Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
4 5 6 7 8
Soup day here too - chicken. We really need those "pockets of peace" amid the vagaries of relationships/care giving and they don't happen on their own. You have to create them.

I let mother sleep too, so visits have to occur at meal times as she sleeps most of the rest of the time and seems to need it. I think their bodies are winding down and just keeping going takes a lot of energy.
Hope your mum is better today,
(3)

Lentil soup or bouillabaisse?
(2)

FF, I've got " baby" cataracts that cause me to experience lots of glare when it's dark.

Yes, relaxed day today. Going to make a big pot of lentil soup when dh finishes draining and cleaning the two fish tanks.
(2)

Barb, I was the same way, when visiting my Mom in long-term-care, if she was sleeping I would just let her be. My Mom probably was given something to calm her down and let her sleep, otherwise she would try to climb out of bed forgetting she could no longer stand up or walk.

I didn't like night driving, and here the long-term-care facility was just down the street. At night I have trouble judging the speed of other cars.
(2)

Thanks for the updates, Barb. I appreciate your informative posts on her status, and hopefully the next one will be one of progress.

I hope today is a "mental health day" for you - the anxiety that can increase from these unknown situations can wear you down, so take care of you too!
(2)

Thanks, cm, jinglbts and GA. I agree, she's fighting something off. Will check with staff tomorrow.
(3)

Well, the good signs are that she's still eating. Perhaps she's just overtired, perhaps she has an infection that's causing a lack of energy. Perhaps it's the weather.

I've find as I age that colder weather wears me down more quickly than when I was young and liked to run around outside to prove how tough I was and how well I could handle cold weather. Now I cherish staying inside and perhaps taking an extra nap.

You mentioned a productive cough and congestion; perhaps she has a respiratory issue, such as bronchitis or pneumonia?

She may also be emotionally overcome by the birth of a great grandson; that's a very special event!

Make sure you get enough rest yourself; a 2 hour drive is tiring enough but is exhausting when there are emotional issues involved.

These kinds of times can really wear you down as well. The emotional concern and worry are enough to cause extra fatigue for you.
(4)

Ah babalou, these things are so hard.
(1)

Hugs, BB. This sort of thing is extremely hard on the nerves. Will someone else be visiting her tomorrow, who can update you?
(2)

Very depressing visit today. I got there at 11.30. Mom was asleep in bed ( she hasnt gotten up out of bed since Thurday, vitals are reported to be strong). Told nurses id go do some grocery shopping and get gas and come back. Came back at about 1 pm. Still in bed, still asleep. She'd eaten lunch ( and breakfast).

I stayed until 3 pm ( i live 2 hours away, and it's hard for me to drive after dark, which is why i went early). Still asleep. She's on o2, breathing sounds okay, not labored. Her color is good. Couldn't bear to wake her ( i was trained never to wake folks up. It's how we heal, sleeping is). I think she is fighting something off.
(9)

Mother got a cough and a fever a few months ago, and I thought that might be the beginning of the end for her. It could happen that way. Living so far away I didn't plan a trip, but waited to see how she was the next day. They gave her tylenol for the fever and a few days later she was over it. But you never know...

Barb, I agree, Writing things out is very therapeutic for me too, and the on line support is great.
(7)

That phone call in the night - makes your heart pound. Got two of them last year: 1:30 am that my brother-in-law had passed, and 9 months later, a 3am call from the NH telling me Mom had passed. My heart was in my throat every time the phone rang in the wee hours.
(7)

Ah yes, waiting for the phone call. Those heart pounding moments when you see on the Caller ID it is the senior facility calling.

Or my Dad calling me late at night saying he fell and an ambulance is coming. So I hop in the car and rush over only to see no ambulance in front of his building... I quickly walk to his room and he is sitting quietly in his recliner watching TV. I hunt down the nurse, and yes, Dad had fallen and she checked him over, he was fine. And no, the EMT's were not called.
(7)

Thanks to you all, madge, golden, amy, terry, glad and everyone else reading. Mom has very strong genes ( her mom lived to 92, her sister to nearly 97). This is not really a " burden": she's not living with me, i usually end up going only every other weekend...but i think it's the " waiting for the phone call" , kind of a slow torturous process of never knowing what to do. Thanks for listening. Writing this all down is quite therapeutic for me!
(7)

Hope you got some sleep, Barb

Let us know how she's doing
(3)

barb - so glad your mum saw her latest great grand child. Hope she is better tomorrow You don' t know what is going to happen when they are in the late stages. Hope you have a good visit. ((((((hugs))))

ff - use a non drowsy antihistamine like loratadine. I use it year around.
(4)

Barb, that was nice that your Mom got to see her new great grandson and was overcome with job.

Bet the congestion and cough is weather related. Those pretty colorful leaves sitting on the ground produce mold spore that gets me stuffed up and coughing, too. I am now half awake this time of year from the antihistamines.
(5)

Update. Mom has a new great grandson. She finally met him last week ( he' s now 3 mos old, neice lives in Switzerland). According to my sil, mom only lasted about 5 minutes before she stared crying, overcome with emotion.

Brother called last night, ,mom seems very tired, congested and has a productive cought. I'm going up tomorrow.
(10)

yes! reassurance- acknowledgment is what they need. and Yes, it is Exhausting.. Sometimes a nice tight hug of acknowledgment was what mom needed...but mostly music always helped... I would sing to her , or if I was getting frustrated I would sing to myself lol . But if she was anxious, I would sit close and put my arms around her- anchoring her as her mind flew away....
(4)

and " moved on"--my sil's words. It IS huge! I am so happy and relieved for you and hope the "moving on" continues as the disease progresses. Glad the articles were helpful. We, as caregivers, have to continually adjust as our LO declines and new symptoms appear. They don't understand it - they can't.

amy - you a great job with your mum and no need for regrets. Guilt is part of grieving and it has helped me to realize that. The caretaking does take a lot out of us emotionally and we need to care for and be kind to ourselves. There is no easy way through all of this.

(((((hugs)))))) to both of you.
(1)

Thanks so much, Golden; the links came through, good articles!

Well, the good news is that i got a call last night from brother and sil; they visited mom yesterday and all was well until 3.30pm when mom started to weep...that she has something that she's transmitted to the baby due to be born next month. Bro and sil reassured her, prayed with her and " moved on"--my sil's words. Okay, this is huge! I think she sees that all the record gathering, trip to dermatologist, biopsy rigamarole had no effect on mom's thinking because mom's thinking isnt wired into logic circuits anymore. We"llmove on to new challlenges, im sure, but i feel like this is a watershed moment.

Amy, please don't beat yourself up! I think we are all good at looking back and seeing precisely what we SHOULD have done in the past in all of out relationships. It's a peculiarly human trait. I think we can pass our insight on to others as a way of increasing the knowledge base about how to get through this awful diseease with our loved ones. Be kind to yourself!
(7)

It just goes on and on doesn't it? After going through it with my mother for 10 years, it is only since she is gone that I realize how much it took out of me emotionally! We love our mothers, but the game board changes when they become strangers. It is only now, after 4 months, that I am thinking back about the relationship we had 30 years ago, before she changed so much.
Then I wish I had been more patient over the last few years and feel guilty. I tell myself (and hope) that with her dementia she didn't notice my annoyance with her and if she did, she forgot it within five minutes. I regret I wasn't more tolerant and less resentful. I hope she forgive mes up there in heaven with my dad.
Hang in there everyone.
(7)

Barbara - I think that it is called sundowning because it usually happens in the evening, Some research looks into the positive effects of light on sundowning and I think there is a little evidence that it and melatonin help in some cases. I read one response here where a parent exhibited this behaviour in the morning.

I found a few articles and will pm you the links so, hopefully, they don't get deleted. From the reading I did it seems that sundowning is likely neurological in origin, more brain damage, basically, which causes agitation which usually presents later in the day. Whether or not it is always linked to light levels is questionable.

I found early in the disease mother would call me in the mornings very fussed about something, whatever was the flavour of the month, so to speak. Usually it was not something that was "fixable" - like sometimes the aides were 10 minutes late with her breakfast. .I did not think it was worth calling the ALF to see if they could do anything about it as 10 mins here or there, to me, is normal. I attributed it to depression which is worse in the mornings. As the disease progressed and in the period before she was hospitalized she would call 3 x each evening. It may have been sundowning, I really didn't care, but the calls were clearly crazy and at times quite hurtful. I eventually stopped answering them and screened the voice mail for anything that could have been real that I should attend to - like aides missing a shower appointment. Of course, I did not have any other family members to deal with at that time. I think it is quite justifiable to attribute her agitations/concerns, expressed particularly in the evenings, as related to her disease, and deal with them accordingly. You know her well, and also have her doctor's opinion supporting you. It also sounds like attention getting behaviour ( hard to separate the dementia from disorders) which is unfortunately, played into by sil. Thank goodness she has you, who has a more balanced view of things, or she might be moved around more and suffer pain and damage.
(2)

So, it sounds like "sundowning" is something of a misnomer. It's striking in the late afternoon, despite the sun still being up. I thought that wa true, but I'm not finding that in any of the online materials im looking at ( that i can send to other family members). If any one has a good article, pm me, please!
(2)

When she was still at home my mom start calling me at work everyday at 3:00 pm

Even on the weekends when I was with her something started bothering her around that time of day
(2)

Babalou, my Dad is fairly sharp during the day, but come 4 pm it is like a light switch, his brain tends to disappear :( And if it is very cloudy, storm like, the sundowning will show up earlier.

Dad will call me fretting about something, usually the cost of things. He's now obsessed with the cost of where he is living and he wants to either move or cut back. We will chat about it and next thing I know it is an instant replay. It is so hard for me to wrap my head around because this just started a month or so ago.

I need to rattle some cages at where he is living as I asked them politely last month to stop mailing him a duplicate bill.... yep, Dad got this month's bill.... now I need to go visit Dad and sneak out that bill... out of sight, out of mind.
(4)

Mica, thanks SO much!, does she get really agitated, or just upset that somethings not right?

The aphasia makes this so d@mn difficult!
(3)

my mom sun-downs every day 3pm summer or winter :)
(1)

So, this is my personal "whine" page and no one needs to respond. I just find it helpful to have all of this information written down in one place; maybe it helps someone else from time to time.

So, after Monday's "procedure" at the dermatologist's office (a followup to mom thinking she had something like leprosy, which of course led to doc finding something he thought needed to be biopsied on her forehead) the biopsy is negative (actinic keratosis, yay!), I get an email from my SIL late last night.

My brother went to visit at 4:30 yesterday and mom was agitated about something about her wheelchair, but couldn't tell him what (she has aphasia). She asked if SIL was coming later and she was happy to hear that she was.
SIL found mom in a hospital gown (horrors, mom only likes to wear her own nightgowns. I am decidedly unsympathetic on this point) and SIL asked all the staff why mom was in a gown. No one knew. Mom couldn't tell R about the gown, or the wheelchair, but R thought that perhaps the roomate was taking mom's clothes (where did THAT come from?).

Having been there once this week, (two hours minimum trip, each way) I fought with myself, but I decided to go pay a visit. Talked to mom's nurse. Mom never got out of bed yesterday. RN had no idea about why gown. But she got up bright and early today, so no one was concerned.

Asked mom about wheelchair. She looked at me like I was crazy and shrugged expressively. There is NO problem with the wheelchair.

Took mom to the lobby to show her pictures, etc, and in case she wanted to say something not in roomate's earshot. Nothing.

Back to room. Lunch has been delivered. There are adaptive utensils. (??)

I say to mom "you don't use these, do you?" She shakes her head no and I get her some regular cuterly. Aide comes in and says "OT has ordered these for your mom". I ask if I can talk to them and indeed they are in their office. So I run down. OT has noticed that mom spills half her food, so they've gotten her adaptive eating utensils and a scoop bowl. Very nice. thank the OTs.

Go back to mom's room. SIL is there for a visit. Turns out she's seen the adaptive silverware before. Somehow, mom being in a johnny coat is MUCH more important than the fact that mom's motor skills are clearly declining.

It seems to me that the fact that my mother is only upset about stuff late in the afternoon (4:30 or so) and after indicates that this is sun-downing, even though the sun doesn't go down until 8 PM here these days? Not sure about that.
(3)

My dad is the one on hospice and everyone who comes to visit us looks at my mom and asks why isn't she on hospice? She's as healthy as a horse. Like captain said, she is having a virtual party in her head. She just downed lunch. I'm telling you though, I have to halve the lunch portion because she is keeping watch over my dad and with her not moving from that room she is burning zero calories. But she still tells me when he moves wrong off the bed, so I'm grateful to her.
(3)

4 5 6 7 8
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter