Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
One of lessons I've learned here is that we are never prepared when it is our own parent. That's why advice from all of you is so valuable. Lessons from JeanneGibbs, whose mom bounced and graduated from hospice especially! Lessons from all of you about when to lay back with sibs and when to push.
(8)

Barb
I'm crying with you reading of the afternoon -
Perhaps it seems that after taking so long, it now comes so fast

As in the past, you, Barb, are getting done what needs to be done

Rest your mind tonight. Hope tomorrow goes easily for hubs.

We're here with you
(7)

Mom is on morphine every 2 hours (originally scheduled every 4 and then prn, but she was still in pain...i suspect a broken hip or pelvis or vertebrae. Gotta be). I think maybe it was a good thing thay SIL, who has been relictant to do hospice, got to see moms level of pain today. Had to stay home today for husband's procedure. He has gravel in his bladder. Go figure. Took the opportunity to help out middle daughter by taking 5 month old granddaughter for a three hour walj in Prospect Park. My, that chikd has personality! I told her all about what we'll do next summer when she can walk. It was a very therapeutic day.
(11)

OMG, a broken hip? Have x-rays been taken? How very sad for your mother; it must be agonizing to be in the situation your family is in. How are you and your brother and sister holding up? And how is your husband?

I've never heard of gravel in a bladder. That must be painful. Without being facetious, but trying to lend a bit of light banter to the topic, did he eat something made in China?
(2)

GA, when the doc came out to the waiting room to tell me I said " we haven't been to the beach"..... it's like the beginning of bladder stones. Needs to keep himself more hydrated. Such a relief!!!

I'm thinking that perhaps they missed a break in the ER. Remember, 4 years ago, my mom fell in AL, got sent to ER and cleared. Broken hip dxed three days later by alert pt who noticed mom was not weight bearing.

So, at this point, if she had a broken hip, pelvis, she wouldn't be able to survive surgery. So morphine is the right choice. Just peed Jeane Gibbs who had something similar, her mom was on hospice with an inoperable broken hip and survived for another 2 happy years. Could it happen for us? Maybe?. Going up very early tomorrow and will be in touch.

I just can't tell you how much I love and appreciate you all. Gnight!
(11)

Barb, my Mom had Uterine Cancer, that metastasized to her hip bones and the lowest bones of her pelvis, the Ishium (the little U shaped bones, our butt bones that we sit on), They were literally desolving away from the cancer, leaving spikey edges, which caused her a great deal of pain. One day (post hysterectomy, post 30 days of Radiation therapy, now in the wait and watch phase, 6 months post my Dad dying), she was putting something away in her closet, her pelvis snapped, she fell into the closet, excruciating pain like I've ever seen before as we tried to get her out of the closet, 911, hospital ER, they knocked her out with pain meds and Vallium like drugs right away. Sent to xray, returned still asleep, and when the Dr put her X-ray up on the light box, I was standing there with my eldest brother and one sister, and looking at her films it was like "oh Sh*t, how is this even possible?", there was practically nothing left of her left hip socket, it was so eroded from the cancer, and I couldn't believe she was still walking at that point.

The Dr said inoperable, time for Hospice, can your family manage her at home? She was living with my eldest sister at the time, still recovering from the treatment, so I called her on the phone (she had stayed behind with her brand new Grand baby and the 2 other grandchildren. I told her the Dr said about 3 weeks (prognosis), Maybe! So of course sister said we'll bring her home. Same scenario I'm dealing with here with my FIL, Hospice sets up a hospital room in your home, and you rally the troops, if your going that route. I am one of six close siblings, so we worked like an army together, managing her end of life care, 5 months she lived, with a PIC line in her chest for the heavy dose Morphine (and I mean Heavy!) to be delivered into her, plus a push button, for when the pain was really bad. Urinary Catheter (same as my FIL), bedbound, the whole enchilada!

It is quite amazing how they send you home a patient who is So sick, So dependant, and your are left to Figure it out!

I tell you, just the medication management is a job in itself, and I feel like a scientist figuring out just the right formula to make him comfortable and manageable for us, and Hospice is very helpful in making sure the family gets some rest too, by providing Lorazepam to keep him Calm, and to get a good night's sleep! Heck, I almost want to sneak one of his magical relaxers at the end of some days too!! Lol!

The Hospice team is fantastic, so responsive to our questions and concerns! I know that it helps that I have a medical background, as I don't see how other people could do what we are doing at home to make his end of days as best as possible! The worst part is getting the poop part under control! 3 times today it's been "a mess", so the stool softens are the real tricky part!

While my FIL is not outwardly thankful to us in the day to day care, he did express extreme satisfaction to my daughter today, telling her that we are doing a great job in caring for him, and that he is so glad to be home with us, so there is that!

I'm so sorry about the possibility of a hip/spine fracture for your Mom, and thank God for good pain relievers! It's all about the comfort now! God bless Sweetie!
(8)

About three weeks before my mom passed she had quite the fall. She had been diagnosed with osteoporosis years ago that was treated with Boniva. Her doc took her off the Boniva about four years ago because recent studies had shown long term use if it will cause bones to become very brittle resulting in pulverized bone with breaks that cannot be fixed.

Hospice suspected mom's behaviors, which had become completely unmanageable, were caused by pain from possibly a broken hip from the fall. We will never know for sure as if you are not going to do the treatment why do the test? It may have confirmed a break but, just additional testing would not be easy for mom. Then the excruciating decision of whether to attempt treatment. Mom passed three weeks after the fall.

My best to you Barbara and Stacey and families too as you are both on this final journey with your folks. Thinking of you both.
(8)

Dear friends, just to let you know that mom passed away this afternoon. Will post more tomorrow.
(12)

Dear Barb so sorry Mom had to endure so much before she passed. Finally it is over for her but just the beginning for you and your family as you begin your journey through the maize of grief.
It is different for everyone so let each stage happen and don't try and get back to "normal"
It will be a new normal and will take a while to make new memories. Don't be surprised if it takes a year or more.
Sending you love and healing thoughts. Mom will always be with you in spirit so talk to her often.
(9)

Barb, I'm so sorry.... Your mom's no longer in pain. Please take that as comfort. It really helps to know that you were there for her and did your d*rn best to ensure she was as comfortable as possible. You were always there for her - Always - even if it meant your tears was the only way to get her hospice care. You were a wonderful daughter for your mom. {{{{HUGS}}}}
(5)

So sorry to hear your mom passed. My heart goes out to you. But know that she is no longer suffering and is looking down at you from heaven, knows you love her and were there for her. It is so hard for us to get our heads around it when we lose our mothers. For some reason we picture them always being there.
Perhaps it is a blessing your mother did not suffer for long and passed quickly and peacefully.
We lost our mother last year. She had fallen and fractured her hip (and arm) but at 101, there was nothing to be done for her except morphine and keeping her confined to bed. She lived 3 long months and the rapid decline and the side effects of being bedridden were horrible and we felt helpless, knowing that she would never have chosen this. Prayers for you and your mom.
(6)

Dear Barb, I'm so sorry to read that your mom has passed on.....
(6)

Just so sorry Barb. With love across the miles.
(5)

Thinking of your, Barb. I am so sorry to read about your mother.

((((Barb))))
(5)

So sorry, Barb. I'm wishing you lots of love and comfort at this time. Your mom is at peace and pain free. (((((hugs)))))
(5)

You have my deepest sympathy, Barb. May your mother's memory be a blessing to you. xoxo
(5)

"Hugs" Barb

💜Bella
(4)

I too offer my condolences, and support for you and your family. Even though we've never met and probably most of us haven't, I felt close to your family and feel as if a close friend has lost her mother. Peace be with you and your family.
(6)

Barb, I am so sorry for your loss. She is now free of her disease, and dancing with the angels. She knows and appreciates how much you did for her. Thinking of you and your family.

So many deaths this year here! And many of us around about the same amount of time.
(5)

I wish you peace and strength as you take the bereavement journey. There are bound to be bumps in the road, but you'll surmount them. You are used to bumps! Reach out for help when you need it.

I hope you'll stay around on AC. You have valuable insights to share. And perhaps you'll have some questions on your new journey.
(6)

Barb, I am sorry for your loss. But, at least your Mom's ordeal is over.

Take extra good care of you. *hugs*
(4)

Hello, similar history here except mom now refuses to walk or stand as she is afraid of falling. Palliative care doc is coming next week, see what doc suggests and will pass it along.
(2)

Barb,
SO SORRY for your loss of your dear mother today.
Sending comfort prayers and love to you and your family
during this difficult time!

Love,
from Sendhelp
(6)

Barb,
My Condolences.
(3)

The funeral was today for Phoenixdaughter's mother.
Thinking of all the caregivers who have lost their loved ones.
(7)

Barb - my deepest condolences on the loss of your mother. I am glad she did not linger in pain or discomfort. My heart goes out to you and your family. You all have been a wonderful example of how to pull together in caring for a parent. Please be gentle with yourself in the next days, weeks and months. ((((((((((hugs)))))) Do come back when you are ready to. You will be missed.
(8)

Barb,
So glad you had the day in the park with your grand baby to help carry you through the magnitude of mom's passing today - as Glad mentioned, so many losses recently and your words and counsel always a shining example

We sit with you in grief
(8)

No more pain or fear for her. It doesn't make you miss her any less, but it's the main consolation. Hugs, and condolences to your family.
(4)

Barb,

I'm sorry for your loss but I'm glad your mom is free of her pain and suffering. My mom passed away in May and my 15-year caregiving journey came to an end at that time. I know I did the best I could for her, so I am at peace with her passing. I hope you can feel the same about your mom. You did your best and I'm sure she knew and appreciated that. {{{{Hugs}}}}
(5)

Dear all, please know how much comfort your words are bringing me today.

I need to tell you two stories, just so you all remember that life is a comedy that doesn't stop for death.

As my mother's breathing slowed yesterday, starting around noon, my cell phone rang. Ikea, which had promised to arrange a pick up of some recalled dressers wanted to come. In an hour. OmG!. I called my husband who was resting at home from his procedure yesterday. I now have three dressers worth of furniture on my bedroom floor.

Returning to my mom's room, my SIL (who you may recall, was not on board with hospice at all till earlier this week said " why is this taking so long? Pop ( my dad) it's time to come get mom!". I started playing my mom's favorite arias, from La Boheme, Norma, Turondot. We played Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman. Carousel, South Pacific. SIL'S phone and my tablet were blasting out Big Band, American Songbook, Puccini and Broadway by turns. We sent mom out on a cloud of song.

And after she was gone ( it was just SIL and I in the room at the time) and we had a good cry and a hug, we separated and said in unison "Team Mom!" and high fived each other. And of course, that's when my brother and our family friend walked back into the room.

They're going to be telling that story for years.
(10)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter