Follow

My teacher ( a mathematician with reputed papers to his credit) is seriously ill and bedridden in India. He is 76 years old and is suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis. Doctors are advising knee replacement and hip replacement. He is left with no money but some compassionate people are taking care of him (I am in U.S, and my teacher is in India). He is unable to move or sit. He doesn't want to eat much. The care giving volunteers are advised by doctors to make him sit for half an hour or more which he finds very painful. He cannot sit for more than two minutes. He does not have appetite and so does not want to eat much. Ha cannot handle varieties of food and so is getting bored of eating oat meal every time. If he doesn't sit after eating, he throws up. Whenever I talk to my teacher, he is requesting me to ask them not to compel him to sit or eat. His hemoglobin is very low (4) and so doctors are advising blood transfusion. He is still active mentally and keeps up to date in Mathematics and talks to me about Math.
What can I communicate to the volunteers? Any suggestions?
Is blood transfusion, knee replacement, and hip replacement doable at this stage? How difficult is the post surgical care? There is no one to take care of him, just few volunteers.
Thank you,
Vasu

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Hello all,

The volunteeres taking care of my teacher took him to a good hospital in Madras. His haemoglobin has come up to 9 by itself. He has started eating some food (variety). But doctors are observing him to find out if any corrective surgery can be done for his bloody stools, which has stopped by now and his RA.
I will update as I get more information.

Thank you all for the support. I meant a great deal for me.

Vasu
(0)

Hello,

My teacher has been discharged from the hospital. He has not been prescribed any RA drugs probably because RA is not active. He has advised good food and physiotherapy. He is finding the physiotherapy a very painful process. He finds it excruciating particularly when one of the physiotherapist conducts the session. Is it necessary that the therapy should be very intensive to the point being excruciating? This is what the therapists claim. They say it has to be so intensive to be effective. Can he not exert up to a level where he can bear the pain and slowly increase the intensity?

Thank you,

Vasu
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter