Follow

My husband has been in the heating and air conditioning business for 43 years.

Back in January 2023, we gave a woman a price for a heater and air conditioning system. She has to sell her grandmother’s house to pay for Assisted Living. We did not hear back from her.

She calls today and tells me that she stupidly went with someone else, a friend from high school that would give her a great deal. She gave him $5,000.00 in January and took him to April to deliver heater and water heater and as of today the equipment is still sitting in the basement in the boxes. Still no air conditioner delivered. He has many excuses.

She has called contractors and nobody wants to help her. That’s when she called us. So our sales guy is going out this morning to see how we can help her.

She is in the process of reporting this contractor to the State Licensing Board and Consumer Affairs. She trusted this guy who is supposed to be a friend. Make sure when you hire a contractor look at the BBB, Consumer Affairs for complaints. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Cheaper isn’t always better.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Omg Need this is so true! My shingles went flying in sheets during Hurricane Wilma. Someone from FEMA just happened to be there when a roofing company was giving us a quote. They wanted 9K & in 2005, definitely a huge rip off.
(0)

You would not believe how many people get ripped off here after major hurricanes hit.

It’s absolutely horrible. People who have lost everything, living in FEMA trailers and are desperate to have a roof over their head again.

They are suffering emotionally from the shock of losing everything and these sleazy people take advantage of the situation.

The Chinese drywall situation was horrible. Houses were already gutted and then had to be gutted again because it’s the only option.
(0)

We live in an HOA 'controlled' community and while I jokingly refer to it as being a "gulag"--I DO appreciate the rules that state that if you have to hire a contractor/repair person, they must be bonded, insured and show that they carry worker's comp on all their employees.

I am shocked at how many 'handymen' come with nothing more than a tool box and a big ego. We're undergoing some major renovations here and the due diligence has been unbelievable. It's to protect us, and I'm glad, even though it seems to take forever to get something done.

My DH can do most things--but there are some things I will NOT have him do-one is 'scamper up the ladder to the roof' and the other is plumbing. Just too many possible bad things.

We paid a LOT for new windows, but have had zero problems with them.

Going on the 'cheap' is enticing, but can often come with some really bad endings.
(0)

Just a heads up for everyone.

The climate of business is rife with unscrupulous contractors. We are GCs and it is sickening how low the bar has become for licensing and quality of workmanship.

Buyer beware!!!! It is how you have to approach any contractor. Get a copy of their bond and insurance certificate that names you as additional insured for the work. This at least gives you 2 avenues to be made whole without having to go to the law. If they can't provide both, DO NOT use them.

If you find yourself in a situation like this, contact the local registrar of contractors, some states have really good laws to protect the customer AND write a review on the BBB website, it helps others to avoid these jerks.

Lisa, well done for trying to help this customer, many companies won't touch situations like this, leaving the customer in a tough situation.
(0)

What’s the old saying, “You get what you pay for.”

You’re right to say that cheaper is not always better.

It’s sad that people are ripped off by unscrupulous businesses, especially someone who claims to be a friend.

We must do background checks of everyone that we are considering to hire for any job.
(1)

What a rotten thing to do! Kudos to hubby for helping this poor woman out. Even licensed companies try ripping people off. I always read Google reviews & check the BBB but usually go w/my gut feeling. Thanks for the info!
(2)

Thanks for the warning!
(0)

I am in Jersey also. Yes, he is licensed, he said he was Grandfathered in when licensing became to be several years ago. So the licensing board will be on him, he better hope he took permits out. The Granddaughter doesn’t know if he did.
(0)

One of the good things about living in a 55+ retirement community as I do - we have a Facebook page where we can go to see who has found a good place with fair prices for plumbing, handyman, electrical, yard, and almost anything else we need. It is totally local to our retirement community and only residents have access to it. This has saved a lot of people from being scammed.

I always check before hiring anyone. Good comments and bad comments are posted. Also traffic accidents blocking the roads, lost pets, and weather alerts. Also questionable people in the community, like the guy in a blue truck who drives around and yells at people, accosting them in their yards. Got rid of him by police before he did anything drastic.

It's one of the unforeseen benefits of moving to a retirement community.
(0)

Is he licensed. Not sure if anything they can do if not. I have a guy doing some work for me who I asked if he was licensed.

I live in South Jersey. Just had a water heater put in, the old one was 20 yrs old. Had to pay big bucks because we weren't up to code. Township inspected the work and Okd it.
(0)

There have been numerous stories on my NextDoor feed of unscrupulous handymen who do this sort of thing. I'm sure they particularly prey on elders.
(1)

Your note here serves as fair warning.

Handel on the Law always has these stories of someone getting things done on the cheap, ending in a disaster to the tune of 1,000s.

I am afraid we elders are particularly at risk. In my own city of San Francisco, elders in their homes are sometimes house-rich and cash poor. And it's often difficult to get a "handyman" at ANY price. Last week we had an estimate to look at a light switch of 200.00 an hour.

My partner used to do a lot of things himself; now at 83 ladder phobia's a thing' so that's not happening. This switch, it took TWO "electricians" to mess with? Turned out to be the Lowe's light fixture itself.
The switch was fine. Hee hee.
One expensive fixture now in the tenant's bathroom!

Just a sort of "this-is-why" part to the story about why seniors try to go on the cheap and thereby get themselves in trouble.

Thanks for the warning!
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter