxiety for over 50 years. She worries constantly. If she doesn't have something to worry about, she'll find it. I think that has a lot to do with seeking out symptoms -- something to worry about. Since your mother had cancer, the idea is always pretty close in her mind.
(2)

Babalou, my mother has the little skin bumps that come up. She used to drive me batty with them. I couldn't even see anything, but she could see and feel them. We went to the dermatologist several times. We got keratosis, folliculitis, or self-induced damage when we went. He was never concerned. He just gave her itch cream and that made her happy.

In my mother's case, I think she notices these little skin things because she is so tuned in to herself all day. She doesn't have anything to do, so she notices all these little symptoms and applies lotion quite often during the day. I've wondered on occasion if some of the skin irritation might be because of the lotion.
(3)

Just need to add some information here; no need for anyone to respond. So here we are at the beginning of summer again and mom is again in some kind of crisis. Most people "dip" during the winter months; my mother seems to have declines at the beginning of the good weather. I sometimes wonder what that is about.

So, a couple of weeks ago, she started to be upset because she thought she had something "terrible" that she had exposed my pregnant niece to; I thought we had gotten past it, but a few days ago, she developed some (what the dermatologist says are) keratoses on her arm. She is AGAIN convinced that there is something "terrible" going on and that I know what it is. Talked to her care team yesterday, this anxiety seems to surface in the late afternoon, early evening, so they are going to have the Psych team take a look and perhaps adjust her meds.

I had an interesting conversation with one of my cousins yesterday. She has always been my mom's confidante and I asked her if she had any insight into my mom's lifelong and overwhelming anxiety. She shared that when my mother developed breast cancer at age 65, she told my cousin that "my mother would be so angry with me for having cancer". Her mother had been dead for 10 years at that point. What a toxic childhood my poor mother must have had!
(1)

Sorry to learn of these developments, but I do hope there are some explanations from the speech therapists. It must be so hard to travel these uncharted waters, not really knowing when changes will occur and/or whether they represent something new and significant or are a pattern change from existing conditions.

I'm glad that the blood test results were fine and hope that all of your family has some peaceful times to balance the uncertainty that can frequently exist.

I'll be thinking of you and your family and hoping for the best.
(2)

Blood tests came back, all levels were fine. We are going to ask for one of the speech people to see her, perhaps she'll have some ideas/suggestions. Mom is on tramadol twice a day which should, I think, keep her out of pain. Her scrunched face which were seeing quite frequently, has in the past been an indication of extreme anxiety..." I'm a terrible terrible person, I'm going to Hell" and then something about her 1939 tax return ( this is all from the days when she could still talk). Oy, maybe more klonopin.
(2)

Babalou, I noticed that with Mom, too.... but there seems to be a pattern... Mom will be zoned out for a day or two, then the third day she is more alert and a bit chatty but it like being Colombo trying to figure out what Mom is talking about. Then the next day back to being zoned out. Seems to be more zoned out day now in-between the chatty ones.
(2)

Talked my brother and sil today; they are mom's visitors several times a week. They also see a big change:no speech, lethargy, very little affect. The nurse who is a regular said she was a bit agitated this morning, which is unusual.

Sil also noticed she hasn't eaten any cookies this week, which is a very bad prognostic sign. They are going out to get mom rum raisin ice cream ; I've sent an email to the unit manager asking for the nurse - practioner and/or doctor to stop by tomorrow.

Those of you who know vascular dementia, is a steep sudden decline like this common, or has she had another stroke? ( NOT that we're going to the hospital to find out, if I can help it)
(1)

So, I skipped seeing Mom last weekend, in part because my grandson came down with pneumonia and I didn't want to bring germs up to her. So I saw her today, and she didn't speak a single word while I was there. Smiles for the pictures of her great grandson in his Halloween costume, but really very little in the way of affect. Don't know if this is a big change or a subtle one. Only time will tell.
(4)

"thinking that any of this is making a difference" resonates with me.

In my situation playing the old games doesn't do me or her any good, in fact it enables her. Any contact has potential to enable. There are practical things that I need to do or find some to do for me. That leaves the strictly personal matter of how much I want to see my mother and what my sense of obligation to see her is. I would be fine never seeing her again as when I do see her I am in territory that is unsafe for me. I do, however, have a small sense of obligation which is getting smaller all the time as I wrestle with my own health issues. I used to visit her city 4 times a year, seeing her multiple times each visit. Can't do that anymore, so it has become largely a practical matter - maybe once or twice a year will work. We will see. I make no promises. Does she want more visits? Of course, she has always wanted more visits. I suppose they do have some "real" meaning. But, her loneliness is her issue, not mine.

Rambling with my stuff here - thx for the opportunity, babalou. You have made the right decision.

ff - sorry to hear about your mum, It was bound to happen eventually. I think you are wise to cut back. I wish I had done less sooner. I think my health would be better now
(2)

Babalou, I am planning on doing the same thing by cutting out all the daily visits... it's wearing on me too much and physically/emotionally I can feel it now.... [sigh].
(3)

I know, Jessie. My sister in law is a very special person, and both of my parents adore/adored her. I do too. I was just wallowing last night.

About the mother/son thing, yes, I'm sure I light up like a Christmas tree when I see my son, and I'm sure it causes consternation to my (much more present ) daughters. I feel much better this morning. Those drives (I'm in Brooklyn, mom is in Connecticut ) are just taking a lot out of me.

Whine over!
(1)

Babalou, I wonder if it is a mother and son thing. My mother is so warm and sweet to my brothers and their families. I sounds like your SIL is a special gift to her. It can feel bad to be the practical child, but what you do is important. I would keep visiting. Parents don't treat their children the same. I don't think it means there is less love. It's just that each child is different.
(2)

Babalou, you are right about everything, and you are being very rational about it, and these are good things. I just want to send some fellow feeling about the bitterness of the pill. You go to all that trouble, you do all those daughterly things, and then somebody else arrives and her little face lights up like a shooting star. Well, bugger me.

I listened to a scholarly programme on Radio 3 all about Hadyn and his legacy and protégés and so on, and it went into some depth about Beethoven's devotion to his teacher and tributes to him and all the rest of it. Very interesting. Then to close the programme, the presenter said, "we will now hear the final movement from the xth symphony by Hadyn's favourite pupil: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart."

It's that "oh, gee, thanks" feeling. But you're right to take it as you are doing. Go and see her when it makes a difference to *you.*
(4)

Babalou, now you are thinking straight! I like your idea, and hope you follow through without any guilt. You have enough on your plate! Yes, you are spot on!
(6)

This belongs on the "whine" thread. Two hour drive up. Cut mom's nails. Trimmed facial hair. (My jobs). Tried to keep up conversation about pope, my grandson, various relatives. (mom is aphasic). Bro and SIL stop by. Sil is much better than I am (she just is) at judging my mom's needs, moods,etc). Gets her bundled up to go outside. I stay an hour longer than planned to chat with them. Mom claims that she is not getting the interferon cream on her nose. I leave; spy mom having much more animated conversation with Bro and sil than she ever has with me on my way out. Two and a half hour drive home.

I'm knackered. I'm not going to do this once a week anymore. Just can't anymore. My brother told me a year ago "we've got the visiting thing covered" and they do They are 10 minutes away. I gotta stop torturing myself and thinking that any of this is making a difference. I make a difference by calling the docs, SW and DON and figuring that stuff out.
(7)

Thank goodness for this website... even though when I first came onto this website my parents didn't have memory issues, I decided to learn as much as I could about dementia. Glad I did, as my Mom is quite befuddled at times and I just smile and agree with her. Without this website I would have been hyperventilating to whomever would listen to me.

With me keeping my cool, I know I am not putting my Dad into a panic. I do have to remind him that Mom had a head injury so she won't be herself. In fact he finds Mom's talking interesting and comical at times. Now he's wondering if Mom will give away any secrets while talking in her sleep :)
(6)

I had to deal with a lot of healthcare providers with my cousin who has dementia, including nurses, hospital staff, office staff, medical equipment people, even doctors. I would just speak up and tell them how to do it, if they didn't know. I was friendly, but just told them to save time and since they needed to know. I've had to demonstrate how to get her up on a scale. You can't just ask. lol With all the dementia patients out there, why aren't these professionals more informed?
(3)

Completely sympathise, Sandwich. It's depressing how you can get through all that training and still be that clueless about such a massive patient population, isn't it? They can't possibly not encounter many - I'd guess it's around five per shift, wouldn't you? Maybe we should all make a point of saying directly to them: "Go And Learn About Communicating Effectively With Dementia Patients" instead of just supplementing their woeful skills.
(4)

When you get the chance (not if, but when) to see how trained dementia care givers treat the person vs. how untrained medical professionals do, you'll really appreciate the trained ones.

When mom was in the ER earlier this week, I could tell that not one soul there had been educated on dealing with a dementia patient. They over explained everything. They kept giving her choices, and doing all the things they would with someone in their right mind. It just made her more confused. Thankfully not distressed. Too many questions repeated when mom wouldn't answer. Hello - that's what I'm there for! I know it must feel wrong for them to not speak directly to the patient but to their guardian/POA. They also talked to her in a slow baby talk way, which is just a symptom of not being trained not to infantilize the dementia patient while trying to be kind.

I think the ER staff need some awareness of this, but may not encounter enough dementia patients to practice those skills.
(4)

FF, I remember that feeling so well when mom was in her first rehab. In short order, she became paranoid, delusional and mistrusting of us. Totally NOT my mom. That was a little more than two years ago. Deep breathes, my friend.
(2)

babalou, now that my Mom is in a rehab/long term care facility I re-read your postings on this thread to give me an idea what I might face as my Mom has only been there for one week now, after a few days in the hospital. Your threads have been so helpful for me. Otherwise I would be freaking out with what I have been seeing with my Mom.... it's like someone had kidnapped my Mom and replaced her with someone else !!
(3)

CM, it defies the imagination. And this is a "good" nurse, one my SIL knows personally from a previous job placement. Just needed to vent.
(0)

God almighty. Doesn't she know of a friendly pharmacist? Or failing that could she not look up the patient prescribing information on the manufacturer's website? I suppose they're not paid to use their initiative.

Fortunately, it's not like your mother's going to be able to lick it off her own face so maybe not much could go too badly wrong. Count to ten!
(1)

NH calls last night to ask about how to use the Aldara, the interferon stimulating cream that has been prescribed to get rid of any basal carcinoma cells at the margins of the excision. The nurse wanted to know if she should put a bandaid on after application. (????). I said I didn't know, weren't there instructions ? She said no, maybe she'd ask my mom (???????!!!!!!!!). No, I said, please don't, please Google or call the doctor. Talked to the unit manager RN this AM. Who basically said "WTF?.... You can't make this stuff up, people.
(4)

I hope no feels that they have to respond when I post here. For me, this is a sort of online diary/vent, so that my husband /kids/ex/coworkers don't start finding me more annoying than they already do.

Talked to MD at NH yesterday. She agrees that the topical treatment for the Basal Cell is fine. Also told me that the chest xray mom was supposed to have on 9/10 (that mom is SURE she had), didn't occur.

So new chest xray shows pneumonia and they called today, wanting to start her on intravenous antibiotics. I don't usually argue with sort of thing but asked if it was really necessary. APRN said she was thinking the same thing. So we are not doing antibiotics, in part because mom is completely asymptomatic. And I suspect that she will think an intravenous line is actually chemo. So we'll see what happens.
(4)

5 6 7 8 9
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter