Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
?????? is spot on, BB - no one has ever been "more comfortable" in a hospital, it's just not what they're for! Perhaps what he really means is "nearer the big shiny expensive machines," and I sympathise, because it is an instinct to rush one's loved one to the highest-tech centre one can think of.

Poor mother. But it sounds as though they're doing a good job of keeping her comfortable and not frightened. Hoping for the best outcome for her, whichever way that may go.
(3)

CM, if I read my brother correctly, he was repeating something that his wife had said, because it was followed later by "and without someone else in the room" (mom has a roommate, nice quiet lady who is rehabbing and who is always out at an activity). Mom seems blissfully unaware of anyone else's presence, including mine.

I was so glad that I was able to talk to brother at work yesterday; I usually get both of them on the phone and my sil is built very differently from the way we are. When her dad was dying of a dozen different ailements, her younger brother was jumping up and down on the chair in the hospital room screaming "fight it, Poppi, fight it" (I'm not exaggerating; they really resist dying, these folks.)

I pointed out to my brother that at the NH, mom is surrounded by folks who love her; everyone in the place stopped by yesterday, every aide, nurse, Father, two nuns, just to check in. When I mentioned to her nurse and the APRN that we wouldn't want to send mom to the hospital for the pneumonia, they looked at me like I had three heads and the RN murmured, "no hospital, Barbara, no hospital". I'm frankly of the opinion that the fall that she suffered was far less traumatic that the two way ride to the ER in the ambulance, and the experience of being in the ER and having tests, questions, etc.
Thanks for the good thoughts, Countrymouse; as you say, this is will come out as it's supposed to. b
(6)

The other reason I really would rather she not be in hospital--they've always screwed up her meds there, no one knows her and one of us REALLY would need to be there around the clock. And I never trust hospitals to actually READ the DNR/DNI/MOLST. In my experience, they "save" folks and ask questions later. Exactly what you want for a young healthy patient. Exactly what is not wanted for my poor mom.

While I'm rambling, my brother told me that in the ER the other night, when they were splinting mom's arm, one of the docs said, "oh, and we moved her watch and jewelry to her right arm". My brother looked at him and said "jewelry?" Yes, some sort of bracelet, the doc said.

"You mean her MedicAlert bracelet?" (the one with all her med conditions, etc.)

Well, yes. The one they didn't look at.

A couple of years back, my husband got taken to the local ER; as I was telling the ER nurse all of HIS medical conditions and meds, the nurse looked down sternly at my mostly passed out hubby. "Mr. S", she said, "you really should be wearing a MedicAlert". Before I could explode, he mutely raised his right arm with the clearly marked bracelet on his wrist.

Oh. Well......yes, like that.
(8)

Now That is scary! I understand if it's a MedicAlert necklace that happens to be hiding beneath your clothing. But a bracelet? There goes believing how helpful those bracelets are.

I'm just checking in to see what's the latest. Keeping vigil with you along with the other AC posters. Take care.
(4)

Scary about the medic alert bracelets! Thinking of you and your mum. Update us when you can.
(4)

More oy. The tramadol doesn't seem to be covering mom's pain, she looks dreadfully uncomfortable/in pain/miserable. We've inquired about morphine. Hand with the IV ( the wrist that's NOT broken) feels hot. I tried feeding her some soup today, but it didn't seem to go down, so we're back to ice chips and lemon ice. Thanks for asking. Just sort of holding my breath.
(6)

(((((((Barb)))))) Such a distressing time. Poor mum. Prayers for all of you.
(5)

No words, just (((hugs))).
(5)

Hoping mom got some rest, Barb

Will you be making the round trip again today?
(3)

Yup.
(3)

Wishing all of you the best and comfort for mom, Barb.
(4)

Sending you mental and physical strength to face the day barb.
You are in my thoughts all day!
Hugs
(4)

Safe Travels.
(3)

Thinking of you, Barb. Wishing you strength, clarity, and peace about everything. And patience. It's been a long road and may go on some ways, who knows. I hope your mom is more comfortable today and her pain is better managed.
(3)

I just requested a hospice evaluation. I am allowed as healthcare proxy, but signing for the service is up to my brother.

Mom keeps having this terrible grimace of pain, or anxiety, or I can't tell you what. They've doubled her tramadol but she's having terrible problems swallowing it. I want morphine for my mother and for whatever reason, my brother and sil are against it. Mom had morphine when she had a mastectomy...we know it Works!
(8)

My brother came by when he got my text. He's in agreement with hospice if they recommend it. I think that's good news.
(10)

I do too, Barb. I am so sorry your mother is in discomfort. Morphine should ease it. Let us know if hospice is recommended. I am glad you are there for her. ((((((hugs))))))
(4)

Barb, I'm so sorry this is going on for your Mom, and your family, the long wait is excruciating, I know!

From everything I have read about and witnessed, the Morphine actually helps to open their airways and assists in easier breathing. I'd opt for the Morphine if at all possible!

When and if for the time comes that she is struggling to breathe, they often add in mucous thinners, and anti anxiety medicine for that too, even so far as to make the patient unaware, but obviously not you, so that is when it is time for you to get your own anxiety meds from your own Dr if you think you m6need them, as this is so difficult for you too!

I have been right where you are several times with my Dad, and now my FIL. I Never would have thought that FIL could have survived the Pneumonia and Sepsis, and so many other bad things, in his recent hospitalization, and now he is dying in our home, On Hospice, from this new diagnosis of Lung Cancer, and our world is turned upside down.

Hospice has been Godsend, and they have been so very supportive to us, especially for us the Caregivers! Go for the Hospice!

I wish for you and your Mom, peaceful recovery or journey, whichever is God's plan. But honestly, I do believe that Pneumonia is the old man's friend, as our folks would never wish to recover to a point of being even worse off than they were previously, of that I am sure.

Please know that I am thinking of you, and praying for your safety as you drive to and from your visits with your Mom. It is very easy to become tired, anxious and exhausted, when your mind is racing and thinking about other things, so be safe, drink plenty of caffinated beverages, and get safely to you destination! God Love You Sweetie! Love, Stacey
(6)

Oh Barb,
Seeing mom in pain has to be so hard -
is she running a fever?

You be sure to stay hydrated - I know I don't get enough fluids when I'm with mom for hours at a time

Hugs
(5)

Barb this is so hard for you and Mom. Morphine is not the only pain med that can be used to relieve Mom's pain. Many people hear the word "morphine" and panic. Ask the drs to prescribe something stronger and different. Most things can be given into an IV if swallowing is too difficult. Much easier for all concerned. Would bro and SIL be against something different or are they of the opinion that people should be able to withstand pain and not give in ,of course as long as they are not the person suffering. Once the pain is under control Mom may no longer be anxious but if she is they can add an anti anxiety med. Are they crushing the tramadol and giving it in apple sauce.
Don't let them give Fentynal, it is very effective but wears off too quickly.
It is probably better if she is not fed if swallowing is a problem. Just make sure her mouth is kept moist and clean. Nothing worse than feeling your teeth are wearing sweaters. God be with you Barb
(4)

So here's where we are right now.
I lost it this afternoon with the "agony face". There was a long discussion of pain meds last night, the APRN doubled the tramadol and when I arrived today, mom still had the intermittent agony face. I went out to the desk and started crying. The RN in charge, who is a friend of my brother and sil asked if we had considered hospice ( yes YES). She ran mom's hx by the med director who said " why ISN'T she on hospice?" and reminded me that as one of 3 healthcare proxies, i could request an evaluation , which I did. I texted my brother, who showed up to talk about meds other than morphine. Oy. Fentanyl seems to be what he was in favor of, longer acting he thought. Anyway, hospice RN showed up. Sil called in. Bro started signing the papers as sil was driving to the facility. She asked to speak to my brother privately and I waved brother away to talk. Hospice nurse looked at me and said " is that going to be a problem?" I shrugged. He came back 10 minutes later and signed off. Sil came about 5 minutes later and seems resolved.

They gave mom a dose of morphine at about 6pm. It eased her breathing a bit. She started coughing more, which I think is good, but she is very very frail and hasn't eaten in several days. Breath smells sweet, according to hospice nurse.

I have no idea where this is going. My husband is having a urological procedure tomorrow, so I won't be there at all. We shall see what get next few days bring.

I can't tell you all how much comfort and knowledge I've gained from you all, and my appreciation is boundless. I stay hydrated, and am alert to falling asleep while driving. I'm an expert at pulling off and taking 15 minute naps. Thanks Again! B
(9)

Barb, thanks for the update. You and your family have been on my mind since this current episode began. I'm glad that your brother is on board with bringing in hospice. That at least will smooth the way for their involvement.

Still, I can't help envisioning the scenario and thinking how distressing this must be. These are unsettling times.

I'm glad to learn that you're taking good care of yourself. It's too easy for family to be so overcome with decision vs indecision, anxiety, grief, and fear. Stay strong, my friend.
(6)

Oh Barb, I am so sorry your mother is suffering so much. Thank goodness bro and sil are now on board with you. It should make things easier. I hope the morphine continues to make her breathing easier and manage her pain/distress. The sweet breath smell is ketosis from not having eaten and burning up body fats. At this point it is not a bad thing.
" Anorexia may be helpful as the resulting ketosis can lead to a sense of well-being and diminish discomfort."
You really have too much to do with your husband having a procedure tomorrow. I am glad you are looking after you and taking naps when you need them. Big (((((hugs)))) and prayers.
(4)

Just for comic relief... brother called up younger brother to tell him that mom is on hospice and " actively dying". Little brother said, "maybe I can come up Saturday. I can't think about this, my wife's not here." Good laugh was had by all.
(9)

Barb, oh my gosh, we all keep thinking we are ready for this part of the journey then we find out we aren't. Your Mom has always been such a trooper on so many medical issues. I know this is so emotionally draining especially when siblings are also making decisions, but it sounds like everyone is on the same page.

I am thinking about you, your Mom, and the rest of the family.
(3)

Thanks again to you all. Baby bro has always provided the comic relief. He's not a Hasbro in any sense, just a bit clueless ( he's a rocket scientist. Honest!). Big bro says mom is breathing easier but still restless.
(9)

Barb - that is funny. I know of a man who doesn't "get" emotions and has to ask his wife how he feels about any given thing. She tells him and after a while he realises she is right. Glad mum is breathing easier.Hope younger bro manages to get there before Saturday.
(4)

Me too, Golden!
(4)

Barb,
You are in my thoughts.

Glad family is on same page. That helps.

Youngest brother...there's always one...

It is all so sad. You are a real trooper! As much as we think we are prepared...we just aren't so don't beat yourself up over some tears. It's hard.

Peace be with you, your Mom, your brothers and SIL.
(4)

BB, great that bro and sil are finally on board. So hesitant about morphine happens with many. I think people associate it with causing death, addiction (the least of the worries), and who all knows what.

My fil had prostate cancer years ago, was in much pain, still competent, but did not want morphine because of chance of addiction. Least of his worries, IMHO. He passed shortly after starting the morphine, but at least more comfortable.
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter